Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Angry Rough Ride after install....

so I installed a new polyurethane trans. mount. There is a noticable difference in the roughness of ride and road noise. Especially in the amount of vibration transfered from the drive train. i have heard this is normal.. what can you guys tell me. I didnt want to install a stock mount b/c its straight rubber and my car tore the last one to shit. Now I am wondering if i should have just done that. Any alternatives to the polyeur. mounts. HELP! thx guys.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

i don't know about alternatives, but if you don't like the ride switch back. When i first installed mine i was shocked. It ran like crap down the highway. I was so pissed I almost put the old torn up nasty back on.

It has been a few thousand miles and it rides better. Some one also told me over time it would get better, and to wait, so i did. It is more flaky and temper mental on the high way now, but very live able. Personally I think I can find other things to tweak before going back to rubber to smooth out the ride. It won't be perfect but every car is different and mine always had extra vibrations on the highway, even with rubber.

I said this on another thread. If you're picky like me it will drive you nuts, but it is always personal preference. I find myself nit picking every thing and second guessing it every day. But I have decided to live with it for the simple fact it cost me 25 bucks. And I don't like buying parts twice, just me being cheap.

I even traded 2 PT Cruisers with the same bad vibration problem at city speeds because I hated driving a car that was broken. My z28 is different. Its only highway speeds above mid 60s, and i know why it does it. The PTs I dumped time and money and never found the problem, bummer.

My advice, gut check on what you can tolerate. you're talking what like 25 bucks versus about 80-90 something like that, twice the cost at most. I obsessed over it so much I called Prothane and talked to them one day. It's your call, comfort, and money.

I think for the money the Prothane products are very good. My z28 and experience is totally personal and not a bad reflection on poly mounts. I look forward to swapping more rubber for poly. I bet one day my z28 will rattle the fillings right out of my jaw, lol...

Good Luck.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Get used to it or switch it back. They put a rubber one there for this reason. I didn't like it at 1st either. I either got used to it or it softens up a bit. Give it some time.

Arctic White
    2000/Trans Am

mine did the same thing and it has also softened or I dont really notice it as much.I have been told you can grind down some of the rubber and it will be smoother and I have also been told that removing the extra plate will solve this problem as well.
    Good luck!!

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

yeah i still dunno what i am gonna do, i will prob drive it a few more time and decide. I dont mind it being rough so much at lower speeds, but I took her out today and when I get up in the 120mph region, there is a lot of vibration, esp, in the steering wheel. I dont like that at all. It wasnt like that witht he rubber one, I replaced b/c the rubber went bad, and though I would go stronger,....but now i am thinking i went the wrong way...........

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

The stock rubber mount is plenty strong enough IMO. The vibration of the poly mount is the exact reason I spent the 65 bucks and bought a stock mount. These cars ride like go carts the way it is without adding to it.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

ok thanks

Thread Information