Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Seafoam Question

This is a discussion on Seafoam Question within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I just put the seafoam into the oil. Going to change it tommorow afternoon....

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

I just put the seafoam into the oil. Going to change it tommorow afternoon.

Let me know how that works. I did the vacuum line application and didn't notice any benifits, so I gave up on the seafoam thing and just finished the spring time maintainance with an oil change, tire rotation, new belt etc.....so my wife can start driving again,,,,

I didn't figure it would do much on this particular car anyway.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i don't know why any one would use that crap...

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    Well I am of the same opinion. I thought I would give it a shot anyway on my wifes Z, since it's just over 100,000 miles. But the oil has been changed religiously every 2,000 miles and with the valve covers off recently it was just spotless inside.

Thats the reason why I didn't think I would see anything but gave it a try anyway. I would assume all the good comments and results after usage probably come from engines that needed attention anyway

I'm not going to try it in any of the other cars since all of mine see the same religious maintainance as my wifes car. I just figured I'd try it on hers since it had the most mileage, and if I killed it,,,it would give me an excuse to do a motor that much sooner

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

It helps clean out sludge/varnish that has built up in the engine over time. Unless your engine has run full synthetic from day 1, its going to have some crap in it. I used it in my 3800 series with 152,000 miles to help clean out some of the crap that had built up in the valve covers. F/I engines create a lot of heat, and the cheap store brand oil that the previous owner must have used caused some sludge buildup in the valvetrain and valve covers.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

I'll say also that unless a quality fuel injector cleaner was run through the car on a regular basis the intake valves will get a nice build up on them. The LS motors are even worse on that due to the oil contamination of the intake charge.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i can't see something that cleans up crap in your motor being good for the seals or any other moving part or sensor...

i can't see something that cleans up crap in your motor being good for the seals or any other moving part or sensor...
    I have to admit I too was a little worried about seals. I was even more concerned with things like 02 Sensors since all that crap is going to pass right through them. Just what I need is to buy another round of $100 sensors,,,,lol.
    But I did it on a car I don't care as much about and have been contemplating an engine change soon anyway.

I know the computer didn't like something about it,,,as it set of the SES light. But before I could scan it the light went out and a code wasn't stored,,,,so I have know idea what the engine was complaining about.

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    I'll say also that unless a quality fuel injector cleaner was run through the car on a regular basis the intake valves will get a nice build up on them. The LS motors are even worse on that due to the oil contamination of the intake charge.
    Thats a valid point. I do run Lucas fuel injector cleaner through all the FI cars about every 4-5 fillups. Used that crap for years, I keep a gallon of it around all the time. Helps to lubricate those fuel pumps and such too.
    That has always been considered routine maintainance for me anyway.

back 'n better than ever Kjz99z28's Avatar

White/Black
    1999 Z28

I got the car when it had about 70k on the clock, and have NO idea how it was taken care of before me. So I'm too scared that if I use it.. it'll open up holes in seals that are working right now thanks to some buildup. When I had a thread on this here, I was also urged not to do it. It runs fine and everything, so I'm kinda wary.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

that shit also probably eats the fuck out of your catalitic converters...

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

lol dont matter if you dont have them

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Actually it just cleans them out. Look I'm not here to BS about shit. I have been using this shit for 15 years on way over a 100 cars and had NO issues that weren't already there.

It all depends on how you use it also. Everyone is referring to seals and leaks I only use it through the intake charge 90% of the time. So what seals is it touching to damage?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

No it doesn't.

It says right on the can - cleans catalytic converters and eliminates catalytic converter odors.

White/Black
    1999 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    ...and had NO issues that weren't already there.
    Yeah that's the part that I don't wanna free up. I'm afraid if I use it, it'll clear out some gunk keeping it from leaking. So instead of gradual leaks, I'm afraid my car will turn into swiss cheese.

I'm not sayin I know more about it than anybody else.. cause I most definitely don't. Actually.. I know pretty much next to nothing about it, I'm just too scared to try it from hearing stuff like that.

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Quote Originally Posted by Kjz99z28 View Post
    Yeah that's the part that I don't wanna free up. I'm afraid if I use it, it'll clear out some gunk keeping it from leaking. So instead of gradual leaks, I'm afraid my car will turn into swiss cheese.

I'm not sayin I know more about it than anybody else.. cause I most definitely don't. Actually.. I know pretty much next to nothing about it, I'm just too scared to try it from hearing stuff like that.
    Dont be afraid. My car just turned over 133,000. Ill tell you guys if I have any issues buy I think im going to be fine.

White/Black
    1999 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999 View Post
    Dont be afraid. My car just turned over 133,000. Ill tell you guys if I have any issues buy I think im going to be fine.
    Yeah let me know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kjz99z28 View Post

Thats exactly why I gave it a shot to see for myself. Sometimes people experiences differ greatly. And if it did something to my wifes car,,,,no harm no foul,,,, But as I reported,,,it did nothing good or bad to it so far that I can tell. Mileage is the same, still idles the same, no power increases etc.....
    I have seen all kinds of people talk how this stuff is magic in a can and fixes all kinds of bizzar things,,,,didn't happen for me. But nothing was really wrong in the first place. I think these were instances where cars were in need of some kind of attention to begin with.

I was expecting to see some carbon, high amounts of black smoke that would rally firefighters 3 districts away I didn't see any of that either.
    If your car is running fine, mileage is good, idles smooth, no SES lights, all is fine then. No need for the Seafoam in my opinion.

I was hoping it would wash the rings out and cause excessive blowby,,,,,then say,,,sorry dear,,,it's time for a motor

In all seriousness though,,,if you're that worried about the condition of the internals I would suggest a leak down test. It will tell you more about the insides than anything else and pinpoint any problems you may have.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Dont know if it was the seafoam or PP but I have increased idle and smoother accleration BUT valve noise has dramatically increased. Did this thursday.

Blue
    2001 Trans AM

are seafoam and AutoRX similar products? I have heard good things about both.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information