Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Rod bolt problem!!!!!

This is a discussion on Rod bolt problem!!!!! within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Hi-Po Ya, I have those. They usually work pretty good. Drilling with an easy out works also. ...

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Ya, I have those. They usually work pretty good.

Drilling with an easy out works also. Left handed drill bits work well with studs that are not rusted. In your case, a left handed drill bit might work. If not, you have a nice hole to smack an "easy out" in and turn it out.
    Ah........this is a good idea as well. Thanks man....Sounds like the vice grips or the sockets that hold to "anything" might be worth looking into. I'm assuming I should take ALL the ARP bolts out and re-do them. Or maybe I just upgrade to the LS2 rod bolts. I mean there suppose to be good up to 450 hp right???? With a 224R cam, freshly cleaned heads w/918's and LT's and ORY, I should be in a safe zone HP wise.. What do you think???

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by jb3golf View Post
    Ah........this is a good idea as well. Thanks man....Sounds like the vice grips or the sockets that hold to "anything" might be worth looking into. I'm assuming I should take ALL the ARP bolts out and re-do them. Or maybe I just upgrade to the LS2 rod bolts. I mean there suppose to be good up to 450 hp right???? With a 224R cam, freshly cleaned heads w/918's and LT's and ORY, I should be in a safe zone HP wise.. What do you think???
    Personally, If I was in there... I would go with the Katech's. That's a good bolt. Good luck, there are many options/ways to remove a broken or worn fastener.

What TQ wrench are you using? When was the last time it was tested? Ever? A TQ wrench should be checked IMO, once a year. My two TQ wrench used to be off by a few pounds every year, But I was using mine alot, in extreme conditions. Ive seen Tq wrench's be very far off. Leaving them torqued for long periods of time kills them.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Personally, If I was in there... I would go with the Katech's. That's a good bolt. Good luck, there are many options/ways to remove a broken or worn fastener.

What TQ wrench are you using? When was the last time it was tested? Ever? A TQ wrench should be checked IMO, once a year. My two TQ wrench used to be off by a few pounds every year, But I was using mine alot, in extreme conditions. Ive seen Tq wrench's be very far off. Leaving them torqued for long periods of time kills them.
    Katechs huh? I saw them for $199.00!!! BUT since you don't have to re-size the rods I'm liking that idea.......... BTW, I've never even tested my torque wrench to see if it is spot on.....sounds like I better check BEFORE I do any more torquing!!!lol

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Katechs huh? I saw them for $199.00!!! BUT since you don't have to re-size the rods I'm liking that idea.......... BTW, I've never even tested my torque wrench to see if it is spot on.....sounds like I better check BEFORE I do any more torquing!!!lol
    What brand?

I have more money in TQ wrench's then I wanna think about. A good,accurate,precise torque wrench goes a long way. We used to have a company come into my shop twice a year that tested or torque wrench's.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

What brand?

I have more money in TQ wrench's then I wanna think about. A good,accurate,precise torque wrench goes a long way. We used to have a company come into my shop twice a year that tested or torque wrench's.
    Oh, I see. The brand name I used was "Powerbuilt". I think that's a pretty decent well established name right???

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

What up LS1's! Alright i have an update.....Good news: I was able to ascertain the problem I was having with the Rod Bolt install......I was using the wrong socket size!!!?!! I was using a 12 point 10mm as I've seen multiple write up's stating this socket was used.......well it wasn't right! It was a 3/8's 12 point.

The great news is that it fit tight and snug and even allowed me to make all the necessary passes-even on the ARP head bolts that were rounded off a bit. So all is good..........but man it took forever to align the k-member!!! I couldn't quite get it lined up so I could install the 2 large 18mm bolts that secures it (K-member) to the motor mounts.

I want to say thanks so much for everyone's input. It's appreciated.........

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

What brand?

Good call here Hi-Po!!! You know the Torque wrench I was using broke on me!! Yes, the powerbuilt brand....it just snapped and lost its screws as I was torquing. Dude how often do you tighten and check the accuracy of your TQ wrenches???

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Good call here Hi-Po!!! You know the Torque wrench I was using broke on me!! Yes, the powerbuilt brand....it just snapped and lost its screws as I was torquing. Dude how often do you tighten and check the accuracy of your TQ wrenches???
    When I was a Tech at Caterpillar, once every 6 months. Its not free to me anymore, so I don't do it religiously. Once a year would be plenty for the average guy in his garage depending on the work being done.

Buy a good torque wrench for x-mas this year

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

When I was a Tech at Caterpillar, once every 6 months. Its not free to me anymore, so I don't do it religiously. Once a year would be plenty for the average guy in his garage depending on the work being done.

Buy a good torque wrench for x-mas this year
    Yeah, that would be smart choice huh?! Good call. Have a good weekend & holiday.

white
    83 mustang coupe

It cost me 50 bucks to get my torque wrench re calibrated but thats cheaper than a new 1. And cheaper than mucked up bolt threads in a aluminum block.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Dude $50.00 for a recal????! I paid $20 for my Torque Wrench!!! Maybe I'm cheaping out on my parts.........

white
    83 mustang coupe

My torque wrench cost 174 dollars on sale.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Dude $50.00 for a recal????! I paid $20 for my Torque Wrench!!! Maybe I'm cheaping out on my parts.........
    get rid of that wrench before it really costs you......years ago I tried the cheap route. Not a good idea. As a matter of fact I use it as a breaker bar now....it's completely locked up. Buy a good name wrench if you're planning on working on internal stuff. You strip a shock bolt and it's no big deal....you strip a rod bolt or head bolt and it sucks considerably more.

white
    83 mustang coupe

A torque wrench is another 1 of those things you get what you pay for.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    get rid of that wrench before it really costs you......years ago I tried the cheap route. Not a good idea. As a matter of fact I use it as a breaker bar now....it's completely locked up. Buy a good name wrench if you're planning on working on internal stuff. You strip a shock bolt and it's no big deal....you strip a rod bolt or head bolt and it sucks considerably more.
    Good point Orion!! I was wondering when I'd hear from you. You know I count on you for the most intelligent advice!!! Yeah, I realize I'm going to need to break down and purchase a high quality Torque Wrench now.

A stripped head bolt would be a nightmare!!!!!!!

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by crossbredfoxbody View Post
    A torque wrench is another 1 of those things you get what you pay for.
    Yeah, I figured this out the hard way man!!! I got REAL lucky I didn't end up stripping my rod bolts! Stupid torque wrench.........

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Hey Orion quick off the topic question: How much slack should be in my throttle cable once I re-install it?????? When I engage it by pulling the throttle back, there is definite slack.....Is the cable suppose to have slack once you fully engage the throttle???? Thanks.

white
    83 mustang coupe

Spend at least 100.00 man IMOA sears would work!!

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by crossbredfoxbody View Post
    Spend at least 100.00 man IMOA sears would work!!
    Yeah good call crossbredfoxbody......Sears should have a high quality torque wrench.........

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Hey Orion quick off the topic question: How much slack should be in my throttle cable once I re-install it?????? When I engage it by pulling the throttle back, there is definite slack.....Is the cable suppose to have slack once you fully engage the throttle???? Thanks.
    you want that cable tight but not so tight it won't let the throttle blade close all the way. I'm not quite sure what you mean by slack once it's fully engaged......sounds like it may be too loose.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information