Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Seeking longterm storage advice

I've moved to Boston and left my car at home so I'll be storing it for about 9 months and year and insuring/driving it for June-Aug.

I've used stabilizers in the past for winter so i'm just assuming i'd have to put in more of that annually. It will be on jackstands for those 9 months and I have plastic sheets under it to block moisture from the ground. I've also got it under a car cover, the exhaust tips have rags in them to prevent mice from nesting. I was thinking about taking the battery out cuz it will die and putting some moisture absorbing packets inside the car.

Anything else you'd recommend?

Royal pain in the.... Phantom2kz's Avatar

2001 Z-28 A4 NBM
    2002 35th anni SS M6#1696

have you thought about rodent control?
    mice like parked cars

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Battery Tender. Leave the windows cracked just a hair for air circulation to prevent mold. Not entirely certain it works, but some mothballs in containers placed under the hood to keep the varmints from lunching on your wire harnesses. Keep the fuel tank close to topped off as it will inhibit condensation in the tank (not as big a problem with plastic, but better to be safe than having water in the gas). A breathable car cover.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Some things I have learned over the years. We used to store our charriots for months and months between battles you know.

Change the fluids and filters. Refill with fresh fluids. Fill up the gas tank. Treat fuel with stabil. Add 1 oz of TCW3 2 stroke oil to 5 gallons of gas. Drive it to get the fluids up to temp and the fuel treatment into the chambers/injectors etc. Park it. Jack stands are good. Put those steel wool pots and pans cleaner pads in your exhaust pipes. Crack your windows a inch. Plug a battery tender into it. Put mouse and ant bait packs under it. Take pictures of everything in case of theft or fire. Cover it.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Some things I have learned over the years. We used to store our charriots for months and months between battles you know.

Change the fluids and filters. Refill with fresh fluids. Fill up the gas tank. Treat fuel with stabil. Add 1 oz of TCW3 2 stroke oil to 5 gallons of gas. Drive it to get the fluids up to temp and the fuel treatment into the chambers/injectors etc. Park it. Jack stands are good. Put those steel wool pots and pans cleaner pads in your exhaust pipes. Crack your windows a inch. Plug a battery tender into it. Put mouse and ant bait packs under it. Take pictures of everything in case of theft or fire. Cover it.
    Thanks for the advice everyone. Definitely going to take care of a few more things that y'all mentioned when i go home this weekend.

My car is already up on jackstands.. i dont really want to take it back down to drive it, plus it's insured only for storage and there's still plenty of snow/salt in CT. I added stabil to the gas right before i filled it up before storage but I will get those other additives and change other fluids. Since I don't want to drive it can i just let it run on the jackstands for a bit and maybe give a few revs?

Thread Information