Pewter
    2002 Pontiac TransAm

Seat leans back too far... ideas?

Anyone got any thots?
    My drivers-seat is leaning too far back for neck-comfort and it's driving me nuts.

To help with your "up front" questions... read the setup below because it's Not a case of me just not having something "adjusted right"...

MY EQUIP: I've got a 2002 Transam with the motorized (6-way adjustable-seat) with: 1 "pull" seat-angle-adjustment-lever on the side and, 1 "pull" rear-passenger-entry lever on the back.

SETUP: 1) The "tilt" feature for my seat is adjusted to be tilted almost ALL the way forward that it can go. 2) The left-side lever (adjusts the seat-angle) is adjusted for the seat to be in the Up-Most position (I can adjust it back, but cannot go any further forward).

PROBLEM: I'm still leaning back a ways and my neck's starting to give me grief.

NOTE: Previously, I could've Sworn that the seat adjusted 1-more-notch UP than it is now (which was still too far back), but I'm not totally sure about that.

QUESTION: Does anyone know: 1) An adjustment that can be made?, or 2) a mechanical-suggestion that I might try without causing harm to the seat?

Thanks in advance!

Kurt
    captainme12@hotmail.com

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

you can try to space the rear of the mounts. i would also check behind the plastics on the sides to see if something is stuck in the recline mechanism preventing it from going up. did you try to hold the lever and move the seat upright manually then release the lever? maybe something is just sticking.

Pewter
    2002 Pontiac TransAm

Thanks for the reply! I did play with the release to make sure something isn't sticking or just "not aligning right", but don't see any issue. I haven't opened up anything... just inspected best I could from the portion of the mechanism that was visible.

Are you familiar with how to "space the rear of the mounts"? I'll look to open up the sides & see if I can see any adjustment-screws or stop-points (for lack of better term).

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

washers will work to shim the rear. a better option would be something solid though. just unbolt both rear tracks and put washers in between the track and floor. you could also remove the seat and space the track from the seat itself so you wont see the shims. does your seat have a release in the back for access to the rear seats? i know after using this i have to pull the side lever to bring the seat back to where i had it positioned.

Pewter
    2002 Pontiac TransAm

Yep, it has a release on the back, which definitely makes it easier for viewing from the rear.

Question: When you mention the "tracks" of the seat... are you talking about the parts that bolt into the floor of the body? Or are you talking about a "track" that the tilt-mechanism (via the left-lever... not the power-tilt feature) slides through?

Not sure if I fully followed your suggestion (the down side of doing this via words... lol).

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

the tracks that bolt to the floor.

Pewter
    2002 Pontiac TransAm

Gotcha. Only prob with that is... I'm already "tilted" (w/power-tilt adjustment) far enough forward that I might start sliding if I go more by adding spacers to the rear of the floor-tracks.

I think I'll pull off some of the plastics this wknd and see what I can figure out via the ratcheting mechanism. If you know of a way to adjust this (or even implement some kind of spacers here), I'd definitely be interested in finding out.

In any case, thanks for your help!

Thread Information