Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Replacing window motor REGULATOR

I've been looking online, and I've found plenty of how-to's on replacing the window motor, but nothing that talks about the window motor regulator. Does anybody know if its possible to replace that yourself? How do you do it?

When my passenger side window motor went out, I was told by the shop to buy both the regulator and motor. Now that the driver sides out I don't much feel like paying an extra few hundred to get it fixed again. Any helps appreciated!

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Ill have to dig around, I got a service manual laying around that should have this in it

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I'm willing to bet the shop is trying to charge you for something you don't need. Regulators don't go out very easy. It is almost 98% of the time the motor.

I've had a 96 FB and now my 98 TA and out of all the times I've had to fix the windows it was only due to the motor going out, only one time did I need to fix something else that was not the motor. I've replace on the 96 drivers motor 2x, passenger 3x, on the TA - 1x for the drivers and 1 time for the passenger. I also did the passenger window fix from Autotrix (sponsor). If you haven't done that yet, do so. Best $40 I've spent on this car. It will save you passenger motor, more like give it its full life expectancy.

What issue are you having? Window is slow or won't go down/up? = motor

Window wobbles? Then that is something else entirely. If it wobbles let me know I can show you the most likely culprit.

You can replace you window motors yourself with very minimal tools. All you need is a drill, some bits, a #3 or 4 phillips screw driver, #2 phillips screw driver and either replacement rivets or small bolt with lock nuts to secure the motor in place. Takes about an hr to do, me about 30 mins because I've done it so many times.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Over the 3 fbodies i've owned i've had 2 regulators break

Navy Blue Metallic

damn what do you do?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

I use my windows practically every day. Almost never use ac unless it rains. And I dont even put it down all the way to keep the stress off of it. Just bad luck I guess
    The local lsx shop here says they've seen several break as well

Navy Blue Metallic

Are you talking about this?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

the one on the ss is welded

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    Ill have to dig around, I got a service manual laying around that should have this in it
    Thank you! Let me know if you can find it

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I'm willing to bet the shop is trying to charge you for something you don't need. Regulators don't go out very easy. It is almost 98% of the time the motor.

I've had a 96 FB and now my 98 TA and out of all the times I've had to fix the windows it was only due to the motor going out, only one time did I need to fix something else that was not the motor. I've replace on the 96 drivers motor 2x, passenger 3x, on the TA - 1x for the drivers and 1 time for the passenger. I also did the passenger window fix from Autotrix (sponsor). If you haven't done that yet, do so. Best $40 I've spent on this car. It will save you passenger motor, more like give it its full life expectancy.

What issue are you having? Window is slow or won't go down/up? = motor

Window wobbles? Then that is something else entirely. If it wobbles let me know I can show you the most likely culprit.

You can replace you window motors yourself with very minimal tools. All you need is a drill, some bits, a #3 or 4 phillips screw driver, #2 phillips screw driver and either replacement rivets or small bolt with lock nuts to secure the motor in place. Takes about an hr to do, me about 30 mins because I've done it so many times.
    I've heard it was most likely the motor too, but when I bought the car the passenger side window wouldn't work at all. That led the shop to believe that it could have been the regulator or motor, so I just bought both to make things easier.

The driver side motor rolls down okay, but when i roll it up it'll roll up only half to 3/4's the way before it completely stops. I than have to wait a good 5 or 10 minutes before I can roll it up again. I know its probably not the regulator, but you know..it's only like 20 bucks more to get it and replacing it would be a better option compared to leaving it in and having it break like tatertot's, which i'm sorry for btw tatertot.

Geez I wonder what GM was smoking when they thought about the window motors/regulators. These things go out like crazy. Same with the plastic headlight gears!

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    the one on the ss is welded

I welded mine back too. Kinda of a PITA to do but hey I saved $20 and time.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

I would swap the motor and do the fix. Also, good practice will add to the life of the motor. Meaning, lower/raise one window at a time and only do it when the car is running (higher voltage and higher amps).

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    I would swap the motor and do the fix. Also, good practice will add to the life of the motor. Meaning, lower/raise one window at a time and only do it when the car is running (higher voltage and higher amps).
    My passenger window wont even go down so that wouldn't be an option. Hopefully i get some time on my hands and i'm going to be replacing the driver regulator both motors. Definitely running a new power wire to the passenger motor off a relay as well.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Its not much but hope it helps

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Thanks for the post! It looks detailed enough I'd hope lol

It looks like a lot of fun, I'm excited to tackle it on myself but I'm nervous I might screw something up. How's it like replacing just the motor? Do you think, if YOU were gonna do it, you could remove and replace the regulator yourself?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Once the window is separated from the regulator it shouldn't be that bad

Navy Blue Metallic

just remember to put a piece of 2.4 to hold the window up or else it will slam down and break.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Right that's something I'm skeptical of. I'll pay close attention to that website that gives the pictures and step-by-step information, I can't think of the name of it off the top of my head. Just ordered the motor and regulator yesterday

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

guerillla i will start by replacing the motors 1st. its lot of work to get the regulators out if you dont need to. when you remove the motors carefully move (by hand) the window all the way up and down. If it moves easily and doesn't get stuck then most likely the regulator is good. take a look at the rollers and moving parts. Inspect them for damage. It you anything abnormal then replace. I had a few rollers that were bad because of one roller was bad initially. lubricate all moving parts before you are done.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Are you talking about this?

Click for full size
    I hate that piece so much...lol

Thread Information