silver
    98 Trans Am

running rough and poped a code _help me out

98 trans am bolt on car Heres the story- i was driving home and it started raining, later i noticed the car idling rough( sounded like it had a cam). The ses light was on and when i took off it had hardly any power and felt bad. When the rpm's climbed up a little it felt almost normal, and i took it right home. Cranked it later, and it felt fine but still had a code. Had the code read at autozone PO152 The lady said this was for rear o2- which i dont think i have since i have longtubes and ory on my car. (pic below of readout) Now the ses light went off but the car is back to running rough again- and smells really rich. Just sitting in it idling makes ya smell like fumes. If this is a bad o2 sensor- is it normal to run bad after the ses light goes away. The car has had no codes and ran perfect since my dyno tune.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

did you go into any deep puddles?

Check your filter...make sure it isn't damp.

I'm thinking you may have hit a little too high of water and it got past your filter which would cause it to run rough. If the filter is still damp you'll continue to run rough till replaced/dry.

Bank 1 is drivers side, bank 2 is passenger side, Sensor 1 is the front, if 2 it is the rear.

Because you got the code the PCM is going to run a bit richer till it clears out. You can reset the pcm by disconnecting the battery for 20-30 mins or if your friends with the autozone rep he'll let you clear it out. (mine does)

If filter is ok, it is possible that the rain could have shorted out the O2 if again you got into some deep water.

silver
    98 Trans Am

No it was just a light rain, and i didnt hit any puddles. I guess the o2 just went bad- so bank 2 sensor 1 is passenger front- thanks I think im gonna try and wrap it with some heat tape or something also to prevent water or anything else hitting it. I read of others doing it and it seems like a good idea

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Agree with Scott. That code is for the passenger side front O2 sensor. I'd start by checking the wiring harness and make sure it's not damaged. If things look in-tact, I'd replace it.

How many miles on the O2 sensor?

Was that the only code pulled?

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

They just go bad. I had my driver front O2 go bad after the engine was replaced. Got a new O2 and installed. Everything is peachy.

silver
    98 Trans Am

yeah that was the only code- It was more than likely the original sensor also with 140k miles. Anyways i ordered a replacement-its on the way. I was wondering if it was normal to run bad because of a bad o2, but not have a code on the dash- The code went away after the 1st day, but it still wasnt running right.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Keep us posted.

Thread Information