Maroon
    2000 Pontiac Formula

Replacing the Thermostat without buying a new housing

I've had my 2000 LS1 for a couple of months and I'm going to change the thermostat. I remember reading somewhere that it's possible to replace the thermostat only, and that it just twists out of the housing. Is that true, and if so will any aftermarket thermostat fit in the housing the way it's supposed to? OR do I need a specific type or brand??

All the replacement LS1 style thermostats I've ever seen are of the entire housing variety which is why they are so expensive. You can pop them out but you end up bending the tabs, they just aren't meant to come out that way.

The only replaceable thermostats that don't require a housing are the LS2 and up style waterpumps and as a result it's a simple $10 thermostat change.

I curse every year when I do the routine antifreeze and thermostat change on our LS1's. Stupid design.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I have always just replaced the entire unit. I believe I did disassemble the actual stat from the housing when I removed it for the first time just to see how things went together.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

I ordered the entire unit for mine and when I went to swap it found it was the ls2 style. Now my car is a 99 and was completely 100% stock when I got it and the pump is a GM pump. Only thing I can think is the original owner took it to the dealership for everything because every belt, hose are factory GM stuff and are in perfect condition for a 16 yr old car. So I figured they changed it to the updated version. Sucked to find out after everything was drained and had to reorder the new stat.
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Must be a later model thing. I've never had an issue with replacing my t-stat.

I tossed in a 165* one and haven't looked back even with how many times I've pulled the motor.

Only coolant issue was I needed to grind clearance for the 102 TB.

I would bet it's been back to the dealer and had the water pump replaced at some point in life. I had heard that GM replacement pumps went to the more conventional style thermostat housing(where you can buy a simple $10 stat) and only the OEM pumps come with a new thermostat housing and stat, basically the LS2 and up pumps have become the common replacement at the dealers. If you buy a reman pump at the local parts store, you get the same type LS1 pump and that expensive thermostat setup.

I was looking at this a few years ago. Our 2000 still has it's original pump and it's the entire thermostat housing as one unit ($70+ to replace) I've been waiting for the day this thing starts weeping so I could run to the dealer and buy a newer LS2 pump just to make my thermostat changes cheaper.

I wouldn't be bumbed if I were you. Now you can go to any parts store and grab a simple thermostat for cheap, and they keep those in stock around here. It's the LS1 stats complete with a housing that are expensive and never in stock anywhere in town.
    The best part is that the standard style stats actually work at the temperature they are designed at and aren't limited to 170 degrees thanks to the housing design.
    So you just eliminated another small headache on your car, basically 2 birds with one stone
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 07-13-2015 at 09:47 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Hmm...When I ran the part number it came up as a 98 pump. Of course this was around Jan when I did it so I know the data base could have been updated.

I know it isn't a LS2 style pump and by the age of the pump it looks like it was stock.

Here's a pic. You can see in the lower left the t-stat housing. Also I've been told that the 98's were the only pump that you can remove the pulley wheel off. Not sure how true that is.

Also - I'm not complaining.....

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

No I think FBJ was referring to me as mine was swapped out to the newer Ls2 pump, I only changed it because I wanted the 160 T-stat. Only reason I said it sucked I couldn't find a 160 only 180 and up had to reorder from Jeggs and they are close like Summit and I get stuff in just about a day. Had Frost fix my fans and it stays nice and cool

Thread Information