Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 115

RevMax torque converter?

This is a discussion on RevMax torque converter? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Sarge DirtyDog is the man when it comes to converters. Regardless of what brand we are talking ...

  1. #21
    Member Leeroyws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    fort worth
    Posts
    151

    black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    DirtyDog is the man when it comes to converters. Regardless of what brand we are talking about this is good advise before making any purchase IMHO.
    yeah all that is very important.revmax discloses all specs on their page.actually furnace brazed is not as strong as tig welded.

  2. #22
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Good for them.

  3. #23
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Quote Originally Posted by Leeroyws6 View Post
    yeah all that is very important.revmax discloses all specs on their page.actually furnace brazed is not as strong as tig welded.
    Did some checking...I thought I was right but wanted to verify.
    You dont want TIG welded as you require strength and flexibility. Furnace brazing provides this. TIG would make it brittle. Strong yes....but no flex. Some TIG weld because it is cheaper to do so versus Furnace brazing.

    YANK=3 Year Warranty
    RevMax= 1 Year warranty

    Your thoughts?
    Last edited by Sarge; 12-23-2010 at 05:29 AM.

  4. #24
    Member Leeroyws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    fort worth
    Posts
    151

    black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

    i thought i read somewhere tig welded was stronger.anyway,like i said earlier.i would love to be able to compare this revmax to different big name companies just to see what the difference is in the drivers seat,but i dont have any experience with any other torque convertors.all i know is im happy with mine.my car has a huge cam in it and it works well with cam.i would recommend them based on my personal experience and since no one else seems to be running them besides squirrelnutz,others can only speculate on the posts and their speculations are presumptious since they dont have one bolted to their flexplate like i do.

  5. #25
    Senior Member JoshuaGrooms83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    1,539

    Red
    98 Trans Am

    WEll im gonna take the dive. I went against main steam once with headers and it worked out great. Have OBX SS LTH's from ebay. THey are still running stong and look great.
    As for the TC, revmax seems like they know what their doing if the desiel guys like em. The desil TC's come with triple clutch plates form what i read.
    Ill take the plung and let ya'll know.

  6. #26
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Quote Originally Posted by Leeroyws6 View Post
    i thought i read somewhere tig welded was stronger.anyway,like i said earlier.i would love to be able to compare this revmax to different big name companies just to see what the difference is in the drivers seat,but i dont have any experience with any other torque convertors.all i know is im happy with mine.my car has a huge cam in it and it works well with cam.i would recommend them based on my personal experience and since no one else seems to be running them besides squirrelnutz,others can only speculate on the posts and their speculations are presumptious since they dont have one bolted to their flexplate like i do.
    No...I think folks will research and base decisions on much more that just a pricing point. If that is all that was used to base a decision on then WalMart SuperTech Oil would outsell Mobil1 and Pennzoil Platinum combined

  7. #27
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    WEll im gonna take the dive. I went against main steam once with headers and it worked out great. Have OBX SS LTH's from ebay. THey are still running stong and look great.
    As for the TC, revmax seems like they know what their doing if the desiel guys like em. The desil TC's come with triple clutch plates form what i read.
    Ill take the plung and let ya'll know.
    You know...people keep saying the diesel guys like 'em....Google RevMax and all I can find (mostly) is a bunch of people asking if anybody has ever heard of them. Even on this most popular diesel forums.......I dunno....

    Now I find a boatload of guys saying "The Diesel guys like 'em"...but hardly any post from diesel guys actually using them.

    Once again....I have no dog in this hunt.....guys car is his own domain.....but sure is a lot of post concerning how cheaply made these are....and I know what a trannie cost......

  8. #28
    Member Leeroyws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    fort worth
    Posts
    151

    black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    WEll im gonna take the dive. I went against main steam once with headers and it worked out great. Have OBX SS LTH's from ebay. THey are still running stong and look great.
    As for the TC, revmax seems like they know what their doing if the desiel guys like em. The desil TC's come with triple clutch plates form what i read.
    Ill take the plung and let ya'll know.
    Dude.im telling you from personal experience.not some hear-say or research ive done.I GOT ONE IN MY CAR.and it works great.i think you will be happy with it.anti balloon is not necessary unless u spray.and as for the price..i explained it earlier.the only reason the other guys are so expensive is because they are using a billett back.vigilante wont sell theirs without a billett back.you can get one with a billett back from revmax and spend the extra $300 if that makes you feel better.but its not necessary imo unless you're popping wheelies.

  9. #29
    Member Leeroyws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    fort worth
    Posts
    151

    black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    No...I think folks will research and base decisions on much more that just a pricing point. If that is all that was used to base a decision on then WalMart SuperTech Oil would outsell Mobil1 and Pennzoil Platinum combined
    i see your point.in some cases...expensive means better.yuo can get a revmax with a billett back and spend the extra $300 or so to make the total price of the convertor $700 just like vigilante or yank.to some,it might make them sleep better at night.to some,they might actually need it in an all out track car pushing 700hp.but at revmax you can get the same convertor WITHOUT A BILLETT COVER and the price is cheaper because they weld and adapter ring to the 9.5 inch convertors with makes them cheaper in price.doesnt necessarily make them inferior unless you're popping wheelies.im just saying,dude.the billett back adds alot to the price of a covertor and some companies offer em without the billett back and some companies do not.the ones that do not will consistantly sell them for $700+ and rightfully so.but if you dont want or need the billett back,then the convertor will be cheaper.im just a street car and go to the track maybe 2 times a year.so for me i didnt need the "stage 5" or whatever it is that has the billett.in some cases..expensive is better... in some cases expensive is not necessary.

  10. #30
    Senior Member JoshuaGrooms83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    1,539

    Red
    98 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    You know...people keep saying the diesel guys like 'em....Google RevMax and all I can find (mostly) is a bunch of people asking if anybody has ever heard of them. Even on this most popular diesel forums.......I dunno....

    Now I find a boatload of guys saying "The Diesel guys like 'em"...but hardly any post from diesel guys actually using them.

    Once again....I have no dog in this hunt.....guys car is his own domain.....but sure is a lot of post concerning how cheaply made these are....and I know what a trannie cost......
    Well, a few LS1 guys on this forum have tried them and so far no problems. DOnt know how hard they run their cars and dont know their full setup but im sure they get on their cars every so often as any true redblooded american with a V8 at their disposal would.
    Havnt heard a fail story yet on revmax converters. That one thread that was saying how "cheap" TCs are made by using 4 cyclinder TC's and retro fitting them into 8cyl TCs seemed like it was talking about TCI TCs and then hocking some other brand of TCs. But never mentioned anything about revmax itself. I guess it breaks doen to what ever setup your looking to do. Kinda like putting a head and cam system together or a tune and a turbo. You gotta use whats gonna hold up to your particular set up. IF your doing a 800+ APS Twin Turbo setup with a fully built motor with 15+ boost, a built tranny, steel Drive shaft, and a Moser rearend.... then yeah... a cheap convert PROBABLY doesnt belong in the middle of all that. but a mild street car with 400hp thats DDed and wees more time at a place of emplyments parking lot then a racetrack... a revmax might be right at home.

  11. #31
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Quote Originally Posted by Leeroyws6 View Post
    i see your point.in some cases...expensive means better.yuo can get a revmax with a billett back and spend the extra $300 or so to make the total price of the convertor $700 just like vigilante or yank.to some,it might make them sleep better at night.to some,they might actually need it in an all out track car pushing 700hp.but at revmax you can get the same convertor WITHOUT A BILLETT COVER and the price is cheaper because they weld and adapter ring to the 9.5 inch convertors with makes them cheaper in price.doesnt necessarily make them inferior unless you're popping wheelies.im just saying,dude.the billett back adds alot to the price of a covertor and some companies offer em without the billett back and some companies do not.the ones that do not will consistantly sell them for $700+ and rightfully so.but if you dont want or need the billett back,then the convertor will be cheaper.im just a street car and go to the track maybe 2 times a year.so for me i didnt need the "stage 5" or whatever it is that has the billett.in some cases..expensive is better... in some cases expensive is not necessary.
    I hear you ...and understand you have convinced yourself your logic is sound. Go cheap if you don't need quality.
    I have seen many replacing much more expensive parts because they went cheap on a minor part. Cheap rods/bolts/valve springs. Whatever......like I said...I am only raising the question(s) about the quality of this converter. Crappy warranty. A BIG unknown track record.

    But you want one by all means go happy and in peace. I hope it works out for you. I really do.

  12. #32
    Moderator Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    6,997

    1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

    Even if you don't know much about TCs you can compare the pictures of a high end TC and Revmax and tell which one is built nicer. Even some of the "upgrade" revmax parts look crappy. Comparing the $700 Revmax to the $700 Yank/vigante...you're gonna wanna send your money on the Yank/Vigante

  13. #33
    Moderator Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    6,997

    1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

    Think of it this way:
    Craftsman tools are good enough, Snap-on tools are really nice.
    Revmax might be good enough, Yank is really nice.

  14. #34
    Senior Member JoshuaGrooms83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    1,539

    Red
    98 Trans Am

    well heres the thing, have you used one? have you tested it and seen what its limitations are? Yes the yank and Vig's are the best... but has anyone even tried the revmax TC that say "their cheap, they arnt built right, blah, blah blah...."
    yes , about 2 or 3 on this forum have and had a positive experience. Now i would welcome some horror storys on revmax as well to see what happened. Im not a sales men, im a realist that whats unbiased anwsers. If you have a positive OR a Negative on revmax converters tell us. Lets get some REAL facts on the subject.
    Oh and comparing Snapon to craftsmen doest really prove the point. Ive exploded 3/4" drive snapon sockets working on army equipment and then a craftsmen one in its place got the job done. Matter of fact, the socket AND the T-slide both broke. Funny thing about snapon.... they still break... and im sure in some extreme applications even the all mighty Yank probably has failed at one point.

  15. #35
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    I doubt many have spent their money on cheap parts to test.
    Seems these RevMax converters have not been out long enough for anybody to test them much and across a wide variety of cars.

    RevMax proudly proclaims they are the #1 site on the web for performance torque converters.
    Alexa tells us that is far from the truth.
    RevMax.com is ranked Alexa Traffic Rank: 13,060,509
    B&M website is ranked Alexa Traffic Rank: 1,226,509

    Why does RevMax feel it necessary to flat out lie like this? When one lie is told many usually follow.

    I cannot find their contact info....as in address....... anywhere on their website. Why is that?

    Their website was created February 2010 and they only paid for a one year license.
    Domain Name: REVMAXCONVERTERS.COM
    Registrar: GODADDY.COM, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
    Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com
    Name Server: NS1131.WEBSITEWELCOME.COM
    Name Server: NS1132.WEBSITEWELCOME.COM
    Status: clientDeleteProhibited
    Status: clientRenewProhibited
    Status: clientTransferProhibited
    Status: clientUpdateProhibited
    Updated Date: 28-mar-2010
    Creation Date: 24-feb-2010
    Expiration Date: 24-feb-2011

    They mainly sell on EBay.

    Not getting any warm and fuzzies here friend.

    So I took a look at their toll free number....1.877.780.4334 and found it is pointed to a cell phone number outside of Scottsdale Arizona of 623 780 1000. A cell phone?

    I checked on the Sec of State WebSite and found no corporations filed in Arizona under the name RevMax or any variation. I can incorporate RevMax right now and own that Corporate name myself today in Arizona......their home state? How is that possible?

    I am starting to see a ugly picture here.
    Last edited by Sarge; 12-24-2010 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Cannot spell for shit this morning :)

  16. #36
    Senior Member JoshuaGrooms83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    1,539

    Red
    98 Trans Am

    so what we are getting at is that they are a not well known company. A small buisness that might be operating in or near the home using ebay as a store front. Its someone just trying to get into the buisness obviously. as for the #1 thing... how many companys use over the top advertisments to try and get your attention to buy a product... damn near all of them. Im not trying to discredit the known brands or talk up the unknown. The problem is we have alot of hear say and no info from the source or not enough people that have tryed it to provide a wide range of facts.

  17. #37
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Small start ups do not flat out lie on their website to polish the pig.

    Reputable companies follow standard business practices.

    Facts? I posted the facts......

    Have no axe to grind but wanted members here to see the facts on who is selling these rebuilt/repainted converters. Reach your own conclusion.

    Do what you want friend. I would not touch this company with a 20' pole. I can go to the junk yard and pull a converter...paint it....make a few simple modifications to it...and voila....I got the same thing they are selling and do not have more than a $100 bucks in it. I sell it to you for $300. Not a bad day at the office. Will it work. Of course it will work. It is still a factory converter....doing what it was built to do.

    Is it high performance? Nope. Just a rebuilt/painted stock converter....with some bullshit marketing crap written in generic language.

    RevMax is not the first one to do this.

    Had many before them. The internet just makes it easier.
    How do they sale so cheap?
    "We cut out the middle man.....blah blah"
    Nope...truth is no reputable distributor will touch these guys. It is old as rain.

  18. #38
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Couple of my favorites....
    It takes just one look at our industry leading torque converter rebuilding process to see why!
    Click the link...of course....404 Error

    Click on Blog ( Blog allows customers to communicate).....click on it and you get..."your cart is empty".....that's it.

    Find their address.

    Come on man......this is shady as hell................

  19. #39
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    I'll make this easy. I have many friends in the hobby in and around Phoenix.
    Invite the owners of RevMax here. Lets get their address and we can go visit and see all this high tech operation they brag about on their website.
    Reputable company would welcome a visit like this......if they were legitimate.

  20. #40
    Member Leeroyws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    fort worth
    Posts
    151

    black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

    like i said earlier.this whole thread is based on speculation.i got one bolted to my flywheel right fuckin now. and it works great.i cant find one thing to complain about.im sure as hell not going to complain about their website not getting enough hits,or where their phone number is registerd to.thats silly and ridiculous because this company always answers their phone and they dont give anyone any reason to doubt them other than they arent as big as other companies.if they do shady business,or dont honor their warranty,then yes,lets dig up some dirt on these guys,but i have hfound no reason too.and i dont think anyone else has either.

    Sarge,you're starting to reach for straws when it comes to trying to debunk this company and their product.

    and as for the craftsman-snap-on analogy, craftsman is just as good if not better.snap on used to be better but they truly suck nowdays.overpriced-no one will argue with me on that.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question: torque converter
    By tangkiller_z28 in forum Automatic Transmission
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-11-2011, 02:38 PM
  2. Best Torque Converter
    By rockyiv806 in forum Automatic Transmission
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-09-2009, 01:14 PM
  3. Best Torque Converter?
    By Rich L in forum Automatic Transmission
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-20-2008, 04:26 AM
  4. torque converter??????
    By bigbucks39 in forum Automatic Transmission
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-08-2008, 12:25 PM
  5. Which torque converter?
    By MarkuzLS1 in forum Automatic Transmission
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 09-07-2006, 05:29 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •