white
    98 SS

In serious need of next mod advice

I have Lt's/ORY and 160 thermo on the way.

Car (98 SS) currently has catback w/ qtp cutout, z06 clutch, 85 maf (de-screened), lid, Nitto DR's and 4.10 gears. It is a garage queen w/ 18k miles on it

Due to the fact that the nearest reputable dyno tune shop is 4 hours away, I want to make sure I get my 'bang for the buck' for a tune subsequent to the headers install.

Question: Should I go with a cam (or something else) along with the LT's? so I can make the best out of a 4 hr drive for a quality tune.

Question: If so, do I need to get springs, rockers, etc? My knowledge is limited regarding cams, so any info for a novice regarding necessary parts or concerns involved is helpful.

Question: How much does the answer to the above question cost? and How much power can I expect? and How hard on the engine is it?

99 Firebird Formula

A cam would be a good idea now, since your tuner is so far away. If you have the money, do a LS6 intake manifold at the same time, that's a good seat of the pants gain as well.

Pretty much any cam you go with, you will also need valvesprings. The cam itself costs around $350-$450 depending on who you buy from. Figure another $150-$200 for the valvesprings. You'll also need gaskets. The timing chain is up to you...I would say replace it while you're in there...but the car only has 18k so I don't know. Another good idea is hardened pushrods. You can keep stock rockers.

Your best bet is to call around to different sponsors, oftentimes they put together nice packages that include a lot of what you need, to save a bit of $$. Overall...I would expect to spend at least $550 on parts alone, more if you decide to upgrade more things.

You can gain a lot from a good sized cam...I think a 224ish range would net around 40hp after tuning. The LS6 intake manifold will help it breathe better as well...

Silver
    2002 Z28

definately go for a new intake manifold, and a ASP Pulley... definately have the pulley swapped if you get a cam install because it requires no extra work

white
    98 SS

thx - anybody else have opinions?

Thread Information