Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Seafoam Question

This is a discussion on Seafoam Question within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I just have got in from Seafoaming mine.. RPMs,idle, and exhaust note has increased.. and it feels like the brakes ...

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

I just have got in from Seafoaming mine..
    RPMs,idle, and exhaust note has increased..
    and it feels like the brakes have become more efficient..i.e. more stopping from less pedal pressure.

Need to seafoam the oil next..

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    That's one of the many reasons I don't live back there anymore!!
    I hear ya man. Soon we will be there too

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    I just have got in from Seafoaming mine..
    RPMs,idle, and exhaust note has increased..
    and it feels like the brakes have become more efficient..i.e. more stopping from less pedal pressure.

Need to seafoam the oil next..
    I was thinking of trying it through a vacuum line on my wifes 97 Z28 since it has right at 100,000 miles now. But the darn thing runs so good and regular maintaince has been performed all it's life,,,,I'm afraid to touch it with the stuff.

I had valve cover off a few thousand miles ago and it was spotless inside. I do use Lucas treatment in the gas on every 3-4 fillups in every car we have which is supposed to clean injectors, valves, carbs, lubricate the fuel pumps and such. Kind of a maintainance thing I have done for years. Maybe the seafoam is just not needed for me,,,,don't know.

I can tell you I stick Lucas treatment in the gas tanks in the cars that get parked over winter,,,start them up once and a while while sitting just to lubricate things.
    Keeping that in mind,,,,when I drove the 02 SS the first time this year after sitting for 3 months,,,,I mashed the throttle for passing gear and it blew so much black soot out the back,,,when I got back home it was all over the back bumper,,,yuck. I think that lucas treatment sitting in all the cars fuel tanks over winter does the trick. The second time out mashing the throttle is was clean as a whistle.
    I'm kinda on the fence I guess.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I was thinking of trying it through a vacuum line on my wifes 97 Z28 since it has right at 100,000 miles now. But the darn thing runs so good and regular maintaince has been performed all it's life,,,,I'm afraid to touch it with the stuff.

I had valve cover off a few thousand miles ago and it was spotless inside. I do use Lucas treatment in the gas on every 3-4 fillups in every car we have which is supposed to clean injectors, valves, carbs, lubricate the fuel pumps and such. Kind of a maintainance thing I have done for years. Maybe the seafoam is just not needed for me,,,,don't know.

I can tell you I stick Lucas treatment in the gas tanks in the cars that get parked over winter,,,start them up once and a while while sitting just to lubricate things.
    Keeping that in mind,,,,when I drove the 02 SS the first time this year after sitting for 3 months,,,,I mashed the throttle for passing gear and it blew so much black soot out the back,,,when I got back home it was all over the back bumper,,,yuck. I think that lucas treatment sitting in all the cars fuel tanks over winter does the trick. The second time out mashing the throttle is was clean as a whistle.
    I'm kinda on the fence I guess.

Just do it Larry!!! I would suck a half bottle through the Z and the other half through the SS. When you see all the smoke afterwards you'll be amazed at all that carbon and oil that is now by by!
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

What is this "seafoam" you guys are speaking of?

Red
    2000 Camaro SS # 5,876

i did seafoam on my ss... nothing came out...

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by Squirly013 View Post
    What is this "seafoam" you guys are speaking of?
    \

http://www.seafoamsales.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 2000SuperSportMaro View Post
    Through the brake booster vacuum line?
    Sometimes it won't smoke until the following day.

Thats the line I was thinking of using on my wifes LT1. Got another idea?

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Thats the line I was thinking of using on my wifes LT1. Got another idea?
    Thats the one you want! Just do it in surges...... Only suck a 1/4 of the bottle at a time. I usually have it at 2500 while doing it.
    Not sure about your neibors but I have had a few call the fire department thinking something was on fire.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 2000SuperSportMaro View Post
    Mine did the same thing. I can only assume the cats were cleaning up the emissions well enough that the color wasn't noticeable. Of course, I no longer have cats

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Thats the one you want! Just do it in surges...... Only suck a 1/4 of the bottle at a time. I usually have it at 2500 while doing it.
    Not sure about your neibors but I have had a few call the fire department thinking something was on fire.
    I don't have neighbors close enough to matter, but I guess we'll see how much it smokes.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Shit over the years I have had a customer take a car home and it won't smoke for a day or two until it sits.
    They call "I think I blew my shit up or some rings broke cause it is smoking worse than a diesel!" I usually scare them more @ first and say I guess I put too much timing in it and it lifted a ring land. It is followed by an awkward silence before I bust out laughing and tell them to let it run until it quits then go hammer on it cause there is more smoke waiting. And basically tell them I ran a fuel additive through the motor to help clean it out.

I learned about good old SeaFoam when I was 15 from a friend that was working @ Napa.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

My exhaust smell like cancer right now..

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Question

I have a 99 TA and it has 37,344 miles on it, is it too soon to be thinking about using seafoam? If not, do I have to worry about changing spark plugs after use.At this point where are the places that I need to use it?and how do I get it into the needed places?

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

i tell ya what guys, when i bought my volvo 240 beater, it had 198 k on it and i already knew about seafoam, well i did it through an intake vacume line and it was like a James Bond Smoke Screen , soo much junk blew outta that motor it was crazy, it really does work tho,

i heard somewhere that you should stall the engine out with it, let it sit for 5 min then start it up again so that the seafoam can actually dissolve shit on the pistons, thats what i did for my volvo....

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    i tell ya what guys, when i bought my volvo 240 beater, it had 198 k on it and i already knew about seafoam, well i did it through an intake vacume line and it was like a James Bond Smoke Screen , soo much junk blew outta that motor it was crazy, it really does work tho,

i heard somewhere that you should stall the engine out with it, let it sit for 5 min then start it up again so that the seafoam can actually dissolve shit on the pistons, thats what i did for my volvo....
    On something like that with damn near 200,000 on it I will let it sit over night with only half a can sucked through. Then after it clears up next day after running I put the other half through it @ 2500.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

I couldnt get mine to stall out...

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    I couldnt get mine to stall out...
    Shit were you using the vacuum line off the brake booster?
    It sould have stalled quick if you shoved it far enough in the SeaFoam can.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

It was completely submerged in the brake booster vacuum line...I even poured it in with a funnel... maybe the 98s are different..

Well I seafoamed the wifes car. Killed it twice using the brake booster line. I ended up running the whole can through. It didn't really smoke that much at all. Mainly some mild smoke while running the can through and that was it. I let it sit for a few minutes, took it for a drive around the block,,,,didn't smoke at all.

Didn't change how the car runs, still runs just as good as before. Idles the same, gas mileage the same,,etc...

All I succeded in doing is setting off the check engine light. After driving it around, before I could get the scanner hooked up the light went out. I checked for codes and it didn't store anything,,,

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information