Thread: security

sebring silver
    2000 z28

security

my security light came on the other day. my friends were in my car so i hit the panic button then shut it off, car stars and runs fine, but down the road the light came on. the alarm system does work fine but the light wont go out, any input?

Silver
    1998 Trans AM WS6

ya same thing happens to my car and it wont let me start it... dunno

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by silverz28camaro
    my security light came on the other day. my friends were in my car so i hit the panic button then shut it off, car stars and runs fine, but down the road the light came on. the alarm system does work fine but the light wont go out, any input?
    You got lucky unlike 98WSSick because your PASS II failed when it was running....if it fails when the car isn't running it won't start.

Basically your PASS II isn't working anymore and you need to find out why. In my situation(and most of other peoples) it was a break somewhere inbetween the ignition cylinder and the 2 white wires going to the BCM wiring. This is more then likely what happened to you..

You'll need a multi-meter to trace down the prob. First you'll need to find the resistance of the resistor in your ignition key. It'll be 1 of 15 different values....pm your email addy and i'll send you the files you need to do the bypass. Then take the kick panel off from under the steering column...look under there and you'll see 2 white wires connected to 2 multi-colored wires. Disconnect the connector and then stick your key in the ignition but don't turn it. Measure the value of the 2 white wires using a multi-meter....technically it should match the resistance of your key...but it probably won't. If it doesn't match then you have a break like mine....somewhere inbetween the cylinder and the connector. If it does match then the problem is in the BCM or the wiring going to it....and it'll need to be replaced.

Sticking a resistor of the same value as your key into the mulit-colored wiring(the bypass) going to the BCM will fool the system into thinking everything is working and the right key is in the ignition. Bad thing is the factory starter kill won't work anymore. Or just replace the ignition cylinder, but that is pretty expensive. Either way your security light will go off and start as normal.

Just PM me your email and i'll send you the files...

Thread Information