Thread: Seat Time

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Those seats don't look very supportive.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Looks like someone is trying to replicate the small van buckets and swiss cheese brackets that were used in the lightweight darts in 68.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Looks like someone is trying to replicate the small van buckets and swiss cheese brackets that were used in the lightweight darts in 68.
    I am impressed. I did not think anyone remembered those old factory race cars. only 150 were ever built, 75 Darts and 75 Cudas. They were not in the dealer books and you had to be a big time racer to get one. mid 10 sec qtrs. right out of the factory. Just think about how scary they were. 3200 lbs, drum brakes all around, 500+HP, Suspension, we don't need no stinking suspension. Manual steering box and those funky van seats on swiss cheesed mounts. I would love to hear from an old racer who drove one of these 44 years ago, how the hell did you stop this thing from 130 mph with manual drum brakes ? Sick.

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    I am impressed. I did not think anyone remembered those old factory race cars. only 150 were ever built, 75 Darts and 75 Cudas. They were not in the dealer books and you had to be a big time racer to get one. mid 10 sec qtrs. right out of the factory. Just think about how scary they were. 3200 lbs, drum brakes all around, 500+HP, Suspension, we don't need no stinking suspension. Manual steering box and those funky van seats on swiss cheesed mounts. I would love to hear from an old racer who drove one of these 44 years ago, how the hell did you stop this thing from 130 mph with manual drum brakes ? Sick.
    A good buddy of mine (Greg) has one. I did some work on it for him years back. Very unique pieces on these cars that Hurst made. Special offset master cylinder brackets and weird stuff like that. I remembered the cars run when I was a kid. They were just race cars then. They had some sort of race for these things around 1970ish? I don't recall the details other than they were supposed to run them at a certain track for some sort of points meet,,,and I'm thinking it was Columbus but it was cancelled, so they all came down to Tri State near Cinci and ran that evening.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

A good buddy of mine (Greg) has one. I did some work on it for him years back. Very unique pieces on these cars that Hurst made. Special offset master cylinder brackets and weird stuff like that. I remembered the cars run when I was a kid. They were just race cars then. They had some sort of race for these things around 1970ish? I don't recall the details other than they were supposed to run them at a certain track for some sort of points meet,,,and I'm thinking it was Columbus but it was cancelled, so they all came down to Tri State near Cinci and ran that evening.
    Ask him what it is like to drive it and how the hell does he stop it. I grew up in the 60's in Old Bridge NJ about 3 or 4 miles from what is now called Englishtown RacewayPark. It opened is 1966 I think, I was in grade school and my dad would take my brother and I there to give mom a break. The only car I can remember was Jungle Jim Liberman's Nova funny car. Man, that car took my breath away. My dad was a Mopar guy so he liked the Hemi's. I think the races you mentioned were called "match races" they would advertise all week on the AM radio about one car vs another, like good vs bad or the USA vs USSR. Good times.

It was tagged for the street last time I knew, but he doesn't really drive it much at all. These L023's are 6 figure car's now when restored especially if it has alot of racing history (I believe they all did) but the story behind this one is somewhat unknown. It was abandoned at Edgewater sometime in the late 70's at the end of the track, no engine or trans. Don't really think anyone at the time knew (or even cared) what it was. The track claimed posession and then sold it. It was never raced again, and I think may have traded hands a couple times before a friend of mine bought it in the late 80's. At that time it still had no engine or trans, but all the special made Hurst parts were still intact, the car was never backhalved, and of course everyone knew what these cars were by then.

Drum brakes aren't all that bad, but I think we've all been spoiled with massive 4 wheel disc and 6 piston calipers

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

It was tagged for the street last time I knew, but he doesn't really drive it much at all. These L023's are 6 figure car's now when restored especially if it has alot of racing history (I believe they all did) but the story behind this one is somewhat unknown. It was abandoned at Edgewater sometime in the late 70's at the end of the track, no engine or trans. Don't really think anyone at the time knew (or even cared) what it was. The track claimed posession and then sold it. It was never raced again, and I think may have traded hands a couple times before a friend of mine bought it in the late 80's. At that time it still had no engine or trans, but all the special made Hurst parts were still intact, the car was never backhalved, and of course everyone knew what these cars were by then.

Drum brakes aren't all that bad, but I think we've all been spoiled with massive 4 wheel disc and 6 piston calipers
    I had manual drum brakes all around on my 1968 Hemi GTX. I can tell you it was a handfull getting it down from 115 mph before the last exit at the track. I sold that car in 1981 before the musclecar craze. I got 4500.00 for an all original 22k mile Hemi GTX auto with a Dana. I thought I did very well on that sale until 8 years later when the same car was worth almost 100k. Oh well, live and learn.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

The Lexan windows are worth the most money. The doors had seatbelt straps to pull the windows up and down. How cool is that. And we complain about our F-Bodies having bad power windows.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Old school is cool. My friend is still on the hunt for A100 van seats for his '70 Dart.

I thought they were reproduced now by a certain company. There was a place selling turn key clones of these 68 darts and shipping them all over the place. Hang on, I suck at google but I'll try to find it.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Thanks, FBJ. I'll check back in the a.m.

Thread Information