Security Problem

This is a discussion on Security Problem within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I am having this problem with my car about two months after getting a after-market security alarm and a kill ...

Black
    2001 Z28 Camaro

Security Problem

I am having this problem with my car about two months after getting a after-market security alarm and a kill switch installed. sometimes i can start my car with no problems and other times I can't, and what happens when i can't is the Security Light will come on and stay on radio and other electronics will come on also but the car won't start or even try to start and I have to wait until the security light goes off which takes about 2-8 minutes and sometimes the car still won't start (security light comes back on when this happens). I have asked the person that installed the alarm and he told me to put the car in neutral and try starting which has only worked 2 times. I have also noticed the Security ligh will come on sometimes when driving but it doesn't affect anything. Does anyone know what might be causing this or how to fix this?

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

sounds like a problem with the vats bypass if you have to wait a few minutes to start it, do you know how they bypassed it?

Black
    2001 Z28 Camaro

no i don't know how they bypassed it. my car also has a remote-start up if that helps

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

yeah they bypassed your vats then, they should have used a relay with a resistor to mimick the chip in your key. They either didn't hook it up to pulse BEFORE the crank so it's just a matter of beating the started on luck, or the resistor isn't quite the right value etc. You need to know how they bypassed it, somewhere in their setup there's a weak point

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Agreed,it's going to be the VATS. If you remove the knee-buster plate right under steering column you will probably be able to see where they have the bypass set-up.I wired up my own remote starter set-up and bypassed the VATS with a resistor,the connection loosened up later and gave the wierd symptoms you described to a tee.

Black
    2001 Z28 Camaro

Ok thanks, so should i take it back to the person who installed the remote starter or is there anyway i can fix this by myself? And the person who installed the remote starter said he can only fix it when it is actually happening so I guess he wasn't alot of help.

black
    1999 Formula

I have had the same problem on my 99 formula except i do not have a remote start up switch. Has not happened it quite some time though. I do not live near the shop who installed the alarm so going back there is out of the question. Once I find where they bypassed the vats system, what do i need to look for and how do i correct the problem? Thanks,

Kurt

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Well like I was saying-remove the dash plate(kneeboard) under the steering column.The wires from the VATS are easy to get to where they come out of the steering column and in all likelyhood you will be able to find the place where they disabled or bypassed the system.The yellow wires are the airbag(!),don't mess w/them.The wires for the turnsignals, horn, and cruise control,etc,are all together ,and the VATS stuff is easy to spot.You will see something that doesn't look like OEM if this is where they modified the VATS. The idea here is that there is a loose connection that is causing your intermittent condition,just make sure that everything is tight.

black
    1999 Formula

thanks o2z28, will take a look at it as soon as i can solve my damn window regulator problem.

kurt

Black
    2001 Z28 Camaro

Ok thanks, I will look at it sometime tomorrow and see if that helps.

Black
    2001 Z28 Camaro

ok i think wat o2z28 told me to do fixed the problem , i will let you know if it happens again. Thanks

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Come on, at least say my name too!!!!, I think it was a team effort

black
    1999 Formula

Thanks as well Z

Kurt

Black
    2001 Z28 Camaro

Thanks also to Z didn't mean to leave anyone out.

Thread Information