View Poll Results: royal purple or moblie 1

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • mobile 1

    65 62.50%
  • roayal purple

    39 37.50%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 112

royal purple gave 8 hp on tv show? how many switched?

This is a discussion on royal purple gave 8 hp on tv show? how many switched? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I haven't heard any bad things about royal purple until this thread. Is it just the expense? what weight are ...

  1. #21
    UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Omar's Tittie Taverna & Grill, Deh Rawod
    Posts
    1,447

    18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

    I haven't heard any bad things about royal purple until this thread. Is it just the expense?

    what weight are most using for their SS or Z? 5W30 0W30?

  2. #22
    Member fast enough Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Rowlett,Tx.
    Age
    35
    Posts
    659

    silver
    98 camaro z28 m6

    5w30

  3. #23
    SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lost in Texas
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,683

    Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Mobil 1 is not a 100% synthetic anymore....
    they stop making the good stuff and still charge the same price adn don't tell anybody. Mobil 1 is poop now

  4. #24
    SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lost in Texas
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,683

    Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

    Quote Originally Posted by SMKDFRD View Post
    Wait a minute. Are you saying that you use MOBILE 1 5-W. I've always used 10-W.
    I think everyone is saying that the use what our engines call for. 5w-30

  5. #25
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by oneBADDz View Post
    they stop making the good stuff and still charge the same price adn don't tell anybody. Mobil 1 is poop now
    LOL, ya thats pretty much how all things go, without a watchfull eye they slip right past you. Quality of most everything is not as good as it once was.

    So if Mobile 1 is no longer full synthetic,,,then what is?
    A friend of mine is a dealer for Royal Purple, although I have never used it. I have never used Mobil 1 either.

  6. #26
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    No synthetics for my tranny....
    I am with you,,,I never use sythetics in auto transmissions,,,just plain old dexron.

  7. #27
    Dirty Dave Arkansa Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Westville
    Posts
    16

    black
    2001 Z28

    i saw that episode and was thinking about switching but now i don't think i'll put the royal purple in the tranny but the rear end and the motor are getting it. right now i use mobil1 "full synthetic" and i've been checkin the prices royal purple ain't that much more expensive it just blows that you have to order it from a mag. i guess waiting till mile 2,999 then darting to the parts store isn't gonna cut it anymore. oh and what about filters are they all pretty much the same thing on the inside. i heard once that there is basically one or two big companies that make filters and then other sub companies buy them and stick a different label on them. is this just conspiracy theory talk or what.

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Vicksburg. Ms.
    Posts
    433

    pewter
    99 Trans Am

    True.I was talking to a parts man and he told me just that. That many of the oil filters are made by the same company and they put the stickers on them of other brands.Just like anything else,it's all about the label.It may be just me but I am not paying $8.00 for a quart of oil. I love my cars and I have never had a oil related problem,I use Dino oil in the engines and have for 22years in my 73 Dodge charger,30 years in my 69 short bed truck,25 years in my 77 camaro, and 8years in my 99 TA.I change my oil every 3 months, and trans and rearend oil every 2 years,I know that I might pick up 4 or 5 hp if I did,but at what point do you say enough is enough.Plus I have my wifes 2006 Ford 500 and a 93 jimmy, all running dino oils.60.00 to change oil is way to high for me. $360 to just change engine oil in all six cars.I don't think so.
    Last edited by Street Fighter; 04-18-2007 at 03:43 AM.

  9. #29
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Fighter View Post
    True.I was talking to a parts man and he told me just that. That many of the oil filters are made by the same company and they put the stickers on them of other brands.Just like anything else,it's all about the label.It may be just me but I am not paying $8.00 for a quart of oil. I love my cars and I have never had a oil related problem,I use Dino oil in the engines and have for 22years in my 73 Dodge charger,30 years in my 69 short bed truck,25 years in my 77 camaro, and 8years in my 99 TA.I change my oil every 3 months, and trans and rearend oil every 2 years,I know that I might pick up 4 or 5 hp if I did,but at what point do you say enough is enough.Plus I have my wifes 2006 Ford 500 and a 93 jimmy, all running dino oils.60.00 to change oil is way to high for me. $360 to just change engine oil in all six cars.I don't think so.
    I always ran dino oil as well in my older cars. 20 years in my 72 chevelle and going on 15 years in my 70 firebird, 15 years in my 79 chev truck, and 20 years in my nomad plus some other cars as well (too many to list). But now the dino oils have changed significantly. They no longer have zink and other important properties that gave them the lubricity they once had,,,thanks to the EPA. Alot of camshaft failures have resulted (flat tappet cams) since this change. There has been alot of talk about it.
    I even used to run the racing blend oils in my cars, but they too have lost the zink and other properties now,,,so they really have no advantage anymore. The only dino oil on the market anymore that still has these important properties is deisel oil. Most people have switched their older cars over to deisel oils for this reason, because it's cheaper than synthetic and still offers the protection the dino oils once did. But the deisel oil is limited and soon will no longer have Zinc either. So options are running out.
    I made the switch to synthetic on all 7 of my cars,,,and yes it's expensive to change the oil every 2-3,000 miles as I do,,,,but I just don't trust the dino oils anymore since they have lost Zinc,,,and I had an expensive (over $1,000) camshaft failure in my chevelle just very recently (on a roller cam of all things). After that motor has been together for several years, and I only drive it about 1-2 times a week,,,go figure.
    This is something to keep in mind. Larry.

  10. #30
    Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bragg NC
    Posts
    2,835

    Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

    Iv been using mobil 1 for sometime now and i have no complaints although i did try royal purple and was not impressed at all, in fact my oil pressure dropped a good amount, enough too make me concerned, so i went back too mobil 1 and the issue was solved.
    Just my observation's, and opin thou
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

  11. #31
    Speak the truth jad628's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,307

    Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

    Have you noticed that Mobil 1 now has two grades of synthetic? The one we were used to and now, TA DA, an "extreme" version. Sounds like the "new" one is the "old" one that we remember. It costs more though. Go figure.

    I'm still using Mobil 1 though. I've had absolutely no engine problems with it in all the vehicles I have, and have had, since I started using it in the late 80's. It ain't broke, so I ain't fixing it.

    As far as filters go, I never had the Fram experience that so many warn about, but I've switched to using AC/Delco or Mobil 1 filters exclusively. I did use the Fram w/PTFE filters for a while when they first came out and had no problems, but just to be safe, I switched.

    Like a long-time mechanic friend of mine says, he would rather re-use oil several times with new oil filter changes, than to use fresh oil with an old filter. What he means is that the oil filter is much more important than most people realize.

  12. #32
    SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lost in Texas
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,683

    Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

    Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    Iv been using mobil 1 for sometime now and i have no complaints although i did try royal purple and was not impressed at all, in fact my oil pressure dropped a good amount, enough too make me concerned, so i went back too mobil 1 and the issue was solved.
    Just my observation's, and opin thou
    J
    If it flows smoother, you will lose oil pressure. oil pressure is resistance to flow, so it isn't necessarily a good thing to use oil that increases oil pressure

  13. #33
    Member NHRAMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Vancouver,B.C.,Canada.W.Coast
    Posts
    513

    Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

    Castrol
    99 WS6 M6 NBM !Cags,!Cats,Vinci/Crane,Hurst,Detroit TruTrac,3:73,31 Splne,Edel.Race LT's,ORY,QTEC,Flow,ARP,Percy,MSD,SLP,AC/DELCO,Bosch,GMPP,Cntrfrce DF,Htchkiss,Susp.Tech,Lakewood,285's,Bilstein,Pro-kit,SLP,RK Sprt,A/Meter,Red Optima,Magnaflow S/S Tips,Hd Pins,Tint,Fire.Ex,[*4 Hot Rod Power Tours*]

  14. #34
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,328

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    Quote Originally Posted by Arkansa Dave View Post
    i saw that episode and was thinking about switching but now i don't think i'll put the royal purple in the tranny but the rear end and the motor are getting it. right now i use mobil1 "full synthetic" and i've been checkin the prices royal purple ain't that much more expensive it just blows that you have to order it from a mag. i guess waiting till mile 2,999 then darting to the parts store isn't gonna cut it anymore. oh and what about filters are they all pretty much the same thing on the inside. i heard once that there is basically one or two big companies that make filters and then other sub companies buy them and stick a different label on them. is this just conspiracy theory talk or what.
    I got my RP at NAPA. I aint paying for shipping or handling for oil.

  15. #35
    Member SS-Power's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    241

    White
    2000 SS Camaro

    I have Redline oil in my motor and Royal purple in tranny+rear. I like the royal purple in the rear and tranny. Won't use Redline again, too expensive, will go to royal purple.

  16. #36
    Junior Member NVRANUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ponchatoula Louisiana
    Age
    58
    Posts
    65
    Blog Entries
    1

    Black
    1999 Trans am

    Castrol Syntec 5w30.. Made in Baton Rouge LA. Good ole USA !

    0 wieght oil is way to light unless your running your Ls1 in the antarctic.

  17. #37
    Junior Member Gunny's Goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chillicothe, MO
    Age
    60
    Posts
    42

    Torrid Red
    2004 GTO

    You can get RP at O'Reilly's. I believe it is $1.00 a qt more than M1. I just put a Yank converter in my GTO, and they sent it in writing not to use syn. oil. I use M1, but am thinking about changing to Amsoil. It is 100% syn.
    2004 GTO, A4, Torrid Red/Blk, 1 of 1031, Yank SS3600, Dart-225s 62cc, Cometic .040, CompCams 230/236-.613/.608-112LSA, Hi Tech 7.350 pushrods, Kook 1 7/8, CAT/Reson. delete, 3" H-pipe, super 40s, Ported TB, TB bypass, 160TS, SLP MAF, JBA wires, NGK TR-55, New ERA CAI, tuned = 392hp/344tq

  18. #38
    Mosler MT900 S Secret Formula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,426

    Arctic White Hardtop
    '98 Formula M6

    I was gonna try royal purple but autozone was out so I just got mobil 1.

  19. #39
    Retired NOT tired SteveC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Poway, Ca
    Posts
    1,126

    SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

    I did use Mobil 1 at one time, and had alot of piston slap when the engine was cold, I switched to the same weight RP (10W-30) and within 2 oil changes almost all of my piston slap was gone.

    Don't know about the 8hp increase at the rear wheels though.

    SteveC

  20. #40
    Senior Member greatwhiteZ28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    d
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,675

    white
    2002 z28

    Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    Have you noticed that Mobil 1 now has two grades of synthetic? The one we were used to and now, TA DA, an "extreme" version. Sounds like the "new" one is the "old" one that we remember. It costs more though. Go figure.

    I'm still using Mobil 1 though. I've had absolutely no engine problems with it in all the vehicles I have, and have had, since I started using it in the late 80's. It ain't broke, so I ain't fixing it.

    As far as filters go, I never had the Fram experience that so many warn about, but I've switched to using AC/Delco or Mobil 1 filters exclusively. I did use the Fram w/PTFE filters for a while when they first came out and had no problems, but just to be safe, I switched.

    Like a long-time mechanic friend of mine says, he would rather re-use oil several times with new oil filter changes, than to use fresh oil with an old filter. What he means is that the oil filter is much more important than most people realize.

    i saw a commercail on that extream stuff. would that be better to use that moblil 1 or just stay w reg. mobile 1

    whats really the diff besides the price?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2010 Royal Purple Giveaway - Royal Shop Talk
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-10-2010, 04:33 AM
  2. Royal Purple?
    By BlueZ01 in forum General Help
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-19-2009, 08:34 PM
  3. Royal Purple
    By JwMonE99 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-11-2008, 06:57 AM
  4. Royal Purple
    By MavrickCJH in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-16-2006, 05:59 AM
  5. Where to buy Royal Purple?
    By Blown Interceptor in forum Western Members
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-19-2006, 07:58 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •