Black
    2002 Trans Am Convertible

Running crappy - with codes

I need some advice as to how to best spend my $$ fixing this thing.

Yesterday, from a cold start, my TA felt like it was out of gas when I was attempting to leave a parking lot. It was barely running, but if I gave it a lot of throttle it would "wake up" and go, but then bog down again at lower RPMs. After a few laps around the parking lot, it cleared itself up and I drove 17 miles to my next stop.

I had some lunch, went to leave and it did the same thing only worse. This time it wasn't clearing up. I needed to get my son from school so I kept driving it, and it kept getting worse. Eventually the SES light started flashing indicating a misfire. By the time I got to my son's school something smelled really hot. I picked him up, and realized that I wasn't going to make it home. I stopped at my ex-wife's place a couple miles away and called for a tow. By that time the SES light was on solid with a P1133 code and the P0300.

I know what the codes mean, the 300 is a misfire and the 1133 is a lazy O2 sensor. But I'm thinking both are symptoms of a different problem. I'm thinking the lazy O2 sensor would not have caused the running-out-of-gas type behavior, right? I'm reluctant to spend the $$ on the O2 sensor when the problem is really probably fuel related. I may have baked the O2 sensor by continuing to drive it in its crappy running state, but I don't think that's the real issue here.

The car did stall a couple of times, and both times I could hear the fuel pump still running. I'm thinking of starting with the fuel filter. Make sense?

Advice would be appreciated.....

Thanks!

Jim

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Sure you can start with a fuel filter, cant hurt. But, I think before its over you'll be buying a o2 sensor. Since that code is for the drivers side front 02 sensor, I would swap that out to the passenger side to see if the problem follows. I'm sure it will.

problem is really probably fuel related
    Your right on there, that front o2 sensor is whats controlling your fuel. If its bad, your car will run poorly. Check the wiring going to that 02 sensor, then look at the sensor itself.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

P0300 is a random misfire. If I were you I'd pinpoint the miss first then see if the O2 code goes away. Take a stethoscope and listen to each injector and check for tickiing. Injectors don't throw codes. You could have a dead one and not know it. I know from personal experience. I ran on 6 cylinders and felt just like you did. If it's all good, disconnect your plug wires at the plug, use a spark tester and check for spark on all 8. Good chance you'll find the problem. If you have any questions PM me and I'll try my best to point you in the right direction

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Oh and hook up a fuel pressure gauge and check your pressure. You should be at 48-50 psi running or higher. Any lower check your fuel filter yes

Black

Quote Originally Posted by Redphoenix1998 View Post
    Oh and hook up a fuel pressure gauge and check your pressure. You should be at 48-50 psi running or higher. Any lower check your fuel filter yes
    I did that and it was a little over 50 PSI. So I didn't mess with the fuel filter.

I swapped out the LH front O2 sensor and it's as good as new. I guess the codes don't lie!

Thanks all!

Jim

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Good to hear.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Nice! Funny how O2 sensors can make your car cry

Black

Yep. I've never had one make the car behave that way, which is why I thought it had to be something else. But, I've never had a pre-cat sensor go bad before either. Live and learn, I suppose.

It was an easy fix and now I know what the symptoms are. I should have changed the oil while I was under there - it's due.

Jim

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

O2 failed causing the computer to dumb fuel to protect itself.

Glad it was easy.

Black

I may have spoken too soon.....

My first trip out today was uneventful. The car ran fine, though my son said it sounded funny. Maybe it does and I'm in denial, but it seemed okay.

I deliberately left the SES light on (didn't clear the code) because I wanted to see it resolve itself. On a warm start leaving the bank, it stumbled like it did yesterday (give it gas and there's nothing there). Simultaneously, the SES light went out and it was fine. I had hoped maybe it was some sort of hiccup caused by some diagnostic running.

Then, on another warm start it did the same thing for a split second - I nailed the throttle and there was nothing there but some misfires for about one second, and then it violently woke up back to normal.

It's been fine ever since. I'm thinking whatever it is will come back and take out that O2 sensor again. It's odd that the new O2 sensor mostly cleared it up though. The old one looked okay - not caked with anything and not much carbon for a 45k mile part.

Jim

red black
    98Z28

Start looking at your connectors and wiring also. Just unhooking and hooking back up may have moved things enough to make connection. Warm = spread apart cold means shrink back up, connected not connected. Seems to me worth looking at.....

Black

Quote Originally Posted by 89RS&98Z28 View Post
    Start looking at your connectors and wiring also. Just unhooking and hooking back up may have moved things enough to make connection. Warm = spread apart cold means shrink back up, connected not connected. Seems to me worth looking at.....
    I had the stealer replace both cats under warranty recently. They may have goofed up some wiring. The side in question looked okay, but I'll take a harder look at it.

Thanks,
    Jim

Thread Information