revs(idles)high after highway

This is a discussion on revs(idles)high after highway within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; i have a 01 ss m6..when i take out on the highway and im goin around 90mph(fast) and i come ...

black
    2000 ss

revs(idles)high after highway

i have a 01 ss m6..when i take out on the highway and im goin around 90mph(fast) and i come back into town when i drop it in nuetral the cars revs stay at like 3000rpms???when its in nuetral and they slowly come down as the car slows down.. even though its in no gear????is it a bad clutch i cant figure it out

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Sounds like a clutch problem, maybe your clutch is not releasing fully,or is adjusted too tight ,or slipping and heating up, or ........?

black
    2000 ss

thats what i was thinkin.. so most likely its a clutch issue

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Yes, do you have trouble getting it into gear also? Shifting it when it stays revved up? Of course this would be bad for the transmission. Need to check if the clutch master cylinder is leaking or low on fluid.

black
    2000 ss

well it cant be a clutch issue because when i turn off the car while its doing it and restart it even if i start her up rite away she runs fine...i do have a cutout and it started to do it after i got it..but im not sure if its that?

black
    2000 ss

bump

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Perhaps a vacuum leak?? That would cause it to idle high like that, check to see if any hoses came off in the engine bay.

black
    2000 ss

hmm no all the lines seem to be in place...could it be the alternator or maybe something connected to the belt? but this only happens after highway driving..im lost

Beast
    I drive 45 miles on I-20 twice a day with the cruise set to 80mph and about every other day my car does the same thing once I get back into town. I'll jump off the highway and sit at red lights idling at ~2500 rpm. It's been doing it for about a year.

I replaced the master/slave cylinder, clutch/pressure plate... so that's not it.

Let me know if you figure it out!

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Beast
    I drive 45 miles on I-20 twice a day with the cruise set to 80mph and about every other day my car does the same thing once I get back into town. I'll jump off the highway and sit at red lights idling at ~2500 rpm. It's been doing it for about a year.

I replaced the master/slave cylinder, clutch/pressure plate... so that's not it.

Let me know if you figure it out!
    Something with the cruise control perhaps??

Does it only do it when you use the cruise??

black
    2000 ss

no i dont even use the cruise..so i dont know what it could be..the car goes through gears just fine..i got off the highway today and it was normal but then i downshifted cus some guy in a van was floorin his so i thought he wanted me to so i did...and well the problem came backk.maybe the clutch isnt disengaging <-- srry

Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman
    Something with the cruise control perhaps??

Does it only do it when you use the cruise??
    I don't know... I'll try driving without the cruise today and see if that changes anything. I hadn't thought of that relationship.

**JattGunMan, I'm not trying to hi-jack the thread or anything. I just thought I would throw my car into this since I have the same problem.

Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

Might want to check if your throttle is sticking. Sometimes if the TB gets all dirty it can stick.

Camaro

Idle air control valve. Clean it or replace it.

Thread Information