Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Scratched Tint and cracked door panels

This is a discussion on Scratched Tint and cracked door panels within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; +1 Had scratched tint on driver door due to broken off clip inside the door. Cheap and easy fix. Wonder ...

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

+1 Had scratched tint on driver door due to broken off clip inside the door. Cheap and easy fix. Wonder what breaks them??? That one was broken when i got the car at 43000 miles...now has 71000 with no problem from the other 3 clips. Both my door panels are also cracked...and i never use the window to close the door! (and have freaked out on a passenger or two... )

Black
    98 T/A

The metal material those stabilizers are made of and the thickness of the casts posts that hold the soft guide/stabilizer is not the most ingenious design. I think both are roughly 3 mm by two mm each for a total of two on each.

You look at the weight of door, how the previous owner (if any) closed the door, and glass size and you will see that over time, failure of these is probable.

Even the window half down going 80 mph is enough to vibrate the window and over time cause failure of the stabilizers. As well, if the window rollers are bound up or not lubed well, the window may close higher on one side than the other, stressing the stabilizers.

Hell, general wear and tear for that fact and age/milage will cause failure. Nothing lasts forever...even with the best preventative care.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by Banshee1967 View Post
    The metal material those stabilizers are made of and the thickness of the casts posts that hold the soft guide/stabilizer is not the most ingenious design. I think both are roughly 3 mm by two mm each for a total of two on each.

You look at the weight of door, how the previous owner (if any) closed the door, and glass size and you will see that over time, failure of these is probable.

Even the window half down going 80 mph is enough to vibrate the window and over time cause failure of the stabilizers. As well, if the window rollers are bound up or not lubed well, the window may close higher on one side than the other, stressing the stabilizers.

Hell, general wear and tear for that fact and age/milage will cause failure. Nothing lasts forever...even with the best preventative care.
    I see your point, but GM did not use quality material for the interior and this is why this problem happens for many F body owners.
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD, !AIR, !EGR, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information