Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Resetting the cars computer

This is a discussion on Resetting the cars computer within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by CamaroCrazyChris No a HP tuner will not reprogram whats needed for what you have. and you can ...

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroCrazyChris
    No a HP tuner will not reprogram whats needed for what you have.
    and you can burn a hole in your piston by running lean because a lean condition produces seriously high tempuratures in your combustion chambers. The stock pistons were just not designed to handle this kind of heat for such extended periods of time, thus they break down and eventually melt through the top. Actually I would be more woried about your Cats than anything.
    Thats incorrect, HPTuners will tune what you need. Most tuners run this or EFILive.

I tune with HPTuners.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383, ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD
    Black 2008 GMC Yukon Hybrid 4WD (Totaled)

Black 2013 Chevy Volt (Gone)

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by shady1504
    SO would hp tuners do it instead of a dyno tune? How would I burn a hole in my piston? I'm not running nitrous so I don't really see a problem. Though my car is still under warranty so I'm not worried right now.
    HPTuners is what you use to do a dyno tune. Well if you run lean you can detonate, leading to problems.

Get it tuned.

Black
    2002 Camaro

Im sorry guys... Im not sure but I believe we have been talking about a Hypertec PowerProgrammer, (at least thats what I have been discussing) If thats the case then I didnt mean to mislead you Shady, The actual tuner HPTuners will program what you need, but I thought you were talking about those stupid black box PowerProgrammer's from Hypertech. I hope that you at least understand though that really everyone agrees that you SHOULD have a seriously lean condition on your hands. Sorry for anything misleading.

The Rookie
    Maybe you guys should list some companies where you can send your PCM off to be tuned???

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Get some software and learn to tune it yourself and you will have a better tune.

My car is throwing a code now, P0440. Can anybody help me?

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by shady1504
    My car is throwing a code now, P0440. Can anybody help me?
    Try replacing the gas cap

What would the gas cap have to do with the code?

P0440 is an EVAP code - first step in diagnosing is "A loose, incorrect, defective or missing fuel tank cap." Basically the PCM monitors the fuel tank pressure sensor for any seal leaks - then sets a code. Make sure the cap is on tight and sealing properly - SES will turn off after 3 ignition cycles and not seeing a problem.

The fuel cap is nice and tight, whats the next thing to check on?

Sent you a PM.

Ok I got a few questions about the code. This code has shown up before but I didn't get an ses light, the only reason I knew about it was because my cousin has a predator scanner nad would let be scan my car and I would just clear the code. The last couple of times that it has come up I got an ses light and that was the only code showing up. So I was wondering if any of my mods can cause the code? And if my ses light comes back on with this code will it be covered under warranty if I take it to the dealer since my car is still under warranty bumper to bumper? I've taken it in before with my mods to get a coolant leak fix and they didn't say anything about my mods.

Bumper to bumper warranty and didn't touch anything on the EVAP system - should be covered I'd think. Leave the code stored if you have to take it in. Sounds like a good dealership.

I did another scan today and got another code but no ses light. p1133 was scanned today but p0440 hasn't come back yet since I cleared it last. I'm thinking my 02 sensor might be bad. Anyone have any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting it?

Black
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge
    Now turn your key off. Reconnect your negative battery cable.
    Follow this driving cycle exactly.. http://www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html
    You will be amazed what this simple exercise does for your car and the little caveats/nuisances that pop up from time to time can be cleared by following these simple procedures......
    Hmm, this sounds like I really good idea for me. I'm at about 50k miles on a 2000, and I've been having a serious lack of power issue, although the engine runs very smooth. A couple questions about the drive cycle thing: How should I go about that given that I live in the city? I mean, since it says you have to start off with a cold start, I can't exactly pull right out of my dirveway and start doing those accel/decel maneuvers. It would take me 10 minutes or so to get somewhere I could do that. And if I go drive to some back road or something, then the engine is warmed up and I couldn't exactly do a cold start anymore. So:
    1) if I reset the computer, then start it up and drive for 10/15 minutes before doing the exact drive cycle, is that okay?
    2) will it help at all to reset the computer and not do the drive cycle, or will that just mess it up more?
    3) if I really need to do the drive cycle, any recommendations?
    4) maybe I shouldn't even bother with this? I don't have any mods (getting a lid soon), and there's no rough idle or misfires, just lacks power.

Thanks

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

You'll eventually do the drive cycle overtime if it's a daily driver....so don't worry about it. If it's not a DD then just go for a cruise on the freeway and around town on a day off from work or whatever.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information