Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Scratched Tint and cracked door panels

When i bought my car, i noticed the door panel on the drivers side was cracked. No big deal, i knew the interior in these cars is cheap. Then i got my windows tinted and gradually over the past year, something on the inside of the door has scratched the shit out of the tint on both windows. And now the door panel on the passenger side is starting to crack. The car's off the road now, so i figure i'd take the doors apart and see what the fuck is goin on. I know a lot of f bodies get cracked door panels, but have any of you guys taken it apart and fixed it?
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, Strano Springs, Koni Sport Shocks, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD wires,, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT - 303 RWHP and 308 RWTQ

Green

My door panels arent cracked, but I do have the tint scratched on my drivers side.
    http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...98Camarod3.jpg
    241's l Comp XER 230/230 Cam l SS4000 l Juice

nothing in the door panel to fix.the plastic is cracks and there is nothing you can do about it.I'll bet your car either sits outside in the cold or is in a cold garage.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

It does sit in a cold garage. But don't you think its weird that my tints are scratched in a straight line all the way up the window from where the crack is?

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    It does sit in a cold garage. But don't you think its weird that my tints are scratched in a straight line all the way up the window from where the crack is?
    nope,the crack is probably causing the edge of the door panel to twist.That might explain the tint problem.I've had my door panels off a few times to replace window motors.There aint nuttin in there to "FIX" for the crack,the door panels are so poorly made without any ribbing or supports in the plastic that in the cold when the door panel shrinks it cracks because nothing is there to support it.I personally think they add to the cheapness and trailer trashiness of any TA.Like hey look at me,they dressed me up like this for the 4th generation but deep inside i';m still just a BASTARD!

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

It's too bad... any of the f body's rival in this year don't have quality problems like this, such as the mustang, supra, 3000gt vr-4, etc.

black
    2002 WS6

who really cares about the what the in side looks like when all they see is taillights. Its not whats out side that counts but whats under the hood.

Black
    98 T/A

There are two stabilizer backings which press against the glass and are coated with a felt-like material and are 2" long. If these pads break off, a (or two) metal edges are exposed to the glass and window tint causing the straight line film damage.

If you measure from the flat edge of the door glass, the damage will be at 9-10" (due to curvature of glass) and the other is at 26".

Replace the stabilizers and will cure the problem.

This has nothing to do with the door panels.

Black
    98 T/A

The damage is due to the weight of door, size of glass, material of door and how you close the door. If you slam the door shut with the windows all the way up, you are looking for problems with the regulators and stabilizers. As well, if you use the glass to close the door (instead of the door) You will cause stress on the glass, regulator and stabilizers.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

My door panels on both my cars are fine. Ones a 96 and the other a 98 No cracks at all. The 98 does have the scratches you are talking about but they are on the outside of the drivers side window so it does not affect my tint. I believe it is the gides there are talking about above.

The main reason the door panels crack is people shutting / slamming the doors with the window. ONLY open and close your door with the door, don't use the window as a handle and remind your passengers not too and your door panels will not crack. If you look at the door and move it with the window you will see how it flex's into the door panel and that is what cracks it. Use the door handles or the side of the door and there will be no problems.

both my door panels cracked after sitting outside in 10 degree weather.

White
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Banshee1967 View Post
    There are two stabilizer backings which press against the glass and are coated with a felt-like material and are 2" long. If these pads break off, a (or two) metal edges are exposed to the glass and window tint causing the straight line film damage.

If you measure from the flat edge of the door glass, the damage will be at 9-10" (due to curvature of glass) and the other is at 26".

Had the same problem with mine. I can't remember how much replacements were, but they weren't that expensive from the dealer.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Banshee1967 View Post

+1 this is most likely your problem, it is what caused mine. The stabilizer with the cushion on it broke leaving a jagged piece of metal to scrape up my tint.

Black
    98 T/A

I paid $17 and change each for the stabilizers..

Next is replace the tint and the regulator in the drivers door that "I" screwed up by not paying enough freaking attention to my baby in the first palce.

NB. you give me the willies...

White
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Willies... the good kind or the bad kind..

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Hey, great thread. The windows on my Z are all scratched to hell for some reason too. I'll have to check it out.

Black
    98 T/A

My mother said if you have nothing nice to say...don't say it...so it must be good.

the belt moulding on the door collects dirt,then as the windows goes up and down its scratches the glass and tint.We had bad storms here fri night,tonado went by near here with damagimg winds.Something hit the windshield on the TA and back glass scratching both.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by YoMommasTA View Post
    the belt moulding on the door collects dirt,then as the windows goes up and down its scratches the glass and tint.We had bad storms here fri night,tonado went by near here with damagimg winds.Something hit the windshield on the TA and back glass scratching both.
    This could not be done from dirt. It's gotta be a piece of metal inside the door to make centimeter wide scratches. It's scratching it from the inside of the window where the tint is.

bare cushion

Thread Information