Black
    1998 Trans Am, 2007 TB SS

Rough Idle Conspiracy?

Has anyone else noticed a large number of people with rough idles, problems with spark (plugs, wires, or coils), or fuel problems (pumps to filters)? Recently one my brothers (01' SS) had to have all of his plugs and wires replaced because they were burned out, my other brother (02' Mustang GT) had to have a coil replaced because his car was misfiring, and now my car is idling like crap and is acting like it wants to cut off. All our cars did this within three weeks of each other and just the other day, my girlfriend's car was "stumbling" while idling. I've also noticed a handful of threads popping up on this board lately, including one I started myself about similar problems. Am I the only one who's noticed this? Any thoughts on what it could be or just coincidence? Possibly the gas, because I have noticed that the higher prices get, the shorter it lasts.

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

My car has always idled a little rough, especially after the header install. It runs like a scalded dog but shakes a little when idling. I've kinda wandered the same, sometimes it sounds like my car is trying to find a good RPM to idle at.
    98 Z-28 camaro
    A4

Pewter
    01 Trans Am

I too suffer from the idle almost like my engine is lacking power! I use to idle right at 800 now when it comes down it stops at 1K rpm for 2-3 seconds then drops to 800. I cleaned the MAF because it was dropping to 500 then up to 800? MAF issue still - is there any way to test this? Man I have new plugs wires new TPS sensor what's next. I think I'm going to have a shop run a power test on the motor to see if one cylinder is pulling less than the others than go from there. Can most any shop do that???

Camaro

All 98-99 LS1's ran rough because they had the bigger cam. GM went to a different cam profile in 2000 because of the complaints they had about the idle quality.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

basic maintenence

Pewter
    01 Trans Am

I've done all basic maintanance though and I have an 01 with the M6?? Oh well I just can't figure it all out - even with a little help from you. I'll be turning it over to a shop soon - but it's running for now...

Black

I think I'll soon have to go to a shop soon myself. I changed everything I can think off, couldn't find a vacuum leak, and I cleaned the MAF but it still has "miss" every now and again. It sucks. Mikeaford, have you tried to unhook your MAF with the car running and see if your idle smooths out?

Black

And my car always idled rather smoothly until about a month ago, now it's acting like my ex-girlfriend.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Mine idles rough.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

maroonZ
    Did you descreen the MAF or put on ported MAF ends?

I read a technical article that said removing the the screen or porting/using ported MAF ends may cause stumbling under acceleration or rough idle or both. It has something to do with laminar airflow and the MAF being designed to work with the airflow coming through the screen.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I think it's mostly because these cars are starting to see some miles now and the fact that it's an LS1. I have a 98 LS1 f-body and an 04 LS1 GTO and they both idle rough compared to import 4 bangers. Just the nature of the beast and I love every minute of it.

Thread Information