Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Richmond vs Motive 4;10 gears

Hey guys, just wanted some input on a rear end purchase...I'm getting a set of 4:10 gears for my 2001 WS6, M6. Any thoughts on either Richmond or Motive? Same price. Also whats the deal with 2 or 3 series carriers? Anybody know what I need?
    Last edited by JayL; 03-06-2013 at 01:06 PM.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

I've heard that Richmonds are more noisy and Motives are better. It also depends on the install job I now have Yukon gears in mine but I did have Motives before and it wasn't bad.

For the life of me I can't remember if its 2 or 3 but I think its 3, dont quote me though. I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Thanks man, growing up we always used Richmond...it was like the cool thing!!! But I have heard Motive was the best at this price range.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

I went with a set of "Timken" gears (3.73:1), and had them "Cryod" for added strength.

SteveC

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Richmond and Motive are owned by the same ppl.

I went with Yukon gears for my 8.8 Project. Best deal and product for the money.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by JayL View Post
    Hey guys, just wanted some input on a rear end purchase...I'm getting a set of 4:10 gears for my 2001 WS6, M6. Any thoughts on either Richmond or Motive? Same price. Also whats the deal with 2 or 3 series carriers? Anybody know what I need?
    I hope you don't plan on putting those gears in the stock 10 bolt housing. If you do I would be very careful driving with them and forget about racing with sticky tires. Your best bet is the Motive gears but Richmond is just as good. I'm not sure about the noise factor but 4.10's will always make noise. Do the job right and get a 9", 12 bolt or S60 and have fun.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

I've installed plenty of noise free 4.10s. Its all in your skill in setting up a rear. Richmonds just need things a lil more perfect than others may need since they're teeth are cut straighter.
    Personally if this is going in the stock 10 bolt I'd go with a 2 seiries Auburn diff and gears with a girdle cover to let it have a chance at survival

Richmond is the superior gear as far as strength is concerned. Motive is a lesser gear however they tend to run quieter as a result. Softer metal compounds and heat treating processes tend to help them run quieter but there is also a drawback. I'm told by others in the business that both Motive and Yukon also don't have the life expectancy of other superior made gear sets like Richmond, US Gear, etc...

However I've never run Motive or Yukon for any length of time to know personally, we are talking 10's of thousands of miles.

I've set them all up for myself and others and all are noise free. My personal preference in my own cars are Richmond, US Gear. I'll take the added strength any day of the week and twice on sunday.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

FBJ,

When I was shopping for my gears I had a lot of input form the off road guys. Everyone of them swears by Yukon's. I figure if it can handle the stress from rock climbing and trail runs it could hold up well for my plans.

Once I get that project finish I'll report back on how well the behave.

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    FBJ,

When I was shopping for my gears I had a lot of input form the off road guys. Everyone of them swears by Yukon's. I figure if it can handle the stress from rock climbing and trail runs it could hold up well for my plans.

Once I get that project finish I'll report back on how well the behave.
    The problem with input from the offroad guys is that they don't put alot of miles on their rigs. From what I gather from guys that have been doing it alot longer than I have, is that they don't get the mileage out of Yukon or Motive and show premature wear along with noise after so many thousands of miles. I've heard about it more with Yukon than with Motive.
    Keep in mind Yukon stuff is made in china, and that alone makes me wonder about quality control, tolerances used and how much fudge factor they allow, the metal used, etc....

Personally I've never used it on my own stuff, but have occasionally with a customer that requests it, and that's usually because they want to save a few bucks initally. Thankfully it's always been on a classic car that rarely sees much street use anyway so the miles are kept low, I doubt I'll see premature wear issues with customers like that either.

Thread Information