Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Replacing torque arm - Possible issue

This is a discussion on Replacing torque arm - Possible issue within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by thearborbarber UMI has a replacement tranny mount that has a bracket to relocate the torque arm off ...

Quote Originally Posted by thearborbarber View Post
    UMI has a replacement tranny mount that has a bracket to relocate the torque arm off the tailshaft. Give Mark at KYspeed a call and he can help you out. They are sponsors and have great prices.
    The index in his online catalog doesn't list UMI,,,,hmmmm.

I'd like to see a picture of it before I commit to buying one.

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    The index in his online catalog doesn't list UMI,,,,hmmmm.

I'd like to see a picture of it before I commit to buying one.
    This is what you are looking for;

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=203

Mark doesn't list it on his website. He gets more and more inventory and cant keep up on the webiste. Just drop him a PM on the site or an email.

I bought mine from Sam Strano. He's a good guy too!

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Okay, that's what I was thinking you had.

I see Moser still isn't welding the brake line tabs on the axle tubes,,,ugh. Did they ever move the vent??

Not sure -- this is the first time I have done this. You'll see more pics as the install progresses. Moser provided a barbed nipple that screws into the axle which they want a section of hose attached to for the vent. And no brake line tabs.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Not sure -- this is the first time I have done this. You'll see more pics as the install progresses. Moser provided a barbed nipple that screws into the axle which they want a section of hose attached to for the vent. And no brake line tabs.
    Ya sounds like they are still the same.

I made my own brake line tabs to weld onto the axle tubes. I also welded up the threaded hole they provided for the vent, since it wasn't in the factory location, then redrilled the hole where GM originally has it (there is a flat surface for this) and then installed a factory GM plastic vent tube.

I went through alot of trouble on these rearends for a while to make them appear like a GM piece, only to find that Strange was already doing it,,,lol. One reason I switched.

Quote Originally Posted by thearborbarber View Post
    This is what you are looking for;

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=203

Mark doesn't list it on his website. He gets more and more inventory and cant keep up on the webiste. Just drop him a PM on the site or an email.

I bought mine from Sam Strano. He's a good guy too!
    Thanks for the link.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Tonight, I removed the torque arm bracket and cleaned out the bolt hole. I used a light and a mirror to look it over as best I could. There are no visible defects, so it must be right at the casting parting line. The leak has to be quite small... after setting all night and most of today I had just one drip forming. I'll check it out again tomorrow night. At this point the plan is to seal up the hole by either re-installing a bolt with rubber washers or utilizing something akin to a freeze plug as a temporary repair.

It's cheap and easy to just replace the tailhousing. They are still available through GM.
    That would be the right way to fix it.

What you are thinking sounds temporary at best, and there isn't anything that would suggest the leak could progressively get worse, or crack completely leaving you stranded on the side of the road.

Keep in mind, even with the torque arm removed, the driveshaft is also putting some strain on it. As the pinion angle of the rear moves up and down it's moving the driveshaft in and out as well as up and down.
    The u-joint is there for this (of course) but there is still a certain amount of pressure on that yoke, which is why the yoke bushing wears and generally needs replaced, as thats generally what causes the pinion seal to leak as well.

Short answer?? I'd replace the tail housing so you don't have to worry about it anymore.

NASCAR Go Fast, Turn Left ntimid8r's Avatar

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Just asking, but doesn't someone make a torque arm bracket now that somehow attaches the factory arm to the transmission crossmember?? It may have been a completely newly designed cross member with the bracket. Therefore removing it from the tailhousing. It would be a cheaper route to go since it doesn't require an entire $400 aftermarket torque arm.

For some reason I seem to remember seeing that somewhere before??
    BMR made a torque arm relocation kit a few years back. I already went with the spohn tunnel mount torque arm. Ed got one for his vert a long time ago and when I was underneath helping with his transmission...I got to see the BMR unit up close. Pretty nice set up actually....to take the pressure off the tailshaft plus keep the stock length torque arm.

Quote Originally Posted by ntimid8r View Post
    BMR made a torque arm relocation kit a few years back. I already went with the spohn tunnel mount torque arm. Ed got one for his vert a long time ago and when I was underneath helping with his transmission...I got to see the BMR unit up close. Pretty nice set up actually....to take the pressure off the tailshaft plus keep the stock length torque arm.

Click for full size
    Thanks, I like the looks of that one better. I wonder if they still make it?? That UMI piece is a bit pricey for what it is.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Click for full size
    That's REALLY close to my setup, if not the same. Hard to tell from the picture. Nice piece for sure.

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Thanks, I like the looks of that one better. I wonder if they still make it?? That UMI piece is a bit pricey for what it is.
    Yes still being sold...as far as their website shows. But pricey none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    That's REALLY close to my setup, if not the same. Hard to tell from the picture. Nice piece for sure.
    Looks easy to make too. With a tube bender and a welder you'd be in business
    My problem is making time to do it, since it's not high priority right now. Car has just been sitting anyway since Sept of 07,,,lol.

But for $250 I'd surely just make one rather than pay that price.

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    What setup do you have?

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Looks easy to make too. With a tube bender and a welder you'd be in business
    My problem is making time to do it, since it's not high priority right now. Car has just been sitting anyway since Sept of 07,,,lol.

But for $250 I'd surely just make one rather than pay that price.
    That's the downside to their business....IMHO. They design something which is fairly basic and not difficult to make....but anyone can copy it. Well as long as they can weld and fabricate a little.

That's the downside to their business....IMHO. They design something which is fairly basic and not difficult to make....but anyone can copy it. Well as long as they can weld and fabricate a little.
    I have the equipment and the skills,,,,I just don't have the desire right now

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

I have the equipment and the skills,,,,I just don't have the desire right now
    I hear ya...sometimes taking a break is good for the soul.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

It's cheap and easy to just replace the tailhousing. They are still available through GM. That would be the right way to fix it. . . .

Short answer?? I'd replace the tail housing so you don't have to worry about it anymore.

I do not disagree -- but automatic transmissions are still mystical beasts to me. Is it as simple as pulling the driveshaft and removing a few bolts to change it out? And can this be accomplished while still in the vehicle?

I'll look up a part number and check with a friend that owns a transmission shop later this week -- he may have one for all I know.

Thanks again FBJ!

Yes it's that easy. Can be done while still in the car. You'll lose a bit of tranny fluid.

Check with GM,,,I'm not sure if the new part comes with the bushing already pressed in and the pinion seal installed.

If not those can be bought at any local store. Bushing runs about $3-4 and the seal is about the same. Sometimes buying a GM part this stuff comes already installed and ready to go so it's a simple bolt on for the flat rate mechanics. It should also come with the tailshaft housing to transmission gasket. Which is usually a flat piece of thin steel.

It's a simple R&R swap, especially since you already have the torque arm off. Just remove the tranny mount and jack the trans up slightly to swap the tail housing. Wish I was closer, I'd give ya a hand.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Yes it's that easy. Can be done while still in the car. You'll lose a bit of tranny fluid.

Check with GM,,,I'm not sure if the new part comes with the bushing already pressed in and the pinion seal installed.

If not those can be bought at any local store. Bushing runs about $3-4 and the seal is about the same. Sometimes buying a GM part this stuff comes already installed and ready to go so it's a simple bolt on for the flat rate mechanics. It should also come with the tailshaft housing to transmission gasket. Which is usually a flat piece of thin steel.

It's a simple R&R swap, especially since you already have the torque arm off. Just remove the tranny mount and jack the trans up slightly to swap the tail housing. Wish I was closer, I'd give ya a hand.

Good deal. All my transmission experience is with old school Muncies. Our Corvette ate a tailshaft bushing so I have done essentially the exact same swap. Thanks for the offer of assistance -- you probably would not enjoy our single digit temps very much anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Good deal. All my transmission experience is with old school Muncies. Our Corvette ate a tailshaft bushing so I have done essentially the exact same swap. Thanks for the offer of assistance -- you probably would not enjoy our single digit temps very much anyway.
    Your vette should have a 350 turbo in it. If you've done a tailshaft removal on that it's virtually the same thing, just dealing with a torque arm on the Fbody.

Edit: You are right. We left that side of the country because we were tired of dealing with those cold temps and snow. I'm not anxious to go back,,,lol.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information