Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Rotors

This is a discussion on Rotors within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by SteveC HOGWASH!!!!, maybe CHEAP drilled rotors will, for the price you guys are quoteing, that's what you ...

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    HOGWASH!!!!, maybe CHEAP drilled rotors will, for the price you guys are quoteing, that's what you are getting.

I have Baer Eradespeed (sp) rotors (drilled and slotted) both front and rear, and I have had no problems with them whatsoever, I paid $735 at the time and they came with sets of Hawk HPS pads.

SteveC
    heated gas gets trapped in the holes and is still rapidly expanding faster than it can escape... end result = cracks... do you auto cross at all??? have you ever locked them up under hard accelleration???

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

You need to brake in your brakes befor regular use put them trough a few heat cycles then you can stomp on the pedal I have cheapo drilled and sloted rotors with hawk pads on all 4 corners and I love them the car stops on a dime my stock rotors were warped when I bought the car 19500 miles so I cut them put new gm pads and the pulse was back in about 2000 miles I have had no problems with the x drilled and sloted no cracks and no pulseing only grinding noise I get is at high speed brakeing and I mean 120 plus miles per hour if installed properly (by wich I mean the right rotational direction )you will have no problems and this is one of the best mods you can do the rotors I have seen crack needed to be replaced already befor they cracked

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    HOGWASH!!!!, maybe CHEAP drilled rotors will, for the price you guys are quoteing, that's what you are getting.
    SteveC
    I guess that is why Brembo DOES NOT recommend their drilled and slotted rotors for actual racing.

Yours are for appearance. Brembo is more than willing to say that is really the only good drilled and slotted rotors are good for.

NBM
    1998Z28

I've got them and they are very heat sensitive. If you make a back to back run at the dragstrip the 2nd run takes way longer to slow down they fade so bad. But I got to admit they look good. I'm thinking about leaving the rears alone and getting 2 NAPA front rotors for mine. Just plain stock.
    TSP 347 SB, TSP Stage 2.5 PRC LS6, TSP MS4, Performabuilt Stage 2 4L60E, Yank PT4000, 4.11s, Fast 90/90, FTRA Cold air intake+all the free mods, Dynatech Supermaxx Exaust System, DMH Cutouts, Hooker Catback/FTRA Tips. Tuned by RPM/Garner NC. 11.28@119

I don't know where you guys get your info. Cheap rotors are cheap rotors regardless of being drilled or slotted and use at your own risk. Most of them are cast holes which are weak.

Quality drilled rotors don't crack because holes or trapped gasses. Brembo sells them for race cars I know I've been on their site and seen them go check for yourself. Not to mention I've seen tons of cars at summit running drilled rotors. Much more stress then auto cross considering the high speeds and sharp corners with extreme braking zones.

This is a quote from Brembo's website. Note they say they manufacture cross drilled rotors for VERY HIGH PERFORMANCE applications.

Brembo designs and manufactures cross drilled brake discs to be fitted as original equipment by a vehicle manufacturer. In these instances, the vehicle in question is usually of very high performance and needs the additional performance that these discs offer. The Sport discs that Brembo offers are direct replacements for the discs fitted as original equipment. These discs are available in both drilled and slotted configurations, and are engineered and manufactured to the same high standards as those fitted as original equipment.

All this being said Brembo blanks are great rotors for a good price. However if you want the look of drilled rotors just get quality ones from Brembo or Baer and you will have no problems. Buy cheap rotors and brake at your own risk. I wouldn't scrimp on something so important just to look good.

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    I don't know where you guys get your info. Cheap rotors are cheap rotors regardless of being drilled or slotted and use at your own risk. Most of them are cast holes which are weak.

Quality drilled rotors don't crack because holes or trapped gasses. Brembo sells them for race cars I know I've been on their site and seen them go check for yourself. Not to mention I've seen tons of cars at summit running drilled rotors. Much more stress then auto cross considering the high speeds and sharp corners with extreme braking zones.

This is a quote from Brembo's website. Note they say they manufacture cross drilled rotors for VERY HIGH PERFORMANCE applications.

Brembo designs and manufactures cross drilled brake discs to be fitted as original equipment by a vehicle manufacturer. In these instances, the vehicle in question is usually of very high performance and needs the additional performance that these discs offer. The Sport discs that Brembo offers are direct replacements for the discs fitted as original equipment. These discs are available in both drilled and slotted configurations, and are engineered and manufactured to the same high standards as those fitted as original equipment.

All this being said Brembo blanks are great rotors for a good price. However if you want the look of drilled rotors just get quality ones from Brembo or Baer and you will have no problems. Buy cheap rotors and brake at your own risk. I wouldn't scrimp on something so important just to look good.
    with rc74racer.............I had a Corvette that I used to run at many high speed events, including Summit Point, which rc refers to. I had a set of Baer EradiSpeed rotors (in fact, my C4 was the 1st one in the country to get them from Baer when they 1st came out, I have a letter from Baer attesting to that fact) I ran them with Hawk HPS pads..........
    never had a problem.
    Last edited by fxgs; 12-23-2008 at 08:33 AM.

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

well I'm still planning on putting them on tomorrow and yes I did get Hawk Performance Pads

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    heated gas gets trapped in the holes and is still rapidly expanding faster than it can escape... end result = cracks... do you auto cross at all??? have you ever locked them up under hard accelleration???
    No, I have never auto crossed or raced the vehicle, however unfortunetly I was in 2 situations where I had to panic stop at high speeds, and the brakes came through with flying colors. I also have a set of Russel SS braided brake hoses, the entire setup gives me a much firmer pedal and more confidence when I have to use the brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I guess that is why Brembo DOES NOT recommend their drilled and slotted rotors for actual racing.

Yours are for appearance. Brembo is more than willing to say that is really the only good drilled and slotted rotors are good for.
    You know nothing about me or my driving habits, or why I purchased the brake upgrade in the first place, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, however you know what they say about opinions.

SteveC

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

I had slotted and drilled rotors on my car when i bought it and havent had a problem. They have taken some abuse and gone through cold and hot weather and no cracking or anything.
    Summitracing sells them for a good price im not sure how well they hold up though

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

well got them installed today here is some pics....

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Good pics. Let us know how they perform for you.

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

thanks.... will do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information