Thread: Removing LS1?

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Removing LS1?

It's been a while since I've been on due to crazy amounts of work at school and working. I'm finally getting started on my WS6. The engine has to either be rebuilt or replaced. Either way, what's in there now has to come out. I know that the engine has to come out from the bottom. Has anyone done this on their own in their driveway or garage? I don't have a car lift of any sort but I have an engine crane and jackstands. If anyone can point me to another thread if there is one on how to remove/replace the LS1 on your own, I'd greatly appreceiate it.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Most I have seen done have had to jack all 4 corners of the car up and put it on tall custom stands. Usually getting the car's wheels up to 2 feet off the ground and then dropping the cradle with a long reach jack. If you use a cherry picker I think you have to build some sort of cross bar to lift the uni off the engine cradle. search around I know there are write ups on this site about it.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

There are several step-by-step guides posted on the net -- many with photographs of the entire process. Simply Google "LS1 engine removal" or something similar and you will probably find one that works for you.

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

Awesome. Thanks guys. I also got a price quote from a local shop and they said they if I got a replacement motor instead of trying to rebuild the old one, then they could do the swap for 1k. Should I save myself the trouble and time of attempting to do it myself and spend the money? Of course, if I did that, I would lose getting to have the pleasure of knowing that I built that car. Idk. Any suggestions/advice?

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

a thousand dollars is a thousand dollars. if you have the tools and the know how I always say why not. If you take your time and research how to do it right then, they are not going to do any better of a job than you. The differance is they do it more often than you. Hell there is a hot rod video some were of them doing it on a lift and they go through some of the basics.

Go down to the LT1 section there is a thread in there about out the top or out the bottom and someone posted a video of hot rod tv doing one. here i'll get it http://www.bowlingss.com/DownLoads/V...20_removal.avi

here is the thread. there are some pics in here http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123709

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

you dont HAVE to do it from the bottom....but if you have a way to lift it high enough...its easier

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by KnightmareWS6 View Post
    Awesome. Thanks guys. I also got a price quote from a local shop and they said they if I got a replacement motor instead of trying to rebuild the old one, then they could do the swap for 1k. Should I save myself the trouble and time of attempting to do it myself and spend the money? Of course, if I did that, I would lose getting to have the pleasure of knowing that I built that car. Idk. Any suggestions/advice?

Not sure what the issue is that you are attemtping to correct -- but you should note that the bore clean up on an LS1 is limited to something like .010". You can't bore them out .030" like the Gen I's and re-sleeving them is a costly endeavor.

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

Well, the engine isnt coming out for any upgrade reasons. At least, it wasnt going to. But it has to so I'm going to upgrade it while it is out. I bought the car as a project for 2k, which was a crazy steal. See, I live in Charleston, SC, which is on the coastline. And Downtown Charleston is on a Peninsula and the roads flood a lot when it rains. So the previous owner was driving it in Downtown one day and tried to go through one of the "puddles" which can get up to about 3 feet deep. Not knowing anything about cars obviously, she kept on driving. The water came accross the hood and being that the WS6 is Ram-Air, the water proceeded to go straight into the engine and water-logged it. So now the engine is toast and has to be completely rebuilt or replaced.

Thanks for the video and link. Hopefully that will help alot. I do have the know how so I think I'll just save the 1k and put that towards an SLP exhaust and upgraded ram air intake. I've swapped the engine out on my '95 Mitsubishi Eclipse daily driver and multiple 2nd gen Trans Ams so I should be good to go.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

See, I live in Charleston, SC, which is on the coastline.

I was there a couple of years ago for a seminar -- fond memories of bacon wrapped, crab stuffed shrimp and shrimp & grits. Beautiful area with lots of history.

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    you dont HAVE to do it from the bottom....but if you have a way to lift it high enough...its easier
    everytime i've seen people try to pull it from the top, they end up needing a pretty good amount of body work and paint afterwards (but i also may know a bunch of careless idiots). i would definitely suggest pulling it from the bottom ... unless you're extremely careful and take your time

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by tep98ws6 View Post
    everytime i've seen people try to pull it from the top, they end up needing a pretty good amount of body work and paint afterwards (but i also may know a bunch of careless idiots). i would definitely suggest pulling it from the bottom ... unless you're extremely careful and take your time
    Not only that, but if you remove it from the bottom, you can leave the transmission attached, saving the trouble of trying to disconnect the two while they are still in the car. Which as many know can be troublesome. Its really just a matter of disconnecting the appropriate harnesses and hoses and lowering the entire powertrain as one unit.

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Not only that, but if you remove it from the bottom, you can leave the transmission attached, saving the trouble of trying to disconnect the two while they are still in the car. Which as many know can be troublesome. Its really just a matter of disconnecting the appropriate harnesses and hoses and lowering the entire powertrain as one unit.
    +10

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

I didnt even think I was possible to actually get it out the top. I was already planning on doing it from the bottom. I just wasnt sure of the best approach for it.

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

I didnt even think I was possible to actually get it out the top. I was already planning on doing it from the bottom. I just wasnt sure of the best approach for it.
    trust me, you don't want to see it happen thru the top. it's like wedging an elephant crooked thru a dog door

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Taking it out the bottom will also give you room to clean up the engine bay and check out all the other parts on the front end to see if they need some attention. Also gives you time to plan out how you want to take the motor apart and tag and bag it.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Quote Originally Posted by tep98ws6 View Post
    trust me, you don't want to see it happen thru the top. it's like wedging an elephant crooked thru a dog door
    Could be ok at best if you took the heads off right? The blocks not too tall then

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

I think all the rest of the parts in the engine bay should be fine. I havent had a chance to really check anything because the battery wont hold a charge and needs to be replaced. I did get the radio to come on briefly and I must say, for a stock stereo, its got some kick to it.

And I was also thinking of having it painted while I worked on the engine. I'm not sure about it as far as money is concerned though. But if I can, I was thinking of going with a two tone sort of deal. I really like how the Corvette ZR1 looks with the color on the bottom half of the car and the black on the pillars and the roof. I was thinking of doing that kind of paint scheme with a blue close to the one that is on the ZR1. The Nocturne Blue on the '79 my dad has is somewhat similar. I think either one of those would look good on there. That would change it up a bit and make it stand out from the usual black, white, red, and pewter WS6s. I'll post a pic of the ZR1 now so ya'll can see the color that I'm referring to. I cant find a recent pic of the '79 T/A. I'll have to look on my other computer.

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

Thread Information