silver
    99 trans-am

security flashes on dash

about 6 months ago i put a new key tumbler in my car along with new keys because it kept throwing a security code on the dash and then it would,nt let me start it for 3 minutes, it started to do it again, it's done it twice this week, am i going to have to put a new tumbler in it or is this a key issue?

red
    2000 ss camaro

i had the same issue without replacing any ignition parts try just unpluging your battery for about 3 min thats what i did and did not have any prolems since. a guy at a local shop also told me to tuch the pos and neg together real quick but i didnt try that

Black
    '97 Trans Am

I had the security light on my car once. If I remember correctly it was because of the little chip in the keys and I needed to get new keys. It was a long time ago so it might have been more than that.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I would just bypass the PASSKEY system if it were giving you that much trouble. There are two wires under the kneebuster panel,under the steering column, that you can wire in the proper resistance (same as the key) and everything should be ok then . Just get a resistor from Radio Shack that matches the keys resistance. Usually, as I understand it, the problem is in the contacts that touch the key. If the problem still exists after bypassing it, then you would have a wiring issue or body control module issue. At least you would be narrowing it down.

what is your email address,i have a complete pdf that explains the entire operation plus electrical and key-parts info.this site will not allow a pdf bigger than 19.5kb.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

question about that vats bypass....the ohms range for my key is the 11,800 ohms(11,328-12,292)....the only 12k resistor I could find is a 1/4 watt one, is that a high enough wattage to stop from burning out? I looked frickin everywhere...no one has one.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

the key resistor is actually 1/8 watt. 1/4 watt is fine, most remote start places use them, and I used a 1/4 watt as well in mine and it works just fine. I went to them when I was trying to find one since radio shack didn't offer what I needed at all and they said to use 1/4

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Yea radio shack blows.....I had to buy a pack of 500 assorted resistors there in order to get a 12k one

Thanks for confirming that Z....did you do the starter kill on your alarm after you did the vats bypass? I was thinking about doing that since i'm doing the bypass.
    Last edited by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn; 04-29-2006 at 07:53 PM.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
    Yea radio shack blows.....I had to buy a pack of 500 assorted resistors there in order to get a 12k one

Thanks for confirming that Z....did you do the starter kill on your alarm after you did the vats bypass? I was thinking about doing that since i'm doing the bypass.
    Yeah, I did. make sure you keep an extra battery for your remote in the car just in case, that one almost got me already. I went to an electronics store and bought a resistor for like $0.40 mine was 12k also. radio shack had most of the other ones, we were the unlucky fellas I guess.

Thread Information