Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Replacement Roof Panel

This is a discussion on Replacement Roof Panel within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Correction to an earlier post. My buddy is currently getting his sail panel redone. I am unsure what they are ...

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Correction to an earlier post. My buddy is currently getting his sail panel redone. I am unsure what they are using right now. I will text him in the morning to find out more information but his dad owns a paint and body and now they are expirimenting

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

All the time spent attempting a repair would probably equal, or exceed, what it takes to remove the old panel and attach a new one utilizing urethane. In both instances, you still have to prep and paint the surface. I know it's a job I only want to do once.

Fire
    2002 SS

In for price of the 50 OEM's.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Well I have some time on my hands to find out information and to find a better way of going about this. Because if that is the case I will be the only one wasting the time and effort researching and finding a better method and thus helping out everyone on here who has not done this yet and saving them 500$ on a new panel. If NASA can launch a rocket into space with humans on board I think we can cumutively figure out a new solution and cost effective solution to this problem. I also understand your opinion and the reason you went about it. At the time that was the only option you had and went with it. As time has gone on though new technology and new epoxy/adhesive or bondo for plastic to steel is some where out there.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

It's not like no one else hasn't tried to find a solution. There have been a ton of discussions on this issue. The glue is toxic. That is pretty much the bottom line. But, hey, see what you can come up with as a long term fix. Many have tried before you. I'm sure that there would be plenty of people that would be grateful if you could.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    All the time spent attempting a repair would probably equal, or exceed, what it takes to remove the old panel and attach a new one utilizing urethane. .
    Bingo And with labor rates today?? Ouch.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Will do. If and when I find something I will let you all know. This issue has not cancered to my vehicle yet and I know it eventually will. If I can find the solution to better expedite this situation at hand I will.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

My brother-in-law owns a body shop -- has around 30 years experience in fixing everything imaginable, goes to training seminars and knows about the newest materials and techniques. He's the one that took a look at it... and then painted the replacement panel.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Well I am a mechanic on high end fighter jet aircraft and we use adhesives, expoxys, hysols open to the public and also only available to the military side or special contracts. Now I am not going to obviously try stuff that only the military or special contracted companies can issue or use. I am just going to use what is open to the public and go from there with my "own" expierience with hazmat and we have used it to fix plastic, steel, titanium, fiberglass and carbon fiber all the time to fix "unfixable" problems or come up with solutions in order to make mission or to fix the problem at hand. The first one I am going to try out is you average everday epoxy "double bubble." This stuff once it has cured has an amazing durability against debris and high end winds on exposed surfaces. Double bubble has a durability against JP5 (diesel aircraft fuel) as well. So we will see what happens. On top of that if I can not figure out the solution then I will reach out with my available resources of Rolls Royce mechanics and or Boeing representatives....like I said I will find the solution to this problem and use my own time and energy to save a lot of these members time and money on this.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Unless you grind away all of the panel down to the inner support structure you will be applying the epoxy to an unstable surface.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

When you are using substances made to bond and cure to unstable surfaces and withstand forces of winds up to over a 100mph I am pretty sure said substance will create a solid surface.

which one?
    which one?

Quote Originally Posted by 01SOMSS! View Post
    i have this problem too
    any of you guys tried to replace it at GM by corrosion warranty?
    Had mine replaced under warranty in '09. Pewter '02 ws6 was out of warranty at the time. Check the thread "ws6 with chicken pox." Brief story is there.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Just read through this whole thread - not sure I recall it back in 09 or not...

Don't have this issue on the garage queen...least that I know of. Not to say I don't or won't...haven't noticed it though.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I haven't either, but after having read this thread and others since I've been here, I just assumed that either the first or second owner of the car before me had it taken care of while it was still covered by GM. I hope so anyway, she's a driveway queen

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Yea I picked mine up off the Chevy dealership show room floor in 02 so the odds of me being that fortunate are nil lol.
    It's on jackstands.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Keeping it out of the elements is probably a help. But, from what I understand, it's only a matter of time... Tick tock

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I was hoping GM might have miraculously used the right adhesive on my car, but I saw someone else with a 35th LE with the same issue :'(

which one?
    which one?

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    Keeping it out of the elements is probably a help. But, from what I understand, it's only a matter of time... Tick tock
    All 3 of mine are 02s. They all have been garaged since day 1. So far, the only one afflicted was the pewter ws6 when it had 48k on the clock. My nbm ws6 has 3076 miles on it now, & I'm watching it real close as it's looking like it might be beginning, & my red ta hawk has 6412 miles on it & it's still perfect. They live in a cool dark garage & rarely come out & play, as if you couldn't tell by the mileage on 2 of them. Thanks gm for giving all of us something to look forward to.
    Last edited by pajeff02; 01-22-2014 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Deleted pseudo expletive.

Light Pewter (11)
    2001 Camaro

Why does everybody buy a very expensive replacement panel from 6LE,
    I live in the Netherlands Europe, so buying a panel from 6LE would cost me about 1200 dollar (includes oversized shipping and Taxes),

My Camaro (2001) has not started to bubble yet, but i went to a junkyard to get a spare panel, and cut off a panel from a 95, these panels didn't have this problem, and with the right kind of tools it was about 30 minuten of work, to get the panel undamaged off.

When the roof is off, i toke a paintstripper to heat the underside of the roof (or put it in the sun for a day on a sunny day), to get the adhesive soft, then use a cutting wire (for windows) and the panel is off, then use a razorblade to remove the adhesive on the inside.

and ready to paint, this solution cost a fraction of a new (not orginal) 6LE panel.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I think that removing an earlier panel in one piece would be an issue for most people. They are not very sturdy and can be easily broken. Did you saw it off like removing a windshield?

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread Information