Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Seafoam, GM Bulletin, Last Year, Catalytic

This is a discussion on Seafoam, GM Bulletin, Last Year, Catalytic within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 ECT sensor is on the drivers side head, right by cyl #1. It's not expensive and ...

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Wink Exact Location

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 View Post
    ECT sensor is on the drivers side head, right by cyl #1. It's not expensive and easy to replace.
    Well, thanks for pointing that out.... but as I remember and from what you stated..... I remember seeing it when I replacing the spark plugs....

Right at Cyl#1... there is a little thing that is screwed into the engine with two prongs sticking out? 2 wire is connected to that... I remember trying to unattached the wire from it and breaking the plastic around for it was brittled. I also tried unscrewing the sensor when coolant then began leaking out........ that is the ECT sensor correct?

Matt

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Thumbs up Over the Hill Trans Am

My Trans Am is a 2000. Datastream? Not sure what you mean... but I ran the vehicle with the scanner connected to check for all readings including temps.

The vehicle is my Daily Driver and I will be dropping it off at Pontiac after work on Friday. If I could get the vehicle working properly before dropping it off, I would. I was about to give up on it and trade it in for a Mercedes or a G8 this weekend. GM willing to replace the CATS gave me some hope that might be the culprit until you guys mention the PCV Valve, ECT.

This TA has been murdering on Maintenance time and money since purchase last June.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28 View Post
    I've had an ECT fail on my before in my 85 Z28, but due to it being OBDI it did not set a trouble code, and it took quite a bid of diag to find the problem. Never had and ECT problem in my 00 TA, but many others have. I'm a dealer tech so I do see these fail often in many different models.

Does your scanner also datastream? That would be your next step in the diagnostic process. Monitor the ECT during the symptoms that you describe. If it reads abnormal, either the ECT or the wiring/connection could be the cuprit. Your car isn't a 98 is it?

Even though this may be the cause of the converter failures, fixing it will not also fix the converters. They are cooked. Get your car running properly before taking it to the dealer for converter replacement!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewaqui View Post
    Right at Cyl#1... there is a little thing that is screwed into the engine with two prongs sticking out? 2 wire is connected to that... I remember trying to unattached the wire from it and breaking the plastic around for it was brittled. I also tried unscrewing the sensor when coolant then began leaking out........ that is the ECT sensor correct?

Matt
    That's it!

By datastream I meant that the scanner was able to monitor the engine sensors/PIDs in realtime. Sounds like you can do that with yours.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Thumbs up

Hey Man,

Thanks for the advice in this thread. I will definitely replaced that ECT and PCV valve just to see if the problems go away.

Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28 View Post
    That's it!

By datastream I meant that the scanner was able to monitor the engine sensors/PIDs in realtime. Sounds like you can do that with yours.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LinkBacks (?)

Thread Information