Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Replacement Roof Panel

This is a discussion on Replacement Roof Panel within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by pajeff02 Ordered the roof panel from GM Parts Direct this morning -- with shipping the total came ...

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Ordered the roof panel from GM Parts Direct this morning -- with shipping the total came to $538.68.
    Ahh gotta love GM direct! Most of my bearings and seals for my TDC came from them ugh..

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 01SOMSS! View Post
    i have this problem too
    any of you guys tried to replace it at GM by corrosion warranty?

There was a GM Service Bulletin on the roof panel that is referenced in the other thread. I believe they stopped covering the problem in 2007.

Black
    2001 WS6

I just noticed the bubbles in my paint today

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

Does anyone have any directions for removing the panel without destroying it?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by CJREX View Post
    Does anyone have any directions for removing the panel without destroying it?
    I'm not sure you can.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Why not just have a paint shop re sand and re paint it the original unit?, I believe the heat of the sun is the culprit, my vehicle is garaged and covered, and so far I have not had a problem in the 9 + years I have owned the vehicle. I believe others on this board have had this proceedure done sucessfully.

SteveC
    Last edited by SteveC; 10-13-2009 at 09:09 AM.

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    Why not just have a paint shop re sand and re paint it the original unit?, I believe the heat of the sun is the culprit, my vehicle is garaged and covered, and so far I have not had a problem in the 9 + years I have owned the vehicle. I believe others on this board have had this proceedure done sucessfully.

SteveC
    I've read that the glue will simply bleed through again.

The problem is the actual glue that was used to laminate the panel. Sanding and repainting just covers it up for a period of time.

The garaged and covered is the reason yours is still OK. Mine was fine until it had to sit outside while I rebuilt my Jeep in the garage. Now I've got bubbles.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by CJREX View Post
    I've read that the glue will simply bleed through again.

The problem is the actual glue that was used to laminate the panel. Sanding and repainting just covers it up for a period of time.

The garaged and covered is the reason yours is still OK. Mine was fine until it had to sit outside while I rebuilt my Jeep in the garage. Now I've got bubbles.
    +1 and the panel is very flimsy too..

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    +1 and the panel is very flimsy too..

+2. I did check on whether stripping it and then applying an epoxy sealer coat before paint would work. Because the adhesive has "saturated" the panel it simply can not be fixed. Sure it may look good for a while, but it will eventually bleed through again.

The only remedy is replacing the panel and using urethane to attach it in place of whatever the factory utilized. As our panel is no good, it will be a destructive removal. I'll post pics of the job once we get started.

And yes, it is a real flimsy panel. I was quite surprised when I opened the box.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

+2. I did check on whether stripping it and then applying an epoxy sealer coat before paint would work. Because the adhesive has "saturated" the panel it simply can not be fixed. Sure it may look good for a while, but it will eventually bleed through again.

The only remedy is replacing the panel and using urethane to attach it in place of whatever the factory utilized. As our panel is no good, it will be a destructive removal. I'll post pics of the job once we get started.

And yes, it is a real flimsy panel. I was quite surprised when I opened the box.
    Good deal, I do'nt have the bubbles yet but it's an 01 so I know in the back of my mind I'm due for them..Sucks to have perfect paint/panel fitment and to know there is something under the panels that will eventually destroy my paint in spots ugh!

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

Good deal, I do'nt have the bubbles yet but it's an 01 so I know in the back of my mind I'm due for them..Sucks to have perfect paint/panel fitment and to know there is something under the panels that will eventually destroy my paint in spots ugh!
    im in the same boat

red
    2002 ss camaro

my wife's 98 camaro has a silver panel and has never had a problem with it, i want to paint my 02 ss panel red to match the car, we live in maine where it never gets real hot

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Looks like I'll be heading back to the body shop over the holidays to paint and install the new panel. The plan is to paint it off the car at this point in order to get good coverage on all the edges. Any reason not to attempt it in this fashion?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Looks like I'll be heading back to the body shop over the holidays to paint and install the new panel. The plan is to paint it off the car at this point in order to get good coverage on all the edges. Any reason not to attempt it in this fashion?
    That's how I would do it. Maybe roll the paint and clear under the edges of the panel too. I'd even apply it on the edges a little heavier aswell. Paint tends to "thin" on sharp edges... Good luck bud, let us know. Buy "roll" I don't mean use a damn' paint roller.. I'm talking about over lapping the underside of the panel slightly, and laying on a few more coats on the sharp edges..
    Last edited by Smittro; 11-17-2009 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Clearified
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

It must be a common problem, but thankfully it's never happened to any of my Camaro's.

SOM
    2002 SS

I have an 01 hardtop and am a little confused as to what you guys are talking about. I have a few little bubbles over where the drivers seat are. One i popped and just put a drop of clearcoat on top and it no longer holds water and streaks after I wash the car. If anything I maybe only noticed a streak once after I deliberately pressed on the cracked bubble. If it's so expensive to buy a new panel and some of you looked at scrap yards cant you just take off the panel and repaint it and glue that thing back on??

im confused.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    I have an 01 hardtop and am a little confused as to what you guys are talking about. I have a few little bubbles over where the drivers seat are. One i popped and just put a drop of clearcoat on top and it no longer holds water and streaks after I wash the car. If anything I maybe only noticed a streak once after I deliberately pressed on the cracked bubble. If it's so expensive to buy a new panel and some of you looked at scrap yards cant you just take off the panel and repaint it and glue that thing back on??

im confused.
    No you cant just take off a sail panel without breaking it. They are flimsy. The adhesive used by GM to glue on various panels is the cause. It can't be stopped, it can't be sanded and just painted, only replaced. The glue will just eventually eat through the new paint again.. The panels have to be removed and so does the GM adhesive.. Then with the use of a different kind of adhesive a new panel can be installed.. If you don't have the bubbles yet, ( I don't yet either) you WILL.. You can thank GM...

1966 Chevelle Convertible
    1998 Z/28, 1970 AAR Cuda

are you saying that the adhesive eats under the paint and causes a bubble? I have a 98 z28 hardtop and have not seen this problem. my friend has a 2000 t -top and he has had the streaking but no bubbles. is this just a problem with t-top cars?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Sixpack View Post
    are you saying that the adhesive eats under the paint and causes a bubble? I have a 98 z28 hardtop and have not seen this problem. my friend has a 2000 t -top and he has had the streaking but no bubbles. is this just a problem with t-top cars?

I think it only applies to the roof panel on T-top cars, but I may be wrong. After we purchased our car last August, I noticed some bubbles in the paint on it. When the car was parked out in the sun, the bubbles seemed to get worse. They will actually bleed fluid driving down the road on a sunny day.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

My car's ten years old now and nothing has happened there yet. I'm hoping that continues, but won't be surprised if it starts bubbling too.

No you cant just take off a sail panel without breaking it. They are flimsy. The adhesive used by GM to glue on various panels is the cause. It can't be stopped, it can't be sanded and just painted, only replaced. The glue will just eventually eat through the new paint again.. The panels have to be removed and so does the GM adhesive.. Then with the use of a different kind of adhesive a new panel can be installed.. If you don't have the bubbles yet, ( I don't yet either) you WILL.. You can thank GM...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information