Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Results and proof to end the arguement.

I went to the drag strip today and ran my car. I have a SLP lid, drop in K&N filter and Headers + X pipe. It was pretty hot today and two of my runs were during the day, one of them being at night (it had dropped maybe 5 degrees) My fastest time if the night came when i changed over from the K&N drop in to a normal Fram air filter. The car made the pass .3 faster then my previous pass. Didnt do anything different and its a automatic so its not like i missed a shift.

I know this question gets asked alot as to weather or not the K&N is worth it, to those people i still say yes, but not for the intention its ment. Id buy a Fram and keep it clean somewhere or some other paper filter of your choice and run the K&N as your day to day driver filter. It cleans out, you dont really ever have to replace it and for the couple of days its drying from being cleaned you can put the cheap paper filter in. I know its only 8 bucks to buy another paper filter but isnt it better to not have to spend it in the first place?

All in all its made me a believer as to the K&N not being good for gains, if anything performance wise. Ill post my time slips later in this thread.

Just thought id do a general service announcement.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

just out of curiosity...what were the 60's like between the runs and was the K&N also new or recently cleaned? I ask because .3 is a lot.....I've ran with no filter and not picked up that much.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

K&N is garbage and i have always preached it... Cheapo Fram filter for all my cars and trucks.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

sebring silver
    2000 z28

You can easily over oil a K&N and make it a restriction.

A K&N is NOT a good day to day filter, it always lets dirt through the motor, even when oiled properly.

I had an R6 come in my shop and it was pig rich, wouldn't rev past 6K. I cleaned(not really dirty) and just re-oiled the filter, ran 10 times better.

Also all bikes that I see with K&N filter usually need valve adj. early as the dirt chews then up quicker.

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Didnt over oil, used very little actually and cleaned it before the trip down there. Ill have pictures of them in a little while, been really busy and havent had time. I think its mostly because my lid sealed better???????? with the fram then it does with the K&N. Not 100% on that though.

Run with K&N filter

Run with Fram filter
    Last edited by 95camaroZNC; 07-25-2010 at 08:46 PM.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

very interesting.i have a k&n factory style filer in my monte carlo supercharged ss and when i put my hand by the factory air box and rev the engine i can feel it sucking in air,never felt that with the stock paper air filter. but as they say numbers do not lie.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you did trap better...no 1/8th mile times for the first run but the .2 better 60' is all the difference.

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Still not bad, i had cleaned my filter and bought the fram to replace it, i thought why not take it to the track and test it since all these people always ask if they should get a K&N. So i cleaned mine and oiled it and ran it the first run and the next run swapped in the other filter. Only thing i did different.

My times were supposed to be better though, around 12.7-12.9. Car is still untuned on the headers and the X pipe and everyone was running crappy times since it was quite hot outside.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

That is good info. Kn is crap and there is much better out there i just run a gm filter. Also you say that its 8 dollars to go buy a new filter but why spend it each time when you can just clean the kn, but you have to buy the kn cleaning kits which are what like 15? O well just personal preference i suppose. I just know i will never run kn in any of my cars like i used too

RED
    2001 CAMARO ss

you really can say it was the filter that made the diffrence. you could of had little wheel spin, etc with the k/n and not with the the fram.
    many companies are using same oil fill type filter and have proof of performance increase hp/tq wise. just because we install a after market filter we can not expect to break records.

i would say make a least 3 passes with each filter and get an average then compare. same rpm at start with both filters.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I'd have to almost agree with OP here. A few years ago I had similar results, but instead of a gain I had no statistical difference, on 6 runs, 2 each with a clean K&N, new paper filter, or no filter.

There is undoubtably some applications where a K&N is superior to stock, but I don't think so for LS1 F-bodies.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by SPDYGON View Post
    you really can say it was the filter that made the diffrence. you could of had little wheel spin, etc with the k/n and not with the the fram.
    many companies are using same oil fill type filter and have proof of performance increase hp/tq wise. just because we install a after market filter we can not expect to break records.

i would say make a least 3 passes with each filter and get an average then compare. same rpm at start with both filters.
    I agree. OP its gonna take more then 2 runs to prove a difference.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    you did trap better...no 1/8th mile times for the first run but the .2 better 60' is all the difference.
    Agreed.

2000 Camaro B4C

next i wanna see lid vs cai

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Looking at the time slips, you were sure intimidating those slow cars, both of them redlighted trying to show how cool they are against an F-body, and one redlighted pretty badly.

Black
    2002 TA WS6 M6

I originally had just the slp lid on my car. I had my SLP CAI (came off my old TA before I sold it) laying around, so I decided to put it on the WS6. I seen no improvement over what the lid was already doing. Literally no difference. On topic, You definitely need more runs with each filter before you can say one is better than the other.

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SPDYGON View Post

But would that really make a whole MPH difference? I ran 2 runs with the K&N and one with the fram, both runs on the K&N were the same MPH, i gained a mph and dropped .2 secs off my fastest time with the K&N, using the fram. Honestly im selling my K&N now after seeing results. You can all try it yourself, and ill bet there very little if any difference but i was just posting my results since i had the 2 in the car and went to the track. Take it was you will.

To the other post, yeah i got stuck with civics the whole night, it was a import race day thing at a local drag strip with all the normal guys. Sadly me and a 07 GT ran the fastest times for a street car without slicks. The GT ran slightly faster then me but had ported heads and cams as well as bigger tires. Honestly though, racing the civics made it easier, it was fun knowing id beat them no matter how bad i messed up so i tried stuff. Id gotten more runs but it rained. I do find it funny looking at the last slip the civics qtr mile mph is my 8th mile mph.
    Last edited by 95camaroZNC; 08-10-2010 at 03:08 PM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I've gained and lost 2 mph running with zero changes to the car....your ET is pretty much 100% attributed to your .2 better 60ft.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I've gained and lost 2 mph running with zero changes to the car....your ET is pretty much 100% attributed to your .2 better 60ft.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

No gains with K&N = no sence in buying it.. I use mine to hold down my trash can liners.. You should see the shit it catches..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Thread Information