Thread: Rough Idle

White
    98 Z28 Camaro

Rough Idle

Hey guys I have a 98 z28. Yesterday I was driving my car and while i was sitting at a light it felt like my car was going to stall out. It was idleing really rough. When I step on the gas the car drives fine. It seems like theres something wrong with it getting fuel at idle speed. I have long tube headers on it with an offroad y-pipe. It has o2 sims on it. I havent changed my fuel filter in a couple years. It feels like its going to die on me if i dont keep giving it gas. I was wondering if it could be my 02 sensors or my fuel filter. I have plenty of voltage. Any ideas would be very helpful.

Silver
    2004 SVT Cobra

Start with basic trouble shooting items, the cheap stuff. Definately get a new fuel filter. Try a PCV valve too. Have someone rev the car while you watch from the back, look for black smoke.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by drummer52910 View Post
    Start with basic trouble shooting items, the cheap stuff. Definately get a new fuel filter. Try a PCV valve too. Have someone rev the car while you watch from the back, look for black smoke.
    Good info.. On all lids factory or aftermarket is a IAT,IATS.. It is the inlet air tempature sensor. If it is bad or not connected the car will drive like you state. And as stated above other things can do the same.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Mileage? Have you replaced any spark plugs recently? Are any dash lights coming on?

White
    98 Z28 Camaro

The SES light is on. The plugs were changed about 20,000 miles ago when I put my headers in.

White
    98 Z28 Camaro

The plugs are rated for 100,000 miles

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

See if you can get a code reader and get the engine code thats coming up. It may tell you if a cylinder is missing or if you are running rich or lean. You should still change your fuel filter though, thats just good maintenance.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    Good info.. On all lids factory or aftermarket is a IAT,IATS.. It is the inlet air tempature sensor. If it is bad or not connected the car will drive like you state. And as stated above other things can do the same.
    I have the same rough idle issue as the original poster (sorry for hijacking your thread) and would like to try installing a new IAT, as per your suggestion. But what's confusing me is the actual location of the IAT sensor. You say it plugs into the lid, but I'm sure I've also seen mention of it being the higher of the 2 sensors that go into the throttle body and I've also heard that the IAT is usually part of the MAF!

Just looking at my engine I see 1 lead going into the lid, 1 going into the MAF and 2 into the throttle body. I just want to confirm that the one going into the lid is definitely the one I need to change.

Btw, I've ordered ACDelco Part #213-243....is that correct?
    Last edited by david68; 08-29-2008 at 03:25 PM.

NBM
    1998Z28

I 've got a 98 and it is definately the one on the airlid. May I suggest you get a $5.00 can of MAF cleaner and clean your MAF before you start spending money elsewhere.
    TSP 347 SB, TSP Stage 2.5 PRC LS6, TSP MS4, Performabuilt Stage 2 4L60E, Yank PT4000, 4.11s, Fast 90/90, FTRA Cold air intake+all the free mods, Dynatech Supermaxx Exaust System, DMH Cutouts, Hooker Catback/FTRA Tips. Tuned by RPM/Garner NC. 11.28@119

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by PFM View Post
    I 've got a 98 and it is definately the one on the airlid. May I suggest you get a $5.00 can of MAF cleaner and clean your MAF before you start spending money elsewhere.
    Thanks for confirming the location for me.

I've cleaned my MAF with electical contact cleaner spray as I had that to hand, but it made no noticeable difference. The idle is fine when the engine's cold but as soon as it's up to temperarure and I'm stationary in Drive, it sometimes feels like it's going to cut out....but it hasn't yet and no warning lights are showing.

Silver
    2004 SVT Cobra

I've cleaned my MAF with electical contact cleaner spray as I had that to hand, but it made no noticeable difference. The idle is fine when the engine's cold but as soon as it's up to temperarure and I'm stationary in Drive, it sometimes feels like it's going to cut out....but it hasn't yet and no warning lights are showing.
    So your car is an auto? Does it only idle rough when your in drive only, not in neutral or park? If so it could be a problem with your torque converter.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28

So your car is an auto? Does it only idle rough when your in drive only, not in neutral or park? If so it could be a problem with your torque converter.
    Yes it's an auto and yes it only idles rough when in drive and holding it on the brake. In Park or Neutral the rpm is higher and the idle smoother.

Silver
    2004 SVT Cobra

Its sounds trannsmission related then, probally the torque converter. How many miles on the car?

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28

Its sounds trannsmission related then, probally the torque converter. How many miles on the car?
    Well it's only got 41k on it so I'd hope it wouldn't be the transmission. I'd assumed it was some kind of fuel/air issue, like it running too rich or something like that.

Thread Information