Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rotors.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Rotors.

Hey guys. I need some help here or advice.
    I need front rotors.
    I'm buying all 4 of them. I really want the slotted only cuz I think they look better than slotted and drilled. But what u guys think I should get?
    Slotted only or drilled and slotted.
    I dnt want to have issues with cracked rotors in the future and I knw I might have them with drilled ones.
    Thanks 4 the help.
    00 ss blk m6 " STOCK" strano springs, slp bilstein shocks, adj LCA, adj panhard bar, relocation brackets, 2 point SFCs welded,OEM zo6 rims black, magnaflow exhaust, CME exhaust,E/cutout, slp grille, custom front plate mount, HIDs, whistler mod, side moldings delete, slp air lid, ported and polished TB, strut tower brace, 3.73s gears, and some other parts to list!
    next to come,4.10s,ls7 clutch, ms3 or 228r cam, ported 243s, ls6 intake, ls6 oil pump. ls2 timing chain, longtube headers no cats, with a tune..
    02 tahoe Z71 blacked out
    00 jeep grand Cherokee limited on 22s.
    07 Dodge Charger R/T Inferno Red, Sold
    98 z28 red m6 sold
    07 zx6r ninja flat/black sold
    08 zx6r ninja sold

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

The guys who road race there cars use blanks. If you want slotted for looks then get the slotted.

brakes are there to STOP the car haha....get the brembo blanks....i know alot of people that get the cheaper drilled ones and they crack BUT them there are the people that dont have any problems so its one of those things

witch ever you get, make sure you get good pads....most people buy that shit from the parts store for $9.99 and wonder why there car doesnt stop any better then before hahahaha
    Last edited by Blackbird WS6; 11-11-2010 at 11:39 PM.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6 View Post
    brakes are there to STOP the car haha....get the brembo blanks....i know alot of people that get the cheaper drilled ones and they crack BUT them there are the people that dont have any problems so its one of those things

witch ever your get, make sure you get good pads....most people buy that shit from the parts store for $9.99 and wonder why there car doesnt stop any better then before hahahaha
    That's because they drive there cars like p%#sy's

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    well lets thank god mine cracked haha

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6 View Post
    well lets thank god mine cracked haha

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

I'm kinda goin more for looks. And the drilled rotors look kinda funny to me.
    I found some slotted only for $117 on eBay. For all of them.
    I'm try em out and see what's up.

On the pads I'm goin for EBC ceramic pads (red stuff). Only for the front cuz they are almost $100 lol
    And the back some other cheaper ceramic pads.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

I use the "Baer" Eradaspeed drilled and slotted rotors, with no problems of warping or cracking.

You may want to consider replacing your stock brake hoses with SS braided hoses, this will firm up your pedal.

SteveC

Impounded
    R1 concepts... D/S rotors for $209 (or so) for all four...decent reviews too

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

I'm a go check em out.
    Ws6store has some for good prices too.

Where could I find those brake hoses. And how much they are?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    I use the "Baer" Eradaspeed drilled and slotted rotors, with no problems of warping or cracking.

You may want to consider replacing your stock brake hoses with SS braided hoses, this will firm up your pedal.

SteveC
    those are made to be drilled and slotted.....most of the cheap drilled and slotted are just stock rotors that the company drilled and thats why they crack

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    I have UNcracked slotted and drilled rotors and put the car in the 11's.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Lots of people has different opinions bout rotors. But my question is. Do they really help brakin? Or do the same job as the stock rotors. And what really helps Is the pads?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    The kind of driving I'm talking about everything stays hot for a lot longer than just the deceleration after a 1/4 mile pass. Taking away the mass of the rotor takes away it's ability to absorb heat and diminishes the surface area of pad to rotor contact. OP said he's going for looks so my argument is moot anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    R1 concepts... D/S rotors for $209 (or so) for all four...decent reviews too
    That's where I bought my drilled and slotted rotors with pads all the way around for $180 shipped. Did both my wifes car and my car the same way. Been about a year now of street driving and some racing. Excellent.

Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by 98maro View Post
    Lots of people has different opinions bout rotors. But my question is. Do they really help brakin? Or do the same job as the stock rotors. And what really helps Is the pads?
    I can tell you my story on my 02 SS. Went to the dealer twice under warranty for warped rotors. After warranty was gone, I went to the local parts store, bought Bendix rotors with new ceramic pads, warped within 30 miles of driving. They warrantied them and I stuck another set of Bendix on with a new set of ceramic pads again. They also warped withing 30 miles. They warrantied that set as well but this time I didn't put them on.
    At this point I was getting sick of replacing this stuff. The good name brands were warping and the cheap china stuff they had was even worse quality with less cooling fins, they even weighed less when you picked them up, and were half the price. We tore into alot of boxes at this point comparing rotor quality. I finally gave up on stock blank rotors with these cars. I decided this car needed to dissipate heat better so I started looking into drilled and slotted.

Orion got me onto R1 Concepts. I bought the drilled and slotted with their ceramic pads and did the car all the way around. I'm happy to say the warping issues dissappeared. Been about a year or more on that car now with several thousand miles and some drag strip passes. I couldn't be happier.
    Actually I did my wifes car first when it was due for brakes, I didn't hesitate, ordered the exact same setup for her car and did all four. We have put about 10-12,000 miles on that car now with a couple of cross country trips, driving it to work, and I've made some strip passes with it as well.
    They have performed flawlessly on this car too. As far as the 4th gens go, I don't think I'll ever go back to blanks, especially on my 4th gen that had so much trouble with them. It's become obvious to me that drilled and slotted isn't just for looks, they are having some kind of effect on dissipating heat and it's working for me. Just my experiences.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Same here no cracks period.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I can tell you my story on my 02 SS. Went to the dealer twice under warranty for warped rotors. After warranty was gone, I went to the local parts store, bought Bendix rotors with new ceramic pads, warped within 30 miles of driving. They warrantied them and I stuck another set of Bendix on with a new set of ceramic pads again. They also warped withing 30 miles. They warrantied that set as well but this time I didn't put them on.
    At this point I was getting sick of replacing this stuff. The good name brands were warping and the cheap china stuff they had was even worse quality with less cooling fins, they even weighed less when you picked them up, and were half the price. We tore into alot of boxes at this point comparing rotor quality. I finally gave up on stock blank rotors with these cars. I decided this car needed to dissipate heat better so I started looking into drilled and slotted.

Orion got me onto R1 Concepts. I bought the drilled and slotted with their ceramic pads and did the car all the way around. I'm happy to say the warping issues dissappeared. Been about a year or more on that car now with several thousand miles and some drag strip passes. I couldn't be happier.
    Actually I did my wifes car first when it was due for brakes, I didn't hesitate, ordered the exact same setup for her car and did all four. We have put about 10-12,000 miles on that car now with a couple of cross country trips, driving it to work, and I've made some strip passes with it as well.
    They have performed flawlessly on this car too. As far as the 4th gens go, I don't think I'll ever go back to blanks, especially on my 4th gen that had so much trouble with them. It's become obvious to me that drilled and slotted isn't just for looks, they are having some kind of effect on dissipating heat and it's working for me. Just my experiences.
    I had the same issues with blanks warping. Like you I bought the quality name brands and also did the cheaper ones. And like you once I went to drilled and slotted I have not had a issue since. I have had them on for 3 years now. I have many long road trips on them, many 1/4 mile passes, etc. I know I will never go back to blanks here.

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    Same here no cracks period.

I had the same issues with blanks warping. Like you I bought the quality name brands and also did the cheaper ones. And like you once I went to drilled and slotted I have not had a issue since. I have had them on for 3 years now. I have many long road trips on them, many 1/4 mile passes, etc. I know I will never go back to blanks here.
    You and I aren't the only ones. At first I thought I had a real problem with the car, sticking calipers or maybe break in etc...but after GM doing it twice, then I did it twice I knew it went deeper than that.
    There has to be something to those drilled/slotted rotors dissipating heat. I became a believer. And I'll be the first to admit I'm not into all the bling bling crap. I certainly didn't do it for the looks.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    You and I aren't the only ones. At first I thought I had a real problem with the car, sticking calipers or maybe break in etc...but after GM doing it twice, then I did it twice I knew it went deeper than that.
    There has to be something to those drilled/slotted rotors dissipating heat. I became a believer. And I'll be the first to admit I'm not into all the bling bling crap. I certainly didn't do it for the looks.

Heck I even bought into the GM BS. At the dealership they stated the OEM GM rotors were the best. So I paid the most money I have ever spent on a set of rotors from them. I laughed because just like you in 30 miles they were warped. I took them back to GM and said thanks but no thanks. That is when I went drilled and slotted.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Thamek for all the replies guys.
    So getting drilled and slotted is the best option?
    I knw I need my rotors asap. But I want to make the best choice.

Quote Originally Posted by 98maro View Post
    Thamek for all the replies guys.
    So getting drilled and slotted is the best option?
    I knw I need my rotors asap. But I want to make the best choice.
    I don't know what the best choice for your personal needs would be.

For me, after what I went through I was willing to dive in and be a guinea pig and try anything at that point.

I can't honestly say if the drilled alone, or the slotted alone would have worked. I just bought them with both drilled/slotted and figured I needed all the help I could get I'm happy to say it worked for me so that's what I'm going to stick with on these cars from now on.

Thread Information