Rust Bucket Firebird!!!

This is a discussion on Rust Bucket Firebird!!! within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Hello, I was wondering if you guys can help me out with some assistance. Frankly I purchased a Firebird and ...

Chameleon Green
    2000 Pontiac Firebird

Rust Bucket Firebird!!!

Hello, I was wondering if you guys can help me out with some assistance. Frankly I purchased a Firebird and there needs to be some major overhaul done to this girl. i have already searched some of the sticky's which helped me figure out a few problems that my car already has. GOOD START! anywhoo.... hopefully you guys can shed some light into my direction.

My 2000 Firebird V6 3.8 has some issues. I also have some concerns. I bought the car right before winter so i didnt really get a chance to clean it, however i did know there was going to be a lot of work to do. here is a few issues and then i hope you guys can help me out.

1. the dashboard lights are beginning to dim out if they have not already, as well as the steering wheel lights. my shift knob lights went out the other day. (could use some help here)

2. radio/window issues. my clock radio does not display and its not the dimmer, i have checked. i did find a thread and possibly a solution to it.

http://www.fbodyonline.com/how-to-fi...dio-and-locks/

3. My hatch some times does not open from the remote or from the inside of the control panel. (could use some help here again)

4.the rust on my engine. its ridiculous. i honestly believe that the guy before me just took care of it at first and then fucked it up by flooding it or leaving it out in the rain with the hood up. ima try to post some pictures but if they dont work well maybe someone can help me out.

5. one of the pictures shows my ac compressor along with my engine oil filter, i have an issues with that. it almost seems as if the bearing isnt turning probably due to a shaft being loose, i figure ill just need a new installed since u cant "just" get the shaft.

6. my base speakers blew out and i replaced them with pioneer ts-g1643r from crutchfield, they just arent the same. i saw some threads with the fbody sites where they offer whole packages which i may consider, seeing that i hear some static from my hatch speakers. i also thought about the stealth enclosed speaker in the trunk... the space is useless anyhow and would make the car look better. (if you can help me out here with what some of you have done with pictures or something let me know.. not crazy systems though i dont have money like that.)

thank again for all your comments in advance, i hope to do a lot of remodeling.

(pictures should be at the bottom of this, hopefully there big too if not i need more help haha)

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The hatch is an easy fix. Pop off the rear trim panel and you will find a spring going to the latch mechanism. You simply need to add a helper spring to this so that there is a bit more tension on it. I'll try to find the thread that addresses this issue as it includes pics.

-----------------------------------------------------

Here it is: why wont my trunk open?
    Last edited by pajeff02; 03-27-2010 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Added link.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Any problems with your v6 and Smittro is the member to talk to. Really the car looks good to me. A little elbow grease and paint could clean up the engine bay. Shouldn't be too much work to get it where you want it.
    It's not how fast you can go. It's how fast you can get there.

Follow us at www.facebook.com/RGCustoms

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Just had time to check out the pics. I think a little TLC under the hood will work wonders. With the engine cold, soak down the entire thing with Simple Green and let it set for a few minutes. You can re-wet any areas that may start to dry.

Then take the hose to it and use a soft bristle brush on any gunked up areas. Avoid spraying water directly on the coils, plugs and other electronics if you can. At the same time, wash the underside of the hood and the radiator support. I use compressed air to blow out any puddles and then dry everything as best you can before firing the engine up to help it dry out.

You can then address the rust around the wheel houses -- ls1camino did a nice job with his last year: Battling Cancer and the Wire/Hood Release Hide Mod A little time and effort goes a long way on making our cars look good.

Chameleon Green
    2000 Pontiac Firebird

thanks for the thread on the spring latch. prolly going to work wonders for me. yeah once it gets a lil warmer ima clean sweep that engine most likely with cd2. im just alittle worried about having the water fuck something up.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The LS1 knock sensors are apparently susceptible to water damage. Not sure about the V-6 engines. I have washed engines for over 25 years and have never had a problem.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

a good cleaning with some simple green and bristled brush will do amazing wonders...

Thread Information