Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This seems like a bit pricey...

This is a discussion on This seems like a bit pricey... within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by FORD RECOVERY EXPERT 12,000+ for 475hp??? yeah.... that's a whole new shortblock... and doing the labor yourself... ...

Candy Blue
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by FORD RECOVERY EXPERT View Post
    12,000+ for 475hp???
    yeah.... that's a whole new shortblock... and doing the labor yourself... hmmm..... ok...

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I think he was referring more to the guys that just slap a sc on there and call it a day. There's nothing wrong with that IMO but it's apples and oranges compared to the parts list in this thread or an all out FI car. Forged internals ain't cheap either and in the long run you'll pay for a well done FI car too.
    Yes sir, thats exactly what I was referring to. Most people buy a simple kit and install it and call it a day,,,and they can make decent power,,,but if you build a power adder car correctly they are in no way cheap at all, and can easily exceed the cost of the original quote in this post.

35 hrs labor? Many of those parts have overlapping labor times, and it sounds like they are charging for each individually. Secondly, the TrickFlow heads do make good power, but their bank for the buck value is horrendous. You could easily come within 10-20rwhp of those heads with a more budget minded setup, and do it for almost $2000 LESS in parts alone - heads only!

I hate to pick on some of his prices, but you can buy a fully ported FAST 90mm intake shipped to your door for the same price as he wants just for the intake alone - savings $250. Plugs are marked up like 300%. The Nick Williams TB is $40-$50 overpriced.

The ARH headers are nice headers, but you can save $300-$400 by going with a coated set of Hookers or Pacesetters...

I could go on an on... He's quoting prices on some of the highest quality, and most expensive parts (they make more money on those) available. More budget minded parts could get you 450-460rwhp easily, and do it for just over half his quoted price!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

so what's a shop supposed to do? Look all over the web for parts and sell them to the customer as cheap as they get them? If you're buying parts from a shop and having them put on there expect to pay more than if you hunt around on the web. It's called mark up. Go to any repair shop in any town and have them do work and then ask if you paid the same for parts as they did, won't happen.

Orion is correct. What shop has the time to surf the net for pricing. It's a business, so markup has a factor as well. Plus some name brands dictate what a supplier has to sell the part for,,,MSD is one example. Not to mention some shops have certain parts they like to use,,,whether it be because they like the quality, performance, durability etc....and the reputation of the shop is on the line if something fails or does not perform as expected.
    There are cheaper parts out there of course with 100's of brand names, but a good reputable high end shop probably won't be using them for these reasons.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 02-18-2008 at 01:08 PM.

As an example, the dyno/machine shop we use,,,,prefers the Trick Flow heads exclusively for every engine he builds. Simply because for years they have supplied him with heads that work flawless right out of the box that needed nothing nor have they had problems after being in service for thousands of miles. It's that kind of part that shops need to keep customers happy and stay in business, especially this day and age.
    Of course he will go with any part you like, any good shop should be willing to work with you, but he will highly recommend the Trick Flows.

I can't say the same for the more expensive AFR's that I run.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I dont think he is saying they should surf the net for the best priced parts and sell them at their price. I think he is just saying it is possible to achieve those numbers for less money.IMO

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    I dont think he is saying they should surf the net for the best priced parts and sell them at their price. I think he is just saying it is possible to achieve those numbers for less money.IMO
    yes, you can find those parts on the web and make that power cheaper but is that shop's prices out of line was the original question and I don't think they are. You can nickle and dime that list to death. I see a few things you could save a little money on but that's nickle and diming that list. Overall those prices ain't bad and the key point here is it's a shop, the shop itself has to make some money. If you were doing the shopping yourself and the work yourself you could save some money off that price but he's not. He's taking it to a shop to have everything done so those prices aren't all that bad I don't think.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    As an example, the dyno/machine shop we use,,,,prefers the Trick Flow heads exclusively for every engine he builds. Simply because for years they have supplied him with heads that work flawless right out of the box that needed nothing nor have they had problems after being in service for thousands of miles.
    I guess that shop is unfamiliar with the TFS G1 heads for the SBC. Those things were pure crap.

Everyones experiences will be different. But I can tell you for years the Trick Flows have been his favorite to use. We built a 406 sb chevy with 18 degree heads out of the box that topped 600 hp on gas a few months ago on a very conservative DTS. The 23 degree heads are also decent power makers and really aren't priced any higher than some other heads. I know the Trick Flows are also a big favorite among the ford crowd in the area here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information