Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Replacement Roof Panel

This is a discussion on Replacement Roof Panel within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I run an autobody shop and have had several people come in with this problem. A few of then showed ...

I run an autobody shop and have had several people come in with this problem. A few of then showed me the GM service buliten that says the old one has to be removed and replaced. The problem is that GM no longer makes it. Well, I have a supplier that has been making Corvette SMC parts from the original GM molds. He has come across about 50 of these SMC roof panels at the original GM manufactures wharehouse. My question is how much of a market/demand is there for the roof panel/halo? Should he just get the 50 of them or should he have a run of them made? He said he would have to have around five-hundred of them made to be economical. Also what would the price point be for these/how many people really want to get the bubbles fixed? It sounds like only the last few years had the problem. So it is not as big as a market as I originally told him. I thougt it was a 93-02 problem but I guess not. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Scott

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

It is a 99-02 problem. Alot of people want it fixed. There's a guy on LS1Tech.com who was making his own, I'll try and find out how much he charged. EDIT: Okay, this guy makes his own. I dont know if the mods will let this link stay up or not but here goes.

http://6litereaterdesigns.com/store/...roducts_id=241
    Last edited by INMY01TA; 04-07-2013 at 06:35 AM.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by 68pongto View Post
    I run an autobody shop and have had several people come in with this problem. A few of then showed me the GM service buliten that says the old one has to be removed and replaced. The problem is that GM no longer makes it. Well, I have a supplier that has been making Corvette SMC parts from the original GM molds. He has come across about 50 of these SMC roof panels at the original GM manufactures wharehouse. My question is how much of a market/demand is there for the roof panel/halo? Should he just get the 50 of them or should he have a run of them made? He said he would have to have around five-hundred of them made to be economical. Also what would the price point be for these/how many people really want to get the bubbles fixed? It sounds like only the last few years had the problem. So it is not as big as a market as I originally told him. I thougt it was a 93-02 problem but I guess not. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Scott
    If I needed one, I'd go looking for one. No way would I leave the bubbling paint without fixing it.
    -------------------------------------
    Kooks 1 7/8" race headers, Kooks ORY, Borla catback, Nitto 555R, LS6 intake manifold, Shaner S3 ported stock throttle body, SLP lid, smooth bellows, JAAM Ram Air kit, Elite Engineering catch can, LS6 valley cover, EGR and AIR deleted, Frost tune, and Simpson Racing child car seat in the back. 13.2 @ 108MPH

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    It is a 99-02 problem. Alot of people want it fixed. There's a guy on LS1Tech.com who was making his own, I'll try and find out how much he charged. EDIT: Okay, this guy makes his own. I dont know if the mods will let this link stay up or not but here goes.

1993-2002 Sail Roof Panel for T-Top FIBERGLASS, 6LE Designs LLC
    While I can appreciate the fiberglass one, these ones that he can get are OEM SMC panels. I wonder if anyone has any comment on the fit and quality of the aftermarket piece? I don't have a pony in the race, so I have nothing to gain. Hopefully this will generate more discussion about this problem, and hopefully lead to an OEM fix. Scott

Yep 6litre has been making them for quite some time now.

My wifes car has had the issue for years. I paint for a living and still have no interest in fixing it at this point in time. It's a driver and is getting nicks and scratches anyway, not worth my time while the car continues to be a daily commuter unless my wife decides on something else to drive at some point later down the road.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I just posted the link so the other guy could get an idea what to charge. Fwiw, I read on Tech where one guy said his 6liter one fit bad. I'd rather ave OEM myself.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I would also choose OEM 1st. But I always choose OEM 1st unless the aftermarket convinces me they have made updates/improvements/advantages over OEM.

white/black
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 68pongto View Post

Scott,

I would be interested in purchasing one, whether it is one of the original 50 he has, or the next run made if any.. I've got the problem on my '02.

Mark

Red
    2002 Trans Am WS6 (M6)

I'd probably buy one as well but interested in knowing if pricing has been determined yet.

Bright blue metallic
    1999 z28

I would like to see a price since mine is bubbling as well.

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

Down for price

White
    2001 camaro SS

On my 2001 SS that is a hard-top it is getting the bubbling. My question is that both the roof top and sail are a black not the paint of the car which is artic white, is there a fix for my kind or top and how does my top differ from the cars with painted sail's and roofs???
    2001 Camaro SS, LM 1, BMR LCA, relocation brackets, BMR springs, adj panhard bar, smooth below, lid, sub-frame connectors weld on, strut brace
    2000 WS6, ls6 intake, sub-frame connectors, slp maf, slp cat delete with slp y-pipe, electric cutout, strut brace, smooth below, slp lid, bmr LCA and RLB

Artic White
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 01SsRacing View Post
    On my 2001 SS that is a hard-top it is getting the bubbling. My question is that both the roof top and sail are a black not the paint of the car which is artic white, is there a fix for my kind or top and how does my top differ from the cars with painted sail's and roofs???
    My dad's 02 is doing the same thing. The only options are to remove a roof top from a 93-97 (I may have missed a year or two in there) and replace yours. I'm not sure if GM makes any hard top replacements.
    2002 Artic White SS 35th Wheels|Full Hotchkis Suspension|Koni SA|Magnaflow CME|SLP lid|www.fquick.com/The_Guz

White
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 01SsRacing View Post
    Same problem with my 2000. I'm second owner. First owner never got the roof repaired. My car is white with the black roof panel. Bubbles are really bad so, I'm looking for a solution too.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Hey I am not trying to point out the obvious but have any of you ever considered laying down and adhesive over the original panel and the sand and then paint? My friend has done this to his 2000 z28 and has not had any problems since. Just seems like a lot of work ripping a roof panel off for glue seeping through when you could sand everything down and lay an adhesive over the exhisting sanded glue and panel then spray....Iono.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

As far as I can tell, once the glue starts eating through the panel creating those bubbles, it's toast. Perhaps your friend was able to catch it before it got too bad

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I checked on reparing mine versus replacing it. The answer was that no matter what you do, the factory adhesive will eventually work its way through the panel again.

Yeah, you'll find that most shops including myself won't attempt the repair of an old panel because there is a pretty good chance it will come back, and that makes the shops look bad.

Personally if I were to fix mine or any others, I'd replace it completely.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

I understand and see where you are coming from. I also understand that just repainting it will not fix the problem. I am not saying do something shady or a temporary fix. Just seems like there should be a better and cost effective and time managment fix versus going through ripping the old sail panel off. And the problem is instead of someone trying to figure out how to fix the solution with the exhisting panel, the quick fix seems to to rip it off and then that just creates "the wet monkey theory." I dont know if I can find some knowledge or a really good fix on this rising and current problem I will pass it along.

I wish there was a cheaper and easier way. It seems the glue GM used (which was changed during 4th gen production) eats the panel. You might get away with grinding out the bad areas and trying to cover it with something and block it. But that's not to say it won't eat through that, or start coming through in another area that wasn't a problem previously. Might last a year or three, and that might be satisfactory for joe shmoe doing it himself, but that's not good business for a professional, as you may know people have a tendency to complain even 5 years after the fact. I even see people on here complain about clear coat problems on a 10 year old car, and even expect GM to cover it,,lol.

Which is why I would rather remove the panel, clean all the glue from underneath, use a new adhesive and attach a new panel.

Others that have had success (lasting more than 5 years) with different methods feel free to share.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread Information