Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Registration in NY if the AIR/EGR was removed

Hi guys. I'm in the process of selling my bird. A few years ago the EGR and AIR pump was removed since we have no inspections here in FL. I sent the PCM to Frost to elimated the codes and to the basic tune. The car still has OEM manifild with all original cats. The guy interested on buying is going to school in FL but want to get the car registered in NY and use his NY plate.

I was reading on the NY registration and they do have inspections there. It says it must comply with cali standard unless exempt. This what the NY site mentions on cali standards:

California emissions standards | New York State DMV

Will he be able to register the car there meaning he can pass inspection?

Thanks. Jay

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    Hi guys. I'm in the process of selling my bird. A few years ago the EGR and AIR pump was removed since we have no inspections here in FL. I sent the PCM to Frost to elimated the codes and to the basic tune. The car still has OEM manifild with all original cats. The guy interested on buying is going to school in FL but want to get the car registered in NY and use his NY plate.

I was reading on the NY registration and they do have inspections there. It says it must comply with cali standard unless exempt. This what the NY site mentions on cali standards:

California emissions standards | New York State DMV

Will he be able to register the car there meaning he can pass inspection?

Thanks. Jay
    I've always heard that the people in California have to run emissions hardware and EGR to pass...you need to find out if New York pops the hood and examines the system at all because thats what will get him. If they do a sniffer test and the car has cats you are good to go and if the EGR system is set to "ready" in the tune the PCM scan will be ok as well, but if they visually look for the system he will fail. The PCM scan looks for the readiness state of the emissions systems and if those show not ready or N/A it could cause some issues...I doubt that your base mail order tune has those systems set to ready. Frost more than likely set it up so the emissions systems are just turned off and wont throw an SES code "which is what most people do". One way to find out is to take your car to somewhere that has a PCM scanner and run a readiness scan on it to see what shows up...
    Last edited by theorangeguy; 08-29-2014 at 05:32 AM.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Thanks. He is really interested on the car but hasn't mentioned anything about this. It's really up to him but I just don't want the guy to get screwed when he is trying to register it. I sent frost an email message asking him about the pcm. I'm taking the car to a mechanic tomorrow and he is inspecting the car for him. I'm not sure if he will check readiness status of the system. I really want to sell the car and he has been the only potential buyer.

Black / White

Thanks. He is really interested on the car but hasn't mentioned anything about this. It's really up to him but I just don't want the guy to get screwed when he is trying to register it. I sent frost an email message asking him about the pcm. I'm taking the car to a mechanic tomorrow and he is inspecting the car for him. I'm not sure if he will check readiness status of the system. I really want to sell the car and he has been the only potential buyer.
    welp...if you want to sell it, sell it and let him know that work has been done to the car and leave it at that. Be sure he knows that Florida doesnt really have emissions so you dont know what it will do in a really strict state like New York, but you dont have to not sell the car...just be honest if you want to be, some people wouldnt mention it at all but im not that kind of person.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I mentioned everything the car has done in the add and he owned an older firebird.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I mentioned everything the car has done in the add and he owned an older firebird.
    Here in CA if you sell a car and it doesn't pass, the seller is responsible for paying the cost to make it pass. Just a thought.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I appreciate the info. But if a person buying a car out of state, how is that seller's responsibility? I can understand if i sell it in a state that has inspections because the car should had prior inspections. Like I said before he is aware of everything the car has as far as mods and stuff. We have been talking for while. Im showing him tomorrow was has been done to the car and he is having his own mechanic inspect it. I don't live in the state requiring the inspections so how should I know?

I understand and I appreciate you guys and girl advise on this subject but how am I supposed to know if a seller can pass inspection on any other state? I just can't. I believe that if he is aware of what was done to the car, has the vehicle inspected and signs a bill of sale he is pretty much responsible for the car at that point. Won't you agree?

Black / White

I appreciate the info. But if a person buying a car out of state, how is that seller's responsibility? I can understand if i sell it in a state that has inspections because the car should had prior inspections. Like I said before he is aware of everything the car has as far as mods and stuff. We have been talking for while. Im showing him tomorrow was has been done to the car and he is having his own mechanic inspect it. I don't live in the state requiring the inspections so how should I know?

I understand and I appreciate you guys and girl advise on this subject but how am I supposed to know if a seller can pass inspection on any other state? I just can't. I believe that if he is aware of what was done to the car, has the vehicle inspected and signs a bill of sale he is pretty much responsible for the car at that point. Won't you agree?
    California is a weird state tho...keep that in mind. I dont know that any other state would have a law like that but its certainly something to look into. The way to possibly get around it is to include in the bill of sale "buyer is responsible for anything that is needed to pass emissions in the state he is moving too." its added insurance for you but I doubt you'll need it...California has some REALLY screwy laws...

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I just threw that out there because you made mention of CA standard emissions for NY. I'm unaware of the laws, but like I said, it was just a thought and maybe worth looking into. Because really, is NY that far behind CA in the abundance of stupid laws?

I also say put all in the bill of sale

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Thanks everyone!

Thread Information