Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Post Seafoam, GM Bulletin, Last Year, Catalytic

I purchase my Silver TA at 110,000. Had Leak Engine Seal, window motor, turn signal sockets, rear bushings replaced. Rack and Pinion is leaking but I can live with it for now.

Here is the deal my men, lately more than ever, when I start the vehicle, the idle went super rough and engine shook. In drive, acceleration did not propel the vehicle for their were stutters in the ignition....... all of this happen and will then straighten out with proper performance. Typically this would happen when the engine was in warm and restart..... now, it seems upon startup.

I have an O2 Sensor Service Engine Code along with an IAT Sensor reading.

Some of you probably experienced the above. It's one of the worse symptoms your vehicles can have. As it turn out, you Catalytic Converter can be the blame.

GM sent out a bulletin warranting Converters of 2000 -2002 Fbodies years ago. Used vehicle owners may not know of this. The bulletin number is 05513 for the GM replacement. You are warranted for 8 years or 120,000 miles. This is the last year !!!!!!!

I called GM and they will replace the cats for me at no charge. I'm over the 120,000 miles warranty at 120,800 but explained I bought the vehicle used 110,000 last year.

I think that is the problem of some backflow restrictions causing all sort of bad performance.

The GM number is 1-866-790-5600. Give them that Bulletin number!!!!

My Catalytic Convertor could have also became bad when I Seafoam the Engine and the Tank. I experience knocks on warm engine acceleration at low RPM so decided, what the hell, I'll Seafoam the ride for I have nothing to lose..... guess what? Seafoaming my vehicle killed the knocks and the pings. By the same token, I think Seafoaming may have killed the Catalytic Converters.

Some of you gutted the convertors...........but some of us in emission controlled states can't. Does anyone know how to kill these convertors so that Fbodie owners can get them replace by GM at no charge? Also, how do we check to see if our convertors are working or not?

Matttttttttttttttt

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Seafoam used properly will not harm cats.

The GM letter I received extended the cat warranty to 10 years/120K.

The post cat 02 sensors monitor the cats, are you throwing P0420 or P0430? A bad PRE cat 02 sensor and IAT code need to be taken care of so it'll run properly.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Wink 3 Codes

I throwing these 3 codes:

P0119 Generic
    IAT Sensor 1 Circuit
    High Input

P430 Generic
    Catalyst Efficiency
    Below Threshold
    (Bank 2)

P430 Generic PD
    Catalyst Efficiency
    Below Threshold
    (Bank 2

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 View Post
    The GM letter I received extended the cat warranty to 10 years/120K.

The post cat 02 sensors monitor the cats, are you throwing P0420 or P0430? A bad PRE cat 02 sensor and IAT code need to be taken care of so it'll run properly.

P0430 means the passenger side cat is probably toast. Are you sure on the first code - obdii.com says P0119 is ECT coolant temperature circuit intermitent. IAT sensor circuit high voltage is P0113.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Thumbs up Ignoring Is Not Always Best

I see what you are referring to after reading your repliy twice.... it is an IAT. I have code reader that is OBDII compliant.

From the intermittent buzz at idling from below the vehicle...I am sure that you are correct that the Catalytic is toasted, or is partly toasted. My SES went on months ago but I just neglected after reading the code. I was getting tired of dealing all the repairs.

At any rate, through time, I think the exaust feed back from being unable to pump through the cat is the problem.

I think that most driver will ignore the problem until it become as big as mine. You don't want that sudden acceleration kill back flow when you are on the highway out here with all the traffic. It hasn't happen yet to me, but don't look forward to it.

matt

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 View Post
    P0430 means the passenger side cat is probably toast. Are you sure on the first code - obdii.com says P0119 is ECT coolant temperature circuit intermitent. IAT sensor circuit high voltage is P0113.

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by matthewaqui View Post
    I throwing these 3 codes:

P0119 Generic
    IAT Sensor 1 Circuit
    High Input

P430 Generic
    Catalyst Efficiency
    Below Threshold
    (Bank 2)

P430 Generic PD
    Catalyst Efficiency
    Below Threshold
    (Bank 2
    Just throwing this out there. My car had the p430 code. The problem with mine was fixed with a new PCV Valve. The one in there was clogged. Also the small hose from the PCV to the Throttle body is very thin that it began to crack and letting unmetered air into the system. I would recommend checking your PCV valve and that small hose for tears. Hope it as easy as mine to fix, good luck.

Pueter/Silver

just bought my 2nd shit boot retanier was wondering if anyone can help me i broke the first one tryin to put it can anyone tell me the proper way to put it in so i dont have to buy number 3
    thanks john

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Thumbs up PCV Valve Location

Thank you for the advice. I will look into that too. Did you get the same acceleration symptoms as I did?

I point to the Catalytic because the exaust smells very strong.

I'm not sure where the PCV Valve is at or how to test it but will find out.

Thanks buddy!
    Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by SandmanWs7 View Post
    Just throwing this out there. My car had the p430 code. The problem with mine was fixed with a new PCV Valve. The one in there was clogged. Also the small hose from the PCV to the Throttle body is very thin that it began to crack and letting unmetered air into the system. I would recommend checking your PCV valve and that small hose for tears. Hope it as easy as mine to fix, good luck.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Explain

I would like to help you John but not sure what you are referring to. Can you explain?

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by 99ls1taJohn View Post
    just bought my 2nd shit boot retanier was wondering if anyone can help me i broke the first one tryin to put it can anyone tell me the proper way to put it in so i dont have to buy number 3
    thanks john

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

I have SeaFoamed over a 100 cars and had NO issues with killing the cats.

SEAFOAM
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Wink Jegs

Hi there... do you have an image of the JEGS Air Oil Separator installation on your LS1 that you can share with us?

Thank you much,
    Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    I have SeaFoamed over a 100 cars and had NO issues with killing the cats.

SEAFOAM

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

No...... Due to the fact that 85% of my customers are on the bottle they are pretty secretive about there set-ups. It is a easy install and can be mounted in MANY places.

P0119 is in fact Engine Coolant Temperature sensor intermittent output. I don't care what the text says on your OBDII scanner, most of those cheap scanners are incorrect in the DTC description field. The DTC number is what's important. Oh, and a failing ECT sensor would cause all sorts of running problems, especially upon startup. When most ECTs fail they read near -40F, and the PCM goes full rich. You are literally dumping fuel into the engine, most of which is NOT being burned in the combustion chamber. THAT is what killed your converter.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28 View Post
    P0119 is in fact Engine Coolant Temperature sensor intermittent output. I don't care what the text says on your OBDII scanner, most of those cheap scanners are incorrect in the DTC description field. The DTC number is what's important. Oh, and a failing ECT sensor would cause all sorts of running problems, especially upon startup. When most ECTs fail they read near -40F, and the PCM goes full rich. You are literally dumping fuel into the engine, most of which is NOT being burned in the combustion chamber. THAT is what killed your converter.
    Good deduction. Depending on how long the ECT sensor was bad, its definitely a possibility that it could have lead to the catalytic converter's premature death.

As for seafoam killing the cats, highly unlikely. Seafoam actually cleans the catalytic converters out, which helps in getting rid of some of the bad exhaust odors that some cars have. Read the side of the can, tell you all about it.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Wink Shoot and Miss

Thanks for the advice Marc,

Where would this ECT be located in the engine and how much does it cost? Have you had poor combustion due to the ECT before?

So far, people have advise me on the IAT, Convertors, PCV Valve, or leaking tubes. Diagnose of this problem seems like a shoot and miss replacement wouldn't you say?

Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28 View Post

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Wink Thanks

Thanks for the reply man....

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    No...... Due to the fact that 85% of my customers are on the bottle they are pretty secretive about there set-ups. It is a easy install and can be mounted in MANY places.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

No problem!

ECT sensor is on the drivers side head, right by cyl #1. It's not expensive and easy to replace.

I've had an ECT fail on my before in my 85 Z28, but due to it being OBDI it did not set a trouble code, and it took quite a bid of diag to find the problem. Never had and ECT problem in my 00 TA, but many others have. I'm a dealer tech so I do see these fail often in many different models.

Does your scanner also datastream? That would be your next step in the diagnostic process. Monitor the ECT during the symptoms that you describe. If it reads abnormal, either the ECT or the wiring/connection could be the cuprit. Your car isn't a 98 is it?

Even though this may be the cause of the converter failures, fixing it will not also fix the converters. They are cooked. Get your car running properly before taking it to the dealer for converter replacement!

Thread Information