Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Rebuild LS1, or drop in LS2/LS6?

This is a discussion on Rebuild LS1, or drop in LS2/LS6? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by ScrapMaker I have heard that there are third-party shops that are GM-certified to install motors... I will ...

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    I have heard that there are third-party shops that are GM-certified to install motors... I will have to look into this more closely... I also need to see what the "warranty" really covers... I know that the majority of motors that will exhibit problems, do so in the first 30k miles....
    i know the break in time is pretty crucial but im not too schooled in that area...
    you just have to remember that like it or not, GM will only warranty what they will make money off of. im pretty sure they hate building bad ass, reliable engines.....
    i would think that you wouldnt have any issues with a crate ls6 at all though.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the warranty issue. I personally wouldn't let the warranty make or break my purchase. I more or less like the crate motor idea for quick swapping ability with very little down time and the fact that dealing with some machine shops can be a huge pain. They have lead times, first come first serve,,,etc....last motor I had done took over 7 months for machine work alone,,,I assembled it myself. Thats a long time to wait and have your car down. That kind of stuff gets old.
    A crate engine you could have swapped in and running again over the weekend.
    I know GM performance parts has a nice website where you can look at different crate motors. There was a write up in a recent magazine about how GM runs their crate motors through vigorous testing for sustained rpms and several hours to ensure durability etc...I wouldn't hesitate for one if I were in need of a motor.
    I beleive any cam swap whether it be a GM performance cam or aftermarket would probably raise a red flag with the warranty police. This usually means to them,,,the motor was intended for performance driving, racing etc...and warranty claims get kinda sticky when that stuff happens. Best thing to do is call around as suggested and see what they say.
    I wouldn't let that stop you though. Stick the cam in yourself while the engine is on a stand,,very easy at that point. Buy a kit that comes with springs and pushrods etc...shove the motor in and have some fun.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    damn right....and scrap maker, if you really want a strong all around f body that can be a dd and a weekend warrior, you need to beef up the drivetrain alittle. mybe a 12 bolt with 33 or 35 spline axles.....if you dont want to shell out that much cash there are other options like a ford 9 inch rear but you may have to get it shortened.
    and just like larry said, the 10 bolt rears have broken frequently under STOCK power. sure you can push the 10 bolt hard, but i would not launch it very hard nor would i launch it hard with a drag radial. i drive the shit out of mine, but i never launch it, even when going from a dig (ok maybe a light launch @2000rpms). i daily drive mine and dont have the money to swap in a 12 bolt if i break the 10. but it takes a beating and comes out just fine.
    There is so many companys making bolt-in 9 inch housings you can find them pretty cheap now.... I've got them for $700 delivered without third member. That was a powder coated housing 31 spline Moser axles and a new ring and pinion. Third members are plentyful at all the salvage yards. Look for one with a large N cast into the top of it. Those are the stock nodular iron ones they are stronger than the regular 3 member. Plus ALL Nascar teams run 9 inches so Detroit Lockers are easy to get on the web for $250-325 now.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

I'll definitely look into the differential down the road... I just wont rag on it too much until I can afford to have a good one put in... According to GM dealership logs, my car had it rebuilt at like 60k miles... I still leave two perfectly even rubber marks when I burn out... A lot of the Trans Ams and Camaros at the track were leaving one-wheel wonders... I guess that's what happens when these torsen limited-slip rear-ends go out...

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Whoa, I called a dealer, and they gave me a quote of 21.5 hours labor, (regardless if I get an LS1 or LS6,) and they are claiming that the LS6 costs around $7100...

that's hella expensive... and that's not including any kind of custom tune whatsoever... I could swap the motor by myself in less time than they are quoting...

Ya they are going to quote you whatever their labor book tells them it takes, but in reality it will take the mechanic 1/2 that time. When I worked for dealerships they would get a car done in 2 hours but the estimate they gave the customer was for 6-10 hours,,,so the car would just sit outside and they would wait a while to call the customer to pick the car up to avoid screaming customers mad about getting charged labor that they didn't get. Happens all the time.
    Somewhere in this post someone listed a place to get the LS6 for $4,000 which is a deal. Check into that and a few other places..there are bound to be other deals out there,,,,for the quote you got, your starting to get into LS7 territory,,,,LOL. You may want to check in your area for a custom tuner that can tune the car once the motor is in,,,and there are places you can send the computer to as well. It's up to you. Larry.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Now I think I should either have my LS1 rebuilt by a local shop, or find a used LS6 I can drop in... for instance, I think I saw an LS6 on here with 10k miles going for $2600 or so... Seems like that's my best bet...

if I put $10,000 into a car worth $13,000, I'd be an idiot...

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Now I think I should either have my LS1 rebuilt by a local shop, or find a used LS6 I can drop in... for instance, I think I saw an LS6 on here with 10k miles going for $2600 or so... Seems like that's my best bet...

if I put $10,000 into a car worth $13,000, I'd be an idiot...
    i like you man but you are confusing me with all this now...
    i wanna get a divorce because of this... and i dont even know why!!!!

Dane Cook
    Vicious Circle!!!!

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

I was thinking of putting in a crate LS6 at first... but after calling around, it looks like I'm going to be paying about $10k to get that setup, plus tuning costs...

So now it seems like the only logical choices are: 1) Trade the car in at a dealer, 2) Have the LS1 rebuilt, or 3) Buy a gently-used LS6 and drop it in...

If I were to actually spend $10k to get the crate LS6 installed, I would be an idiot because if I were to be involved in an accident, my fault or not, I could not get much more than $13k-$14k for the whole car... even though I would then have $23k invested in it...

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

I agree, the labor for the install at a GM dealer would be outrageous and there are so many ways for them to back out of the warranty as it is... I'd love to have a valid warranty on my motor but I don't think it would be worth all the $ and hassle for the install.

I agree that your best bet would be to get a low mileage LS6 and go a small step up on the cam (Hotcam), do full exhaust, and then a tune. Get everything done with someone you trust instead of the dealer so you know it's done right for much less. That should meet your performance goals and stay in your budget.

Also, I think my insurance agent said that if I wanted to I could insure my aftermarket parts over the value of my car. So in the event of a total loss, the car is payed out based on it's depreciated value and the insured parts are payed out on their own undepreciated rider. It would make your premiums go up a little but I think the peace of mind would be worth it to you.

Hope this helps!

Man don't worry about what the car is worth or resale value, insurance value. You can't worry about wrecking it and other things that are out of your control, and you don't know for sure if that would even happen or not. If you beat yourself up over that stuff you will never sink money into another car as long as you live. If that truely bothers you then you need a cheap $200 beater car to drive and keep the 4th gen for pleasure.
    Fix the car for your pleasure only and don't worry about blue book value. If you don't plan on reselling the car then don't worry about it.
    I can't begin to tell you how much money I have sunk into my SS 454 Chevelle, with 4 completely different motor combinations over the last 20 years, 3 transmissions, etc.....although these cars are worth alot of money,,,I have more in it than I could ever dream of selling it for, or the insurance company would pay me for that matter. But why care about that? I have had that car for over 20 years, and will have it till the day I die. It's a hobby and alot of fun. I will pass it on to my son who will probably continue to stick money in the car as well
    If you really like your 4th gen, then put a motor in it that makes you happy. It gives you a huge advantage, one that not many people consider.
    If you put a motor in it,,,,you know what you have, you have been through the car and know every nook and cranny. If you sell the car and buy another used car,,,then you are just getting someone elses screw ups that might plague you down the road, you never know what has been done or needs done or what is hidden that will show it's ugly head down the road. And with enough mileage you will be contemplating a motor change in that as well.
    If the car you have is in great shape, it sounds like a perfect candidate for a new motor. Drive it another 100,000 miles and enjoy it. Look at other crate motors,,,there are plenty of other alternatives that are less than half the cost of that LS6 you are looking at. A nice new crate LS1 would work nicely,,,stick a nice camshaft in there with some headers etc....it's plenty of power for a daily driver. There are a ton of "cam only" LS1's with bolt ons running very low 12's and even faster, and driven daily. Larry.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Thanks for your advice. Where do you guys suggest buying crate LS1s/LS6s?

Right now I think I'm going to either have my LS1 rebuilt, or drop in an LS6 with a tune... I think the costs are similar...

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

Try these guys: http://local.yahoo.com/details;_ylt=...cb=Y18agOKx6kJ

They may have either a built up LS1 or rebuilt LS6. They can take your old LS1 and give you a core credit towards a fresh motor.

Hope this helps.

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    i like you man but you are confusing me with all this now...
    i wanna get a divorce because of this... and i dont even know why!!!!

Dane Cook
    Vicious Circle!!!!
    ARGH!!!
    D*mn you, door kicker!!!

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

Thanks for your advice. Where do you guys suggest buying crate LS1s/LS6s?

Right now I think I'm going to either have my LS1 rebuilt, or drop in an LS6 with a tune... I think the costs are similar...
    Dude. You are in Texas, right? That is like the Mecca of all that is LSx. Call some competent shops about getting your engine rebuilt with a little "extra" like a mild cam and better springs/pushrods. Some of the links I provided earlier were for Texas Speed...they should be able to get you on the right track.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by danziger View Post
    Dude. You are in Texas, right? That is like the Mecca of all that is LSx. Call some competent shops about getting your engine rebuilt with a little "extra" like a mild cam and better springs/pushrods. Some of the links I provided earlier were for Texas Speed...they should be able to get you on the right track.
    Yeah I called a few shops, and so far, no one will touch LS1s... Mostly they just work on older cars... no computers... I'll try the ones you guys recommended...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information