Thread: Security

2002 CETA 6M COUPE

Security

When I turned the car on tonight the "security" light came on and stayed on.

what could be the prob?

black
    2002 WS6

Some thing with the VATS system. Probably the motion sensor died.

2002 CETA 6M COUPE

how much is it to fix??? do i need to take a trip to the stealership?? or is simple enough for me to do it?

black
    2002 WS6

Simple enough to do it your self, its behind the panel where the spare would be on the fender, you can disconnect it and leave it or replace it, Its simple plug and play. I have mine disabled to keep it from setting the alarm off all the time.

That is on the assumption that your car starts fine with no trouble.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

They are vibration sensors. Not motion and mine did this last night after dropping it in snow. Its the resistor in the key that got dirty. Buy some air in a can and blow out the keyhole and then clean your key with rubbing alcohol and run it back and fourth into the keyhole.

Should reset it, the vibration sensor would set the alarm off and probably keep the red light on in the heater dash vent..

98 Formula
    06 duramax

try the above mentioned first and see if that helps. You can also just try switching keys to see if that helps you but chances are your vats is about done. The wires in the column just get old and break or wear down to where they don't make contact. The system is a pretty easy and cheap one to bypass. $10 or less and it'll take you ~30 minutes to do if you decide to go that route. By pass instructions:
    vats bypass

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

damn i wish i would have known that i spent money on extra keys that I ended up losing 1 anyways

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    try the above mentioned first and see if that helps. You can also just try switching keys to see if that helps you but chances are your vats is about done. The wires in the column just get old and break or wear down to where they don't make contact. The system is a pretty easy and cheap one to bypass. $10 or less and it'll take you ~30 minutes to do if you decide to go that route. By pass instructions:
    vats bypass
    My security light came on while driving on new years eve and had stayed on since. I've had no problem starting the car. I switched to my back up key but there's no difference.

I've seen a lot of recommendations on bypassing the VATS system. What about actually fixing the problem? I'm curious why the default answer is bypass rather then fix. Does it involve replacing the ignition system and getting new keys in exchange for lots and lots of cash?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Thewilldog View Post
    My security light came on while driving on new years eve and had stayed on since. I've had no problem starting the car. I switched to my back up key but there's no difference.

I've seen a lot of recommendations on bypassing the VATS system. What about actually fixing the problem? I'm curious why the default answer is bypass rather then fix. Does it involve replacing the ignition system and getting new keys in exchange for lots and lots of cash?
    I'm not sure what the price is but it's a lot more expensive and a lot more involved than just bypassing it and once you do fix it you'll most likely be doing it again at some point. Just easier and cheaper to replace it. Couple of resistors for $10 and 30 minutes of your time.

Pewter
    02 WS-6 w/ Ram Air

I was looking at this place. (http://www.carlocksandkeys.com/servlet/StoreFront)
    If you look at page 11 under keys you will find the VATS key.
    If you look at page 29 under locks you will find the VATS lock cylinder.
    Both under the Chevrolet list.

Pewter
    02 WS-6 w/ Ram Air

Thumbs up

Well I got the security light to go off on my 96 Z. Spent 1.00 on a five pack of 1.5K ohm resistors. Soldered them all together in series, cut the male plug of the wires going up the steering column, and it's plug and play baby. Went ahead and ordered the new lock cyl. and keys from http://www.carlocksandkeys.com to repair it correctly later.Thanks for the sticky on VATS.

Thread Information