Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Security light coming on randomly??

My security light on the IPC will come on with the bulb check on key on and then it will stay on for a few minutes and then turn off. And then it will come on randomly when im driving and stay on for a few minutes and then turn off again. Anyone else had this problem?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I suggest taking the vehicle over to AutoZone or similar and have the codes read, unless you have a scanner yourself. Post the codes here and that will narrow it down. It could be happening from a number of things.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

No codes in powertrain, body or chassis. I just realized that my car hasn't been starting lately and every time it doesn't crank my security light is on. I'm guessing its something to do with vats in the lock cylinder?

red black
    98Z28

Yep its vats, probably a broken wire right at the key cylinder. Find the two wires going down the column read with ohm meter if you get an open broken wire, most common problem. Do the by-pass be done with it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

So unplug the vats connector to the lock column and put in a resistor with the same resistance as the pellet in my key?

red black
    98Z28

Thats the trick......put resistor in the bottom side of plug. What I did was cut the connector on the key side of plug, soldered in resistor then moved wires to the obd2 port area , now I can take the resistors with me when I leave the car if I feel its needed.
    Last edited by 89RS&98Z28; 10-11-2012 at 09:18 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Sorry, I misread your original post I agree it's probably VATS related. There is a write-up here on by-passing it if you end up needing to do that.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm on my phone so copy/paste is a pain in the ass......look at the top of the general section under the tech sticky & there's a huge thread there on the vats bypass. It's easy so don't over complicate it. I think thats what a lot if people do & it gives them fits. It helps if you already know how to read an ohm meter.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

I had a new key cut at the stealership for $21 with a new pellet resistor in it. Comparing my old keys to the new key there is a lot more metal on the new key pellet. I tried starting my car with the old ones and it wouldn't crank an then I tried the new one and it worked so maybe this will fix it for a year or two. I like the idea of a removable resistor into the vats connector. If my new key fails I will probably do the bypass with a removable resistor.

red black
    98Z28

I hope your right and the new key works awhile, but more likely than not wire is making intermitint contact. Get the pig tail from a doner car and be ready. I found mine acted up most when I was in a hurry. Wiggiling the wheel and adjusting tilt would help at times ,but there comes a time it will strand you. Good luck.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

I hope I'm right too lol. I guess I should go ahead and get a resistor to keep in my car and familiarize myself with the vats connector so if it does strand me ill have a backup. Do you know what watt resistor I need? I noticed there 1/2 watt and 1/4 watt. My key pellet measured 680 ohms.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Well my new key failed me. I went ahead and did the bypass, it was simple and everything is working smoothly.

red black
    98Z28

Good news.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Glad you got the bypass figured out. For the best....it was only a matter time before it failed on you & it never happens when you have all day to mess with it. It goes at the worst possible time.

Thread Information