Thread: Screwed

Silver
    98 Trans Am

Thumbs down Screwed

Well tonight on the way home I hit a big ass rock in the road. All I can see now is the oil pan is busted. Not sure if it got anything in the oil pump yet. Any suggestions on what to do know. Don't know if I should turn it in on my insurance or what. Any help would be appreciated.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I assume it is leaking?
    I need more info. Where is the leak coming from? Oil pressure? Did it drain the oil out right away?

Deductible on insurance? Call and talk to them. Asking questions won't hurt anything.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

if you say the rock was moving it falls under comprehensive. Might be hard to convince them a rock ran out in front of you though. How big a hole are we talking?

Silver
    98 Trans Am

Thumbs down

Well I've got a big chunk of my oil pan missing. Called the insurance company to make a claim. Should know something this week.

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

Goog luck, I hope it works out for you.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Should be covered. Insurance paid for my new engine when I hydrolocked it hitting a big puddle like a dumb a...

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Quote Originally Posted by slims00ls1z28 View Post
    Should be covered. Insurance paid for my new engine when I hydrolocked it hitting a big puddle like a dumb a...
    did the water come running at you? haha

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I had a wierd deal happen to me one time where the insurance tried to say it was my fault because of the way I described the accident. A Ford Windstar van entering the hiway 3 lanes over blew a tire. This tire blew out like nothing I've ever seen before. It was a black cloud of dust that blew across all the lanes of traffic and hidden inside that cloud was the chrome trim ring for the wheel. Windstars have fairly heavy trim rings so when it hit the front of my car it made a sizeable messed up spot in my front bumper. (This was on my 98 Camaro, not my current ride) So when the girl on the phone asks me did I hit the trim ring or did it hit me I didn't realize the importance of the difference. I just said that I hit it -when it was actually in motion and hit me. I was a little surprised when they had raised my rates on the next bill so I called for a reason. Had to argue a little to get the correct description of the accident put in there and get my rates lowered again. Always say the stuff was in motion and hit you-lesson learned.
    Also learned that just calling and making an inquiry about a claim counts as an incident, even if no money actually trades hands. If you make another 'claim' within a certain period of time they will raise your rates. Insurance is a strange business.

Quote Originally Posted by slims00ls1z28 View Post
    Me too. Of course, i ripped taht fucking FTRA right out of my car before they took a peek at it. But I got an engine too..

I want to know if theyd cover this, but Ive got a newbie question on oil pans.

Why the fuck are they so expensive or..more to the point, important? Its just a catch can isnt it?

I am no mechanic by any means, hence the question, but I cant see this being a big problem at all. Once its parked and the engine is no longer on (meaning, no damage to the bottom end or driving with no/low oil), I figured you jack it up, take the old pan off, put the new one on and youre done....

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

A stamped steel pan is not that expensive for a stock application 4 cylinder- not that hard to install either. Gets a little more expensive for an F-body. The oil pan for that is a cast aluminum piece that is actually a stressed member of the engine block . Makes it more expensive obviously. Getting it out is alot tougher because of the oil pickup tube being right at the bottom of the lowest point in the pan. You have to jack the motor up high enough to angle the pan down and clear the transmission bellhousing. Most cars don't have enough clearance to do this easily.
    On the F-bodied cars you will have to support the engine and drop the crossmember. There's not much room to jack the motor up. Not a huge deal, just need the right equipment. Most shops have what it takes, most hobbyists don't.

Thread Information