Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ridiculous Rotor Warping Problems

This is a discussion on Ridiculous Rotor Warping Problems within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Alignment has nothing to do with steering wheel shake while braking. Common mistake. However loose front -end parts can-having your ...

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Alignment has nothing to do with steering wheel shake while braking. Common mistake. However loose front -end parts can-having your front-end checked by a competent alignment shop may help. Or you're new rotors may have already warped. Checking for run-out on the rotors would of course answer this question, but having someone knowledgeable do this would be the key.

black
    97 ss

over torque the lug nuts will cause this problem also.use a torque stick on ur impact

Ross

Black
    2001 Camaro z28

alright, yeah im gonna torque them tommrow, thanks for the help cause im a complete noob when it comes to brakes. i really hope my rotors havnt warped after 9 months or 12,000 miles.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I got the original stock rotors on mine. I always torque the lug nuts to 100ft lbs and never had a problem.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

While that is a good idea-it can still happen. I'm the only one who removes my wheels, I'm a journeyman auto mechanic, and I always used a torque stick or torque wrench. My 98 warped them silly (around 28,000 miles)from a really hard stop from 70 mph and then it stood at a standstill for a couple minutes. My 02 has 36,000 miles-no warp-but never had to do the torture test stop. I think it boils down to how hard are you on the brakes will determine the problems you have.

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

I had problems with the rotors warping on my 99 WS.6. Changed them out with a set of new rotors from autozone and never had a problem. The stock rotors are garbage. The ones from autozone also had a lifetime warranty so if they did warp they would just give you another set.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Read the Autozone guarantee closely. You are warranteed against manufactured defects, the spell out the fact that they are not going to hand out new parts for ones that you wore out or abused.

silver
    2002 Z28 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Maybe not in this particular case but.............
    I hear guys say they have warped rotors...the steering wheel shakes all to shit when braking....often times (not always but often times) it is brake dust built up that is causing the problem.....I highly recommend 3-4 70mph to 0 hard braking experiences to clean the shit off the pads and rotors....this exercise fixes many many of the "warped rotors"....
    Do this in a remote area or when a Rolls Royce is tailgating you on the freeway only!
    I thought my rotors were warped after about 20k easy street driving and it really pissed me off.

I then ran the car hard a dozen laps at New Hampshire International Speedway. The brakes were perfect after that. I have more than a dozen track days on my car.

I have had good luck with the Napa rotors make in Canada, not China. I will actually get spider cracks in them due to heat and need to replace them because of that but not warping.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Of course a simple dial indicator check would solve that mystery.

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

I have never had a problem returning anything to autozone. At least at my local one I know if I bring back a part I will walk out with a new one. Doesn't really matter though because their rotors don't warp like the stock ones.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by yellowv View Post
    I have never had a problem returning anything to autozone. At least at my local one I know if I bring back a part I will walk out with a new one. Doesn't really matter though because their rotors don't warp like the stock ones.
    Yah! AutoZone is awesome with their warranty's. I had problems with an Opti-Spark that I bought so they gave me another one and let me keep the original one they gave me!

Black
    2002 WS6

If you stop using the brakes they won't warp.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Yah! AutoZone is awesome with their warranty's. I had problems with an Opti-Spark that I bought so they gave me another one and let me keep the original one they gave me!
    That's great-how long was the part on? That at least used to be the problem with Autozone parts-they would warranty the stuff-but how many times did you have to go back? My experience has been that they are the friendliest and least knowledgeable people in the auto parts store world (for the most part). They have had to switch alot of their suppliers over the years and as a result they have been able to increase the quality of their parts.
    I don't know if they still have the same warranty they used to-but I have a warranty attached to a starter receipt from a few years ago for a "lifetime warranty" starter. It clearly states that they will replace the part for 90 days free due to manufacturers defect. After that you get one free replacement during the warranty period (if it is a lifetime warranty part then that would be the warranty period) due to defect or simply wears out. (the starter I bought in this example sounded and looked like a spraycan rebuild-they gave me another one 3 days later that looked and sounded like a new one -it's been working well on a seldom used but hard driven vehicle for 13 years)
    That's still a pretty good warranty-but it's not an unlimited warranty-and there are other limits on it too. Just wanted to point that out. If Autozone is good for you then go to them. But they don't carry everything or have the knowledge and experience for every situation I encounter and so I need other parts stores. I do use Autozone because I have one less than a mile from my house-but there is also a NAPA. I'm glad I have choices.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1 View Post
    That's great-how long was the part on? That at least used to be the problem with Autozone parts-they would warranty the stuff-but how many times did you have to go back? My experience has been that they are the friendliest and least knowledgeable people in the auto parts store world (for the most part). They have had to switch alot of their suppliers over the years and as a result they have been able to increase the quality of their parts.
    I don't know if they still have the same warranty they used to-but I have a warranty attached to a starter receipt from a few years ago for a "lifetime warranty" starter. It clearly states that they will replace the part for 90 days free due to manufacturers defect. After that you get one free replacement during the warranty period (if it is a lifetime warranty part then that would be the warranty period) due to defect or simply wears out. (the starter I bought in this example sounded and looked like a spraycan rebuild-they gave me another one 3 days later that looked and sounded like a new one -it's been working well on a seldom used but hard driven vehicle for 13 years)
    That's still a pretty good warranty-but it's not an unlimited warranty-and there are other limits on it too. Just wanted to point that out. If Autozone is good for you then go to them. But they don't carry everything or have the knowledge and experience for every situation I encounter and so I need other parts stores. I do use Autozone because I have one less than a mile from my house-but there is also a NAPA. I'm glad I have choices.
    They replaced it after almost 6 months. Good info. Very informative.

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

I will agree that they are definately friendly and not knowledgable. I have watched their knowledge steadily decline over the years. Actually one of my very knowledgable buddies from school used to be a manager there back in the day. Since he left it has been dumb ass after dumb ass. Luckily I don't have to ask them anything. I just buy my parts and leave. They do stand behind their stuff though.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Yeah-it's a byproduct of their low prices=low pay. Less and less people see the counterman as a viable career because of this. I get to deal with jobber parts guys on the phone at work that are friendly and knowledgeable. They don't deal with the general public however. I believe though that Autozone as a rule will bend over backwards to try to keep their customers happy-but don't necessarily trust their knowledge and experience. Incidentally they have access to alot of aftermarket stuff-but they may not realize it. Ask to see their catalogs to order stuff you don't see in the store-and look through them yourself -at least they have let me do that.

Red
    '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    dont forget to clean the hub that the rotor mounts to. also dont overtighten your lugnuts. that alone can warp the rotors. use a torque wrench.
    I have to agree with this statement, it is very important not to overtorque the lugs. Also, the vibration from using an air impact wrench on the lugs can damage some ABS sensors.
    current cars:
    '02 WS6
    '71 Cutlass SX/455
    Bike:
    YZ 450F
    previous cars
    another '71 Cutlass SX (sold it in '81)
    '69 Camaro cp (sold it in '83)
    '93 Z28 ("" '99)
    '84 Z28 turned into IROC clone ("" '01)

BLACK
    2002, CAMARO Z28

My stock rotors warped twice in just 6k miles and the same with Autozone's. I got some Powerslot slotted, dimpled rotors with Hawl pads about 25k miles ago and 0 warpage.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information