Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Security light

This is a discussion on Security light within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; i used to own a 96 buick regal with pass II and i got stranded once and i did the ...

artic white
    2002 Trans Am ws6

i used to own a 96 buick regal with pass II and i got stranded once and i did the 3 minute wait thing and after i got the car to run i went to a gm dealership and it was my key i guess if the little pointy bumps on each side the resistor pellet on the key gets worn down flat it wont make a contact and it will set the security system off.......make a visual inspection of your key once in a while and make sure the points arn't worn down a new key is a easy fix
    2002 arctic white ws.6 six speed, MTI clear air lid, Diablosport tuner

Blue
    1998 T/A

it sounds like the problem i'm having. Every once in a while my security liht will com on and the car won't start. if i wait the 3 min and start it the second the light comes off the car usually starts. sometimes it'll take several attempts. over ten sometimes. it's only once in a while but it can be a real pain. i saw your suggestions for fixing it and was just wonderin if u had the same problem b4.

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Andy-rdz77 View Post
    it sounds like the problem i'm having. Every once in a while my security liht will com on and the car won't start. if i wait the 3 min and start it the second the light comes off the car usually starts. sometimes it'll take several attempts. over ten sometimes. it's only once in a while but it can be a real pain. i saw your suggestions for fixing it and was just wonderin if u had the same problem b4.
    Yes, I had that problem. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didnt. Seem like the VATS is about to go out.

Red
    1979 MALIBU, SBC T56.

I can only find resistors with odd values. Like 220 470 330 and crap like that. I tried with two 470s that make 940ohms which is what I have a number 4 key. 887-942 ohms. That didn't work so I soldered a 220,220 and a 470 to make 910ohms and I had to cut the purlpe wire to install it and that is as close a I came to my range. With my wire contraption it has no response at all. Like some one removed the battery.WHAT DID I DO WRONG? It cranks over fine but will NOT start when I twist wires back together.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

remember that resistors have a tolerance. A gold band resistor is 5% and a silver band is 10%. You want to land as close to the middle of that range as possible. The #4 is actually 852-942 and 887 is the median. You want to get them as close to that 887 as possible.
    Take however many gold band resistors it takes to get the median and solder them end to end ( series) and solder them across the purple and white wires on the module side of that plug at the base of the column. One end should be soldered to the purple wire and the other end to the white wire. Hope this helps.

Red
    1979 MALIBU, SBC T56.

Waited like 24 hrs and it still wont start. It's either a bad ignition switch at the base of the column or the start-enable relay(which I have no idea where it is or what it looks like)

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by kensz28 View Post
    Waited like 24 hrs and it still wont start. It's either a bad ignition switch at the base of the column or the start-enable relay(which I have no idea where it is or what it looks like)
    I believe that is behind your spare tire..its alittle black box.

Red
    1979 MALIBU, SBC T56.

Turns out it was fuel pressure related. changed filter and she fired right up. I think pump maybe on the way out too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information