running pig rich

I posted a thread about a cat code. I pulled the O2 and found it to be completely black with soot. The sensor is about a year old. I cleaned it with carb cleaner and the light hasn't come back yet...to early to tell. The big problem is I am running pig rich. My exhaust time are pitch black but the car seems to run ok. I've cleaned the intake sensors but what else can I do? Do the front O2 sensors work with the a/f mix. Help please!
    thanks

-01z28, A4, FIPK, Corsa

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

get a tune

NBM
    '00 Z28

Have you messed with your MAF at all? Are the little itty bitty wires in there okay?

Yes, front O2s control the A/F mix once the car has reached closed loop operation. So, to tell whether or not your O2 sensors could have anything to do with it or not; does your car blow rich at start up, or only after its warmed up?

If yes, it's not your O2 sensors.
    If no, replace the O2 sensors. Both at one time.

I'm pretty sure it runs fine on start up, it mostly at WOT and you see a cloud of smoke. The exhaust tips are pure soot, no signs of oil. I pulled the rear O2 and it was completely black. I tried to clean it up with some carb cleaner (which I've read might not have been a good idea) and the SES light has stayed off with the CAT code. I haven't pulled the front O2 but I'm sure it is just as black with soot. Would this give the sensor a false reading and cause a rich condition?

NBM
    '00 Z28

If they are covered with soot (which they undoubtedly are seeing as it doesn't get better upstream) they may not be working at all anymore. I've never heard of cleaning O2 sensors, but hey, who knows.

This could all be from bad O2s, but why would they both go bad at the same time? Have you done any mods? This sounds to me like their was a failure somewhere else that caused the rich condition. The O2 sensors may just be casualties of that failure. Not the actual problem.

Are you getting a good connection to the MAF sensor? Is their a problem with the TPS?

You're probably going to need to hook up to a scanner and take a look at what your sensors are telling your computer. Your computer is defaulting to a rich condition because something, somewhere went stupid.

what would be a good/easy to use scanner. I have a laptop so I'm open to that possiblity. Once you get the data how do you know what you are looking for? Would a Predator work for this? My mods are pretty much basic bolt-ons. Intake, exhaust, free mods. Any help is greatly appreciated. thanks
    Last edited by z28rktec; 01-23-2006 at 06:40 PM.

NBM
    '00 Z28

you could get the auto tap program from GM. That would be a good one. I don't have any experience with the predator. I know the SNAP ON scanner works well. It's easy to use too. They are spendy though.

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you for a scanner. I don't mess around with them much.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by z28rktec
    I'm pretty sure it runs fine on start up, it mostly at WOT and you see a cloud of smoke. The exhaust tips are pure soot, no signs of oil. I pulled the rear O2 and it was completely black. I tried to clean it up with some carb cleaner (which I've read might not have been a good idea) and the SES light has stayed off with the CAT code. I haven't pulled the front O2 but I'm sure it is just as black with soot. Would this give the sensor a false reading and cause a rich condition?
    These cars run pretty rich from the factory...believe it or not. At WOT the pcm is going off of pre-programmed A/F tables....so the o2's aren't being used...that's why I said you probably need a tune. You're probably running rich at WOT and that's where all the carbon/soot is coming from.

Yes a predator would work for this...but since you have a laptop already might as well go all out and get HPtuners. I have a predator and I love it...but it's only good for a "rough" tune, but it does everything I need...so far. If you buy one through RWTD you get unlimited custom tunes for 6 months.

Please excuse the ignorance, I'm looking at HPtuners. If I plug something like that into the car I will be able to see what the sensors are sending correct, but then how do I know what they should be saying so that I can make an attempt at pin pointing the problem. Also, does HPtuners have a "performance tune" sort of like predator that you can load on? Thanks for any help

Thread Information