black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

security light on which key do i have?(pics)

ok.after i rebuilt my suspension,i took my car to pep boys for an alignment.they test drove the car after they were done and then i got in it to drive home.halfway home i realize the security light is on.my assumption is this...the tech used the steering column to get his fat ass out of my lowered car and somehow broke the connection on the white wire.either that or he was really dogging the steering column.idk.anyhoo,ive been reading the vats sticky and the picture of the key that is to be tested for resistance is different from my key.the key in the sticky has a black oval with a straight chip in the middle.i got a 1998 ws6.my key has 2 brass dots on either side.so where do i measure the resistance to get the right resistor?
    Last edited by Leeroyws6; 03-28-2010 at 05:30 PM.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Is it on constantly in or just once in a while when you start it. Mine comes on when I use the remote start and sometime when I use the key but it goes off after 5 or 10 min of driving.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I've never seen a key like that and I have a 98. I would guess you measure by touching the probes to the brass "dots". I'm sure it works the same way....just a slightly different key. I also doubt it had anything to do with the alignment...most like just a coincidence.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Ya my 98 key also looks different but as long as the contacts touch with the right resistance it starts. I actually put a remote start/alarm in and set it up so it completly bypassed the chip on my other pontiac. Going to do the same to this.

black
    01 Z06

security light

I asked this question a while ago ? mine is always on ? I didn't get a lot of feed back on it .

red
    2001 Ws6 Trans Am M6

bcm

that sounds like how my problems started too. it was either the body control module or the ignition control module. the dealer couldn't figure out which of the two it was so they installed both of them, a new key tumbler, and new key. real pain in the ass! but it hasn't happened in almost two years.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I started having the same issue a while ago. I switched to a new key and the problem went away. You can give that a try. hope it helps.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Butch2000 View Post
    I asked this question a while ago ? mine is always on ? I didn't get a lot of feed back on it .
    Mine has been on for a year now I did the homer simpson mod!

Little bit of electrical tape and by by light lol

I constantly am doing something to the car so i'll look into when I have nothing higher on the list to do.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Butch2000 View Post
    look in the top of the "general" section here under the tech stickies thread. Read that vats bypass thread and that should take care of the problem.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Long as the car starts and runs your ok. My security light comes on every once in a while and my air bag light is always in but it goes off every one in a while. It's that great GM quality.

Thread Information