White
    98 Trans AM

Saftey Brake adjustment?

Hopefully this will be a easy question. I think normally the saftey brakes are supposed to sort of keep themselves adjusted when they are used.? Since I put the Moser into my car the saftey brakes are barely working or I should say are not working. I guess the distance in the line mounts is shorter causing slack in the pull lines. Anyway, does anyone know of a quick good way to get those adjusted back to where they actually work? Thanks!

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Not sure what type of e-brake the Moser unit uses-is it like the stock one? Anyway -no there is no self adjustment to the e-brakes that I've seen.It's all about keeping the cables adjusted.E-brakes don't really stop all that well anyway,but it should be able to hold the vehicle from rolling on a hill,with the engine off (if an auto tranny)or in neutral,and not much else.

White
    98 Trans AM

Yea, the Moser uses the backing plate from the stock rear end. The point though where the cable connects to the housing out near the brake though I am unsure. That is where I think it is a shorter length and thus gives the cable some looseness. I need to get my car inspected and in gear the e-brake does not hold the car at all. Maybe I'll just try new E pads and see if they are thicker. Thanks for the reply!

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I know that here in Missouri we don't check the E-brake at inspection time.I still gotta believe that tightening the adjustment would take care of this-there should be a turnbuckle under the floor pan that will take care of this.How many clicks up on the e-brake handle do you have to go? Should only be 3-4 with a reasonable effort.Get the car up in the air and pull on the cable by hasnd-it should be free and applying the brake on both sides.Look for frozen up cables or too much slack.

White
    98 Trans AM

I think I will check with Moser and see if they have any solution to this. The handle goes basically all the way up so it is vertical. It starts to get tension but just really never grabs enough to hold the car. Thanks though for your input! Always thanks to those who help and offer knowledge! Thank you!

White
    98 Trans AM

Let me ask you this if I may. If tyhey say it is the cables, do you by chance know what is involved in changing them out?

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

it's the adjustment from the sounds of it-and I would let somebody else handle replacing the cables if that's what's necessary.No disrespect intended here but it doesn't sound like you have much experience working on cars-and brakes are not something to half ass.The first clue is that the e-brake handle travels so far-unless one of them has come disconnected or something.Take it to somebody and tell them that you need the e-brake checked out because it doesn't seem to be doing anything.Shouldn't be that tuff to figure out once they get it up in the air.

Thread Information