black
    2002 trans am

see if yall can figure this out! please help!

my 02 trans am has been misfiring pretty bad but only sometimes, when it misfires, my water temp gauge goes all the way down and when it starts to run good the gauge goes back up. Sometimes the car wont start, it will just crank until i pump the gas pedal many times. also some lights started coming on at random times ( abs inop-tcs off- brake). this started after i wrecked my car( front right side). What do yall think is the problem? I read a bulletin something about alarms affecting fuel ratio or something? and i do have an alarm. or could it be that the computer got damaged during the crash knowing that it is mounted on the front right side? please help!

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Check the area that was repaired. If the ECM is in that area it could have been damaged. If you have a junkyard in your area, get an ECM from another T/A and swap that in and run the car for any codes/issues.

red
    99 camaro

My water temp sensor was broken and caused this when the temp guage went to zero the car would sputter like it was running out of gas. When the guage reading would go back to norm the car would run good. I changed the spark plugs and accidentally cracked the plastic sensor housing and didnt know. Its on the drivers head in the front above the #1 plug. Hope this helps.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Sounds like the AIR sensor is what you broke.

nbm
    99 z28

how long after you had the car repaired? I would look at that engine coolant temp sensor and look over the connection for the pcm. do a quik check on all the sensor connections. something may be unplugged or not seated all the way in the socket. maybe get the car scanned as well.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

have you scanned for error codes???

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Scan for codes first. Also since it was hit in the front right check all the connections near the battery and all of your grounds. Was the battery damaged?

black
    2002 trans am

thanks all for yalls replies. i was thinking the computer had been damaged because it was in that area but i wrecked like 8 months ago and it started misfiring like that like a couple months ago (although those three lights started coming on right after the wreck). thanks for that response, i am going to replace that sensor because it did break off when i installed my headers and i just put silicone to hold the connector in place.

black
    2002 trans am

the ses light only comes on sometimes and stays on for a day. the codes are only o2 sensor codes. the battery doesnt seem to be damaged although my alternator did just get replaced because it left me stranded when it went out on me. the car not only misfires but sometimes also revs up when the temp gauge goes down

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by pimpin78transams View Post
    thanks all for yalls replies. i was thinking the computer had been damaged because it was in that area but i wrecked like 8 months ago and it started misfiring like that like a couple months ago (although those three lights started coming on right after the wreck). thanks for that response, i am going to replace that sensor because it did break off when i installed my headers and i just put silicone to hold the connector in place.
    I believe this is at the root of your issues. Those sensors are cheap and very easy to change. Swap that out. I'm guessing now that you may have some fouled plugs from it running so rich and you may have even fouled the O2's. Start with that sensor though and maybe pull a couple of the easy to reach plugs and give them a look.

Bright Rally Red
    2002 Camaro 35thLE

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I believe this is at the root of your issues. Those sensors are cheap and very easy to change. Swap that out. I'm guessing now that you may have some fouled plugs from it running so rich and you may have even fouled the O2's. Start with that sensor though and maybe pull a couple of the easy to reach plugs and give them a look.
    Could he get his o2's replaced for the less than 100k even if this caused them to fail.

Thinking of how he can save some cash if they are bad.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Dabom75 View Post
    Could he get his o2's replaced for the less than 100k even if this caused them to fail.

Thinking of how he can save some cash if they are bad.
    I seriously doubt it.....is there even a warranty on the O2's? They're a wear/maintenance item like spark plugs.

black
    2002 trans am

man thanks so much guys i replaced the coolant temp sensor and it ran much better. i appreciate all yalls help.
    my extended warranty had replaced an o2 sensor for me once hopefully they can replace some more. thanks for the trying to save me some cash part also really appreciate it.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

onto your abs light issue....if you hit that passenger side you may have either messed up the wheel sensor on that side or the wiring to the wheel sensor. How bad was the damage and was the hub replaced? That abs sensor is inside the wheel hub.

If you keep getting misfires pull a couple of plugs and see if they're fouled.

black
    2002 trans am

i will check the plugs when it gets out of the shop, extended warranty is going to cover a few things for me thank god! i think they said something about an electronic brake control module. if that does not solve the problem ill let you know and ill go ahead and check that speed sensor thanks for the advice.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

^^Good thing you have that extended warranty. Those things are expensive.

Thread Information