Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: security light?

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

security light?

My security light popped on right when I got into third gear after leaving the gas station and stayed on/won't turn off.

Am I going to be dealing with VATS? What sorts of things would cause the security light to turn on? Anyone have this happen before? I just am terrified of being stuck in a bad part of town and my car not start up when I go to leave work...

I hope it's not VATS

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Ignition switch/cylinder wiring, bad key resistor (dirty) or the security module is all I have

I know this probably doesn't help your situation, but there is a bypass kit (not really the ideal fix if it becomes an ongoing issue, but an option).

Also, here is a thread with some things in it that might help ya out.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1427743

Good luck and I hope you don't get stranded.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Well it most likely is a VATS issue.

From what I have read, if the light comes on while driving and stays on.

The computer read a proper resistance when starting but while driving it no longer read the proper response. The computer gets put into a open mode and no longer checks the key again until something happens. (Someone else will hopefully have the specifics, I have forgotten)

The security light has been lit on the 96 for over a year now. Starts everytime and that is what I found out when I researched the problem.

Your lock cylinder is bad or your key is dirty/ so worn out it no longer makes contact.

I replaced the lock cylinder in my 89 camaro and will not do it again. I will probably do the bypass if needed since my cars are garage kept.

When I drove the camaro I lived in an apartment and someone tried to steal it. Only thing that kept them from taking it was VATS. They had the steering column broken and I drove it to work the next day starting it with channel locks. Same way then intended to start it but VATS saved my ass.

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

It started up about an hour ago.
    I guess like you said it was dirty or just lost some resistance for some reason
    I def don't wanna get rid of VATS for the security reason, that's for damn sure!

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by tep98ws6 View Post
    I def don't wanna get rid of VATS for the security reason, that's for damn sure!
    the thing is ... if some one really wants your car they are going to take it... vats isnt' going to help much...

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by tep98ws6 View Post
    How much stuff is hanging from your keys? If you have a lot try to lighten the load some. I use a quick clip and only let my FOB, door, and ignition key on the ring running the car. Sometimes too much weight on the ignition key can cause issues down the road. Just a thought. But as others stated there could be another issue starting to show up with your VATS..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    the thing is ... if some one really wants your car they are going to take it... vats isnt' going to help much...
    true ... unless i have a dumbass try and steal it
    i'll keep vats til i have my kill switch installed

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    How much stuff is hanging from your keys? If you have a lot try to lighten the load some. I use a quick clip and only let my FOB, door, and ignition key on the ring running the car. Sometimes too much weight on the ignition key can cause issues down the road. Just a thought. But as others stated there could be another issue starting to show up with your VATS..
    good thinking, i didn't think of that. i have a lanyard thing (stfu, i got it from carey hart at supercross), car keys, garage key, house key, tool box keys, timing chain tensioner clip and a beer bottle cap ... i'll take some of the crap off and see if that will help a little

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

When my VATS was going out, one day it would be on others not. This could be a sign that it is going out. I'd be carefull cause you could end up stranded some where. If I were you Id find out the Ohm resistance of you key and get everything ready in case it does go off some where. Or have cash for a tow truck if you do not wnat to leave it.

Your car is a M6 so if it does go off and doesnt let you turn your car on do a push start. That worked for me.

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

Here is my VATS bypass if you need it.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61262

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Might also try cleaning the ignition key with some alcohol.

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

My security light came on the other day as well, and won't go off. Does the computer throw a code that may tell us what the security light means????

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by herculesrider1 View Post
    My security light came on the other day as well, and won't go off. Does the computer throw a code that may tell us what the security light means????
    read this thread...there's some good info in there. vats sticky

easy/cheap to bypass

Red

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    read this thread...there's some good info in there. vats sticky

easy/cheap to bypass
    Thanks Orion, but I wanted to make sure that if I spent $300 on an ignition switch, that that was what it really was, hence the inquiry on the code, if any, the ECM might throw. I have seen the VATS disable thread, but really don't want to disable my alarm system. Appreciate the link to the VATS!!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Thanks Orion, but I wanted to make sure that if I spent $300 on an ignition switch, that that was what it really was, hence the inquiry on the code, if any, the ECM might throw. I have seen the VATS disable thread, but really don't want to disable my alarm system. Appreciate the link to the VATS!!
    there won't be any codes from it.....there are a couple of scenarios with vats. Usually it'll either let you start and drive normally with the security light on or it'll disable the starter and fuel pump and after ~4 minutes it'll let you start the car with the key.
    If your light is on you can almost bet that's your problem and you can try swapping keys to make sure it isn't your key that's the issue but most of the time it's in the ignition cylinder. I even tried cleaning my key pellet with an eraser and that didn't help.

Red

The ignition cylinder seems to be responsible for several issues, not only the security light, but the issue of no starting as well. Is it very difficult to change out the ignitiion cylinder? When you purchase a new ignition cylinder, does it come with new keys? Questions, questions, questions.....

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

The ignition cylinder seems to be responsible for several issues, not only the security light, but the issue of no starting as well. Is it very difficult to change out the ignitiion cylinder? When you purchase a new ignition cylinder, does it come with new keys? Questions, questions, questions.....
    I'd imagine a new ignition cyl would be pretty useless without keys for it..

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I'd imagine a new ignition cyl would be pretty useless without keys for it..
    I used to think I was the biggest smartass in the world until I met you

Red

Does anyone know how to install one?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

*diconnect batt*

1) Remove steering wheel.
    2) Remove turn signal arm.
    3) Remove keys
    4) remove buzzer switch
    5) put key in and turn to the "lock" possition
    6) remove lock cylinder retaining screw
    7) Disconnect the pass key connector, and remove retaining clip from housing cover
    8) Pull the harness through the column.
    9) Reverse to install new one..

Hope this helps..

Thread Information