Thread: Reliable 500 HP

red
    2001 camaro

Reliable 500 HP

I am looking to build an naturally aspirated LS1 2001 to 500 hp at the rear wheels. What is the best route to take to get the power out of the engine and still keep the engine reliable and street worthy.

I do not want to put headers on the car due to the under the hood heating problems that can occur and keep the volume down on noise.

Alerady have an SLP cold air box set up and Y pipe.

Red
    '01 Silverado

if you want the power you have to let the car breath so you got to open it up

Black
    2000 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by smbyda View Post
    I am looking to build an naturally aspirated LS1 2001 to 500 hp at the rear wheels. What is the best route to take to get the power out of the engine and still keep the engine reliable and street worthy.

I do not want to put headers on the car due to the under the hood heating problems that can occur and keep the volume down on noise.

You will need a head/cam/intake and full bolt-ons including long tube headers. You can get a tame catback and still keep it from being too loud.

black
    1999 T/A

Do u mean reliable or streetable? If you want an honest N/A 500rwhp that you can actually drive your probably gonna need more cubes.
    I may be wrong but i don't know how friendly the cam that can make those numbers in a 346 will be.
    1999 Trans Am, BBK SSI, magnaflow, MSD Wires, Tr55, Pro 5.0 shifter, centerforce clutch, hotchis sfc, kyb's, slp lid and bellows, pacesetter lt, ory and a noisy rear end.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Long Tube Headers ceramic coated will be cooler than your stock exhaust manifolds you have now.
    So....
    LT Headers w/catback
    Heads
    Cam
    CAI
    FAST Intake
    Nick Williams Throttle Body
    Underdrive Pulley
    Electric Water Pump
    Fuel Pump w/larger injectors
    Tune
    Your now in the mid 400's which is about max for a stock bottom end.....now upgrade your rear end and chassis

Impounded
    99 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by smbyda View Post

Theres no way you can get 500 rwhp without heads.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Procharger?

Impounded
    99 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Procharger?
    It'll make too much noise lol

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

We really need to take a look at the priority of your various goals.

If your ultimate goal is to get to an honest 500 rwhp (N/A), then you are going to need to make a few choices/sacrafices.

500 rwhp N/A on a stock cube motor is really starting to squeeze things a bit, however it can be accomplished. In order to accomplish this, you will need a pretty aggressive cam matched with a set of very good heads. You will ABSOLUTELY need full exhaust (and that will include headers, cutouts/duals/etc. and no cats).....Sure it might be able to be accomplished with cats on the car, however that is just one more restriction you'll have to find a way to overcome. Toss all of the bolt ons mentioned in the thread above and with a good tune, you have a shot at getting there.

After taking a close look at what it will take to get to 500 rwhp N/A, you might realize that you just sacraficed a good bit of driveability (street manners), you didn't meet your criteria for "no headers" and you should have a pretty aggressive exhaust note.

If you're still dead set on 500 rwhp, let us know and we can give you a few suggestions, however if you're looking for certain performance under certain conditions (i.e. running 10's or 11's with a street friendly setup, etc.) give us a little more info on that and we can help.
    2002 Camaro SS M6, 2.5 PRC 5.3L heads, TFS 228/230 cam, FAST 92, bolt ons + a 10 lb bottle in the back.

1989 Corvette L98, A4, Full bolt ons, etc.

Black
    2000 Z-28

Just follow what this guy did and you'll have your 500rwhp....511rwhp actually.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40225

Thread Information