Thread: Sea Foam

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

Sea Foam

What do you all think about sea foam? Does it work? Is it safe? Is there anything better out there?

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I've used it. Worked fine. The latest stuff I've used is CRC TB cleaner...

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I have heard good things about Sea foam but it does make a shit-load of smoke.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Theres a write up somewhere on how to sea foam your car completely. I did it and I thought it was great. Go for it.
    2014 Camaro: Check. 2SS: Check. 1LE: Check. 6 Speed manual? CHECK

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I use it on all my vehicles every 75K or so. Or when I buy and used car. It had cleared some rough idles I had and improved acceleration. It is great stuff.

Silver
    00 Formula Firehawk

I used it on my cammed Z28. It was idling abnormally rough and it was getting crappy gas mileage, it made a huge difference! I put it in the Oil, Gas, and Intake.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Seafoam is a solvent. Better option is to use 1 oz. of TC-W3 two-stroke oil per 5 gallons of gasoline. I run this in all of our cars on a semi-regular basis. If you just want a fuel system cleaner, then Chevron Techron is your best bet - one bottle per 12 gallons of fuel.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

The following is a loosely conducted experiment which MAY derive credibility based on the fact that it was performed in uncontrolled (i.e. realistic) circumstances.

I tried a full tank of several different brands of gasoline from day 1 after purchasing my Z28. I gagued the fuel economy on the number of miles on the trip odo at 3/4 tank and the number of miles at the time of refueling (I did not record the data, so I only remember the 3/4 tank data). The gas was 93 octane pump gas in Washington state.

Shell: 90 miles on 1/4 tank.
    Chevron: 110 miles on 1/4 tank.
    Unical 76: 82 miles on 1/4 tank.
    AAFES: 54 miles on 1/4 tank

I did a few other brands, but I don't remember the numbers. None of the numbers, however, were as good a Chevron gas, or even as good a Shell gas, for that matter. So, while I paid more at the pump, I actually drove farther on the same amount of gas when running Chevron, and reduced my fuel cost overall. Since coming to AZ, I have not bothered to repeat the experiment with the different brands they have down here. I use only Chevron unless it's an emergency and there is no Chevron around.

I have also been using TC-W3 for a couple of years now. I THINK I notice a decrease in economy if I go a couple of tanks without it, but I have not bothered to really track that conscientiously.

Also, how old is your fuel filter?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ There should be a slight increase in mileage with TC-W3.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Seafoam is a solvent. Better option is to use 1 oz. of TC-W3 two-stroke oil per 5 gallons of gasoline. I run this in all of our cars on a semi-regular basis. If you just want a fuel system cleaner, then Chevron Techron is your best bet - one bottle per 12 gallons of fuel.
    Interested in this, any more info/write up's? What are the benefit's? Does it cause smoking?
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    The following is a loosely conducted experiment which MAY derive credibility based on the fact that it was performed in uncontrolled (i.e. realistic) circumstances.

I tried a full tank of several different brands of gasoline from day 1 after purchasing my Z28. I gagued the fuel economy on the number of miles on the trip odo at 3/4 tank and the number of miles at the time of refueling (I did not record the data, so I only remember the 3/4 tank data). The gas was 93 octane pump gas in Washington state.

Shell: 90 miles on 1/4 tank.
    Chevron: 110 miles on 1/4 tank.
    Unical 76: 82 miles on 1/4 tank.
    AAFES: 54 miles on 1/4 tank

I did a few other brands, but I don't remember the numbers. None of the numbers, however, were as good a Chevron gas, or even as good a Shell gas, for that matter. So, while I paid more at the pump, I actually drove farther on the same amount of gas when running Chevron, and reduced my fuel cost overall. Since coming to AZ, I have not bothered to repeat the experiment with the different brands they have down here. I use only Chevron unless it's an emergency and there is no Chevron around.

I have also been using TC-W3 for a couple of years now. I THINK I notice a decrease in economy if I go a couple of tanks without it, but I have not bothered to really track that conscientiously.

Also, how old is your fuel filter?
    Were your driving conditions exactly the same per fill-up? I only ask because a little bit of a heavier foot can tend to lead to drastic mileage differences. My car, for instance, can get around 30MPG on the highway driving it normal. If I floor it, I can literally see the needle of the gas gauge move. I am not joking either lol.
    Last edited by 35th-ANV-SS; 02-27-2014 at 11:36 AM.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

No smoke at all.

Here's the original thread: http://www.ls1.com/forums/f48/been-testing-oil-91206/

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Were your driving conditions exactly the same per fill-up? I only ask because a little bit of a heavier foot can tend to lead to drastic mileage differences. My car, for instance, can get around 30MPG on the highway driving it normal. If I floor it, I can literally see the needle of the gas gauge move. I am not joking either lol.
    The experiment was as "controlled" as I cared to make it and each brand got one full tank of trial period. Essentially, after a few weeks of testing (about 1 tank per week was the average), It seemed as though Chevron was the best bang for the buck. Note that the my driving was almost NO WOT or "heavy footed" driving because this was early in my ownership and I was still afraid of the car at that point.

I decided that the best way to test it was to just drive "normal" with each tank. For example, if I did the test today, every single time I get on an on-ramp, I go WOT, starting in 1st, space permitting (which is over 95% of the time). I also make no effort to conserve fuel when taking off from a light (but I don't go WOT either). On the freeway, I set the cruise control... until a truck gets in my way and I "need" to select 3rd in order to pass in a timely manner. I just drive how I drive in order to see what a brand will do with my driving style.

Also, a friend of mine did his own experiment where he filled up containers with different brands of gasoline. The only brand to come out of the pump "clear and clean" (no debris floating around, etc) was Chevron. He told me about his experiment once I said to him "I only put Chevron in my car." Ever since his own experiment, he, too, only runs Chevron (he drives a Nissan 4-banger, FWIW).
    Last edited by Naaman; 02-27-2014 at 07:46 PM.
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Thread Information