white
    2000 transam ram air WS6

road noise coming from the rear

i have a 2000 ws6 and i hear alot of road noise coming from the
    rear . i am running stock rims 275-40-17 i believe has anyone else the same problem ?? it's inoying if youre driving on the free way and try to talk to somebody..

my moms camaro i don't hear nothing and that's a conv

thankss for the replys

Collector Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am CE

I've never noticed a road noise. If you have low tread, road noise can come from that. You might also want to have your rear end looked at.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Check your rear end....I had the same problem

Drivin It Like I Stole It JWSmythe's Avatar

Pewter
    '00 TransAm WS/6

Tires?

Your tires can make a big difference in the road noise.

I'm rolling up on 80,000 miles on my '00 WS/6. The stock tires sucked for traction, but they were quite. I was in Florida, and when I test drove it (in the rain), I couldn't even make it roll without spinning the tires.

I've had tires that were better or worse for noise. Frequently, but not always, there's more noise with better traction.

Check the reviews at TireRack, and see what other people say. Remember though, some people are complete idiots, and some of us have lots of experience. If everyone says they're noisy tires, then that's likely your problem.

It also depends on the road. I got a 34mph over ticket a few weeks ago, so I've been setting my cruise to exactly the speed limit. Where I got the ticket it's almost dangerous. Traffic is doing 80, the speed limit is 40. Areas where I can do 65, it's fine, and I can hear my phone ring. On another road, I can't hear my phone ring, and if I'm listening to the radio, I have to turn it way up to make it sound normal.

There are a few other things you can look for. Someone else mentioned a problem in the rear end, which is perfectly possible. If the pinion nut has come loose a little, you're low on fluid, or something is worn, it can make noise.

Maybe some trim isn't on quite right, or it's something new that you've noticed. It wasn't until I drove from Tampa to Los Angeles that I started seriously analyzing all the noises. I forgot to bring CD's with me, and for a lot of I-10 you won't get any radio stations. (I got a Sirius radio since then, and have been very happy).

At one point in Texas, cruising at about 85, I was questioning if some of the noise was road noise or engine noise, so I stepped on the clutch, and let the engine idle down. Nope, noise was still there. So I dropped it in neutral, and shut off the engine (left the steering unlocked, of course). Nope, noise was still there. Then I did the simple test. I moved my head around, and blocked noises with my hand. There's a little wind noise at 85mph from the top front corner of the drivers window. It's not a leak, you can just hear the air wooshing by the edge of the T-top, if you listen very carefully. I cracked my window, and put my finger there, and the wooshing noise stopped.

Ya, 2500 miles in 2.5 days with no good radio reception, no CD's, and no good cell service leaves you to entertaining yourself in all kinds of weird ways.

I don't think that wind noise is a problem, just a quirk. With 80,000 miles on this one, and just about as many on my '98 T/A, it's never bothered me enough to figure out if I should try to fix it or not. I can't notice unless I'm really paying attention for odd noises.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

sure it's not the rearend?

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

+1 for the tire theory... (its the optimistic outlook )

could be the rear... inspect it.

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

If it's just tire noise, line the interior wheelwells with sound deadener.

I took the carpet bomb approach and lined the wheelwells and basically everything behind the seats.

Much quieter ride. Purely illusion, but the car feels more solid.

Between SFCs and deadening, I rarely hear a squeak anymore.

To do it on the cheap, use the Frost King adhesive duct insulation at Lowes.

You could do both wheelwells only for around $15.

black 01 red 73
    01 z28 and 73 z28

I'm impartial to the rear preparing to grenade itself . cut the wheel all the way to the left and put the car in reverse and do some slow circles and what do you feel

Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6 Ram Air

if its a roaring sound it could be your bearings...mine are but i am at 103k

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Camaro SS

I had worn down axles and bearings that made a swooshing sounds, it was a $1800 not a fun to pay for fix...then metal shavings got into my diff making it squeel around corners, after about 5 or so flushes on the rear end it finally went away. Hopefully it is not the above problem...it sucks.

white
    2000 transam ram air WS6

i only have 38000 miles on it .. and i am gonna put new tires on pretty soon ..
    i will get my axel checked or maybe the sound was already there but i didn't hear it before . and i also try'd turning my engine of while driving and kick'd in the clutch and the sound still continiue's

thanks for al the replys greetings barryz

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Camaro SS

shouldnt be having that prob at 38k miles, my 98 has 94k miles and it wasnt untill 90k is when my prob occured. Good luck and definitly get it checked.

Black
    00 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by barryz View Post
    i only have 38000 miles on it .. and i am gonna put new tires on pretty soon ..
    i will get my axel checked or maybe the sound was already there but i didn't hear it before . and i also try'd turning my engine of while driving and kick'd in the clutch and the sound still continiue's

thanks for al the replys greetings barryz

When I bought my 00 WS6 in 11/07 I got new tires, checked the axels, and brakes because of all the road noise I had.....it ended up being a carrier bearing. My car has only 45k on it.

Thread Information